Sponsored by:

Install of V1, vaistech, sirius - advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-05, 04:48 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OMLooper
Well, I guess I deserve being called a newbie and being removed from the GS thread. I have already searched quite a few posts but I didn't give the proper detail of what I was looking for; installing a V1, Vais, and iPod photo into SPECIFICALLY a 2nd gen GS430.

First, the Vais product. I haven't received the product yet, first of all. But, in speaking with Vaistech, the best place to install their product is BEHIND THE CLOCK. I guess the first question might be, would the V1 conceal unit fit WITH the Vais product. I guess I'll find out.

Second, properly mounting the iPod AND the Sirius Sportster. Again, in the spirit of half-assed research, I'm looking for a good, external FLEXIBLE mounting bracket for the Sportster. You know, something like those old cell phone brackets that mounted to either the floor or, gasp, the cigarette lighter and was connected to a sturdy flexible tube. It would mount between the passenger seat and the center console and could be pushed down out of the way. With the iPod, since I'll be using the car audio system to control it, I could just put that in the center console I suppose. Any alternative configs to suggest?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Bill
Did you get you Vaistech AIC-100i yet ? I just bought the Vaistech AIC-100 and I have not firgured where to put it . I took off the radio/clock and it does not seem like there is enough room to stuff the unit behind there w/o cutting the mounting bracket off.??
Old 10-06-05, 10:36 AM
OMLooper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GILLEXUS,

I had my installation done yesterday at a local A/V store recommended by my Lexus dealer.

They installed and mounted my Sirius Sportster (power tap, antenna placement, floor mounting), Valentine1 (power tap, cable run), and the Vais AIC-100i (harness connection, cable run, system test).

Initially they tried installing behind the clock but also found there was no room. I believe they wound up installing it behind or slightly to the side of the glove box. They then ran the iPod cable to the lower storage area of the center console. A perfect location since you don't need to see the iPod while using it with the Vais system.

And, as far as functionality, the AIC-100i works as advertised with a couple of quirks.

1) On initial connection of iPod to cable, the Lexus head unit thinks that playlist 1 is the first song stored on my iPod rather than actually playlist 1. Once I go to playlist 2, 3 or whatever and THEN go back to playlist 1, it then recognizes it as playlist 1.

2) At one point the AIC-100i did not recognize the iPod at all. The Vais logo on the iPod was flashing and the Lexus audio portion of the Nav screen was only showing 1 playlist and was not playing anything on the iPod. Panic was setting in. Knowing that at times the iPod integration with iTunes can be a bit flaky I decided to do a hard boot on the iPod; held down Menu and center button at same time for >5 seconds. After completing hard boot of iPod and reconnecting, everything worked fine.

I'll report more if anything happens but as for now, it's pretty freaking cool.

Bill
Old 10-06-05, 06:52 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

we need some pics...
Old 10-07-05, 07:26 AM
OMLooper
Driver School Candidate

Heading to Chicago for the weekend this morning. Will post pics early next week.
Old 10-07-05, 12:54 PM
krburell
Rookie

OMLooper,

Does the Lexus head unit show any song info (artist, title, album)??

Thanks,

Keith
Old 10-12-05, 01:48 PM
OMLooper
Driver School Candidate

Keith,

My head unit does NOT show any song info. This solution works for me 'cause I use playlists almost exclusively and I don't have any more than 8-10 going at any given time. Note, in the Vaistech system, each playlist is treated like a CD.

Here are some pics of the system.

Bill.

First iPod control nav screen.
Attached Thumbnails Install of V1, vaistech, sirius - advice-051012-lexus-gs430-ipod-cntrl-navlow-res.jpg  
Old 10-12-05, 01:52 PM
OMLooper
Driver School Candidate

iPod storage in center console
Attached Thumbnails Install of V1, vaistech, sirius - advice-051012-lexus-gs430-ipod-storage-consolelow-reslow-res.jpg  
Old 10-12-05, 01:54 PM
OMLooper
Driver School Candidate

Valentine1
Attached Thumbnails Install of V1, vaistech, sirius - advice-051012-lexus-gs430-valentine1low-res.jpg  
Old 10-12-05, 01:55 PM
OMLooper
Driver School Candidate

Valentine1 concealed display
Attached Thumbnails Install of V1, vaistech, sirius - advice-051012-lexus-gs430-valentine1-concealed-displaylow-res.jpg  
Old 10-12-05, 01:57 PM
OMLooper
Driver School Candidate

No Wires!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Install of V1, vaistech, sirius - advice-051012-lexus-gs430-no-wires-low-res.jpg  
Old 10-12-05, 01:59 PM
OMLooper
Driver School Candidate

satellite mount
Attached Thumbnails Install of V1, vaistech, sirius - advice-051012-lexus-gs430-sirius-gooseneck-mountlow-reslow-res.jpg  
Old 10-12-05, 02:00 PM
OMLooper
Driver School Candidate

Vais Aux port for Sirius shows up as CD 11 in separate display.
Attached Thumbnails Install of V1, vaistech, sirius - advice-051012-lexus-gs430-aux-sirius-navlow-res.jpg  
Old 10-12-05, 02:09 PM
OMLooper
Driver School Candidate

One final note.

Both the connection to the iPod and the connection to the Sirius make the occasional high pitched whirring sound that seems to be tied into acceleration. Vaistech recommends a ground loop isolator to counteract the "iPod hard drive noise". This whirring does not sound like hard drive noise and, besides, the Sirius connection also makes the noise.

I have to say that this whirring is not a show stopper. It does seem to be somewhat sporadic and only really is an issue when listening to the spoken word. i.e. NPR on Sirius or one of my tech podcasts on the iPod. When listening to music at moderate to high volume I don't hear any whirring at all.

Before installing a ground loop isolator for both connections (along with associated install costs), does anyone have any other ideas?

Bill
Old 10-12-05, 07:48 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OMLooper
One final note.

Both the connection to the iPod and the connection to the Sirius make the occasional high pitched whirring sound that seems to be tied into acceleration. Vaistech recommends a ground loop isolator to counteract the "iPod hard drive noise". This whirring does not sound like hard drive noise and, besides, the Sirius connection also makes the noise.

I have to say that this whirring is not a show stopper. It does seem to be somewhat sporadic and only really is an issue when listening to the spoken word. i.e. NPR on Sirius or one of my tech podcasts on the iPod. When listening to music at moderate to high volume I don't hear any whirring at all.

Before installing a ground loop isolator for both connections (along with associated install costs), does anyone have any other ideas?

Bill
All these noises will probably go away if you ground all of the equipment to one single ground point, using 12 gauge wire or larger if possible, and then run a dedicated ground line to the negative terminal of the battery (only). Do not use body grounds or the grounding that is in the factory wire harnesses. Keep ground wires as short and direct as possible. Also make sure your headunit is grounded to this point as well.

Nice Sirius unit. Great company.

Last edited by engin_ear; 10-12-05 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-13-05, 05:49 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish the song info would show up on the tv

Quick Reply: Install of V1, vaistech, sirius - advice