Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Want to mute stock amp with Alpine nav

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-01, 07:16 AM
jmezo
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a RX300 with an Alpine nav unit and I want to mute the stock radio when the nav has something to say. I belive the nav has an output wire to do this. My question is does the RX stock amp have a mute input wire and what color is it?
Thanks,

Old 07-18-01, 12:30 AM
kobiejohn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know the color of the wire but if you know the amps location you should be able to use the navs output to trigger a relay and break the remote turn on lead on the factory amp.

The wire should be easy to test for, you probably could find it behind the factory radio.
Old 07-20-01, 10:53 AM
jmezo
Pit Crew

Originally posted by kobiejohn
I dont know the color of the wire but if you know the amps location you should be able to use the navs output to trigger a relay and break the remote turn on lead on the factory amp.

The wire should be easy to test for, you probably could find it behind the factory radio.
I found the amp... lots of wires....
If I cant find the remote turn on lead could I break the power lead to the amp using a relay?
Old 07-20-01, 11:03 PM
kobiejohn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be able to test for the remote turn on wire with the help of a friend, have someone turn the radio on/off while using a multimeter or logic probe. Look for a wire that get + power when you turn on the radio and loose + power when turn off.

On breaking the main power this probably would work, but you may get a poping noise when it loose/recieves power. Also try to find the factory fuse for the amp and make sure the relay is able to handle this much amprage. Most handle around 30-40amps, but you can get higer rated relays.

Good luck!!
Old 07-22-01, 07:55 PM
jmezo
Pit Crew

Talking I found It !

I found the mute wire. Behind the stock head unit center connector, purple/white wire. If you ground this wire the radio/cd will mute. The Alpine nve851a has a mute wire pink/blue. Connect the wires and when the nav voice comes on the radio goes off. Its cool
A purple/white wire at the amp end is not the same wire! Splice in at the radio side.

Have a nice day,
John