Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

McIntosh amp question ..need to know soon!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-01, 06:24 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Anybody know the difference between the MC431 amp and the MCC444. I know the latter has 4x110 whereas the former has 4x100 output. I know the MC431 has been discontinued for a while. I could get a good deal on it and was just wondering if there are any differences other than the slightly more powerful output on the newer model. Are there any advantages of getting the MCC444?
Thanks for any kind of help
Old 07-18-01, 10:06 AM
sirsomo
Pole Position

I dont think McIntosh didnt any great changes between those model years. you are probably getting a good deal because it is a discontinued model, which is fine. Just try to make sure its not B stock, percy runs mcintosh (I believe), or go to theautophile.com for more info
Old 07-18-01, 06:54 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you can get a good deal on the 431, jump on it! Even though it may have been discontinued (I haven't heard official word), it's still one kick *** amp. Signal to noise and channel sep numbers are pretty much the same. Still, it's surprising that a 7 year old amp (they were introduced in '94) can still knock off pretty much anything new on the market. Overdesigned, overbuilt. Expensive, but worth every penny IMO. The real test is putting in a HIGH END head unit with the speakers and processor. Feed it a clean signal and you'll get a clean signal out with all the nuances of the original recording, provided that the rest of the system is as "transparent sounding". You WILL pick out many many details that weren't heard before...including all of the mixing errors.

Percy
Running MC4000M and MC440M amps. Highly modded.
Old 07-19-01, 12:34 AM
amlin423
Pole Position

Thanks for replying guys

Percy...I am planning on using the alpine cva-1006 monitor w/ dvd ....I was trying to decide whether or not to go all out in SQ (in which case i would've gotten the sony c90) but the alpine gadgets looked too cool to pass up....am going to go w/ dyns....considered focals but their magnet is too darn big....oh well...

I wanted to put a eq in my system too for some tuning and am considering a symmetry epx but really prefer the ease of tuning with ***** and dial in dash ... and my friend suggested the audiocontrol four.1...it's an EQ/LineDriver w/ 13 volt out into the amp as opposed to alpine's 4V (don't know if your really need that much voltage)......do you know much about the parametric EQ's that can be inserted into the McIntosh amps? Are those anygood? I'd much rather have something i can tune up front though...hmmmmm.....and like i said...im not a big fan of digital ones.....just heard a lot of good things about the EPX

Can't image what your home audio system is if your car system is that crazy...Krell stuff? in the car?...did I read that you also have transparent ultra cables? or did i read wrong? if that's true then what's in your mclaren? =)
just to digress a bit...i heard a revel / jeffrowland setup in Ambrosia in BEL AIR...man...what a system...i told the guy to wait 20 years for me till i have enuf money to buy the ........system rack....=)

Thanks
Andrew
Old 07-19-01, 07:29 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The audiocontrol units are mid level at best, imo. Pretty much the staple of every competitor. The EPX moves things up a notch. Audiocontrol is pretty much all analog in it's switches/dials. That is, dirt and contamination will get in and cause the settings to drift over time. The EPX is (if I remember correctly) a digitally controlled, digital processor. I don't like the channel sep numbers but it is a step up from the Audiocontrols.

Mc parametrics are your best bet. Digitally controlled ANALOG filters. No headroom or limitation problems of digital. Settings are entirely repeatable and WILL NOT drift over time. It's the best of the best out there and the plus side is that it will work with any head unit/amp combo on the market. Sony has the xdp4000x processor but it only works with their products. Alpine processors I will try to stay away from since their sound quality (especially their erag320) stinks.

My home system is fairly simple. Krell KAV300CD player, fully modded. I took this player over to the Sound Lab at one time for a head to head evaluation against the KPS25 (a 20 grand player) and it was REALLY close. The KPS25 edged out in terms of smoothness, probably due to the d/a converter they were using.

Speakers that I'm using are Dynaudio. Custom stuff. MW170 drivers with ESOTAR T330D tweeters. Alpha core inductors with Solen caps. WBT Topline connectors. What a combo! Too bad they don't make the T330D's for the car. They blow away everything I've heard in terms of transparency, dynamics, etc. No harshness or shrilling at all, unlike the titanium or ribbon drivers that I've listened to.

I'm not using transparent audio interconnects....sure wish I was though!

Revel isn't bad...Dynaudio is still better imo.

Percy