Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Radio mute wire question....Kansas, need your help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-05, 10:12 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Radio mute wire question....Kansas, need your help please!!

I am planning to install the Alpine NVE-N872A Navigation System, which will be out in a couple weeks, in my 2000 LS 400 with the Nakamichi Sound system, and need a clarification from another post on finding the exact location of the "MUTE" point, so that I can connect the Nav system mute wire, to silence the sound system when the Nav issues a voice instruction.

Kansas, when I searched this forum, I found a pretty detailed post in which you had outlined that you had found a "connector" right behind the center console. I'm referring to the post linked below:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=mute

Could you please elaborate a bit further as to where the EXACT location where this connector was and how you got to it?? Is it right next to the vents?? (I saw your post in "lexusownersclub.com", in which you referred to a guy who did this on his '95 LS, and he had posted a pic, that looked like the connector was right besides the vents) .....I also want to be sure that this applies to the NAKAMICHI sound system .....I would also like any additional input you may have on this issue.

Thanks in advance, and your help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Last edited by vicpai; 10-13-05 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-15-05, 10:20 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 258 Likes on 204 Posts

vicpai,

Here is a tutorial I put together on how I installed my phone system and hooked up the mute connection in my 2000 LS with Nakamichi --> http://home.kc.rr.com/colchester/pho...%20install.doc

The tutorial includes a photo of the connector but I will try to copy a different photo into this reply to give a different view of where the connector is located. The connector is located on the drivers side by the air duct that feeds the vents that you see when your armrest is raised. You have to pop out the console box to see it. I am fairly certain that this connector is the same whether the car has Nakamichi, standard Pioneer, or Navigation and the same connector is probably in other late 90's/early 00's Lexus cars. The middle front pin in the connector is the mute pin - you can verify this by probing with a grounded test light while the radio is on. The connector that Blake found on his 95 LS has a different configuration but also has a mute pin.

PM if you want more information. I don't visit this section of the forum much so I was lucky to see your post.
Attached Thumbnails Radio mute wire question....Kansas, need your help please!!-mvc-008f.jpg  
Old 10-15-05, 10:23 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 258 Likes on 204 Posts

Here is another view of the phone connector by the air duct on the drivers side at the rear of the 2000 LS center console.
Attached Thumbnails Radio mute wire question....Kansas, need your help please!!-mvc-013f.jpg  
Old 10-15-05, 11:50 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Kansas, THANKS ONCE AGAIN!!!

....those pics are just what I was looking for. I know exactly where to look now!!...I will be attempting this install in a month or so, when this new Navigation system comes out. The rep at Alpine confirmed with me that it does have a mute wire. If I have any questions at that time, I will take you up on the PM.

BTW, read your tutorial. It's a great help for someone looking to install a wide range of devices that require interfacing with the OEM factory audio system.....makes me want to install a hands-free phone as well

When I get my Nav system install done I will post details and pics.

Last edited by vicpai; 10-16-05 at 12:06 AM.