Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
Old 01-07-15, 01:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

possible to install navigation in a 04 es330?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-05, 08:16 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

why would you want to put aftermarket.? there is no big gap in price or perfomance in navigation headunits vs aftermarket like there is in stereo equipment. this years 2006 lexus navigtation headunit plays mp3s .even aftewrmarket screens like the pioneer d1 double din unit cant show dvd on the nav screen anymore. most used car places cant wait to get out the aftermarket stuff and put factory unit back in . which means aftermarket units hurt the resell value of your vehicle.
Old 11-10-05, 02:34 AM
dang_is250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lexusaudio

How difficult is it to retro a non-nav to a nav? On my IS it seems like you would just swap the HU. Are the cars prewired with the harnessess ready to plug in? Would you have to wire the mics? How much would something like this cost? Would you just order the nav unit from a dealer? Sorry I'm asking so many questions. This sounds like something interesting that I might consider in the future.
Old 11-10-05, 05:05 AM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

installing a lexus factory nav is no more difficult then installing aftermarket. they both require connections to speed sensor and reverse wires for back up cameras. the non nav lexus is not prewired for navigation. lexus wants you to buy a new lexus not upgrade your current one so they dont prewire or encourage adding the latest technology to an older lexus. in fact the dealer will say its not possible to add factory navigation to a non nav lexus but every lexus model has had facxtory navogation added . the factory navigation always looks better than aftermarket installs because the faceplate was made for each lexus install. aftermarket navs require adapter faceplates and they rarely look factory .also most future used lexus buyers never heard of eclipse brand and other aftermarket brands would shy away from buying one with an aftermarket navigation headunit. ............................................. it can be done. the is250 300 factory nav upgrade is actually easier than most lexus upgrades because it does not incoporate the ac heater controls to the nav touchscreen control. the es300 330 also is easy install because oit does not incorporate ac heater controls either. the other lexus models GS, LX, RX, GS, LX AND SC have the ac heater controls switched over to the touchscreen control so extra connections have to be made but all those installs are also possible . having all the ac controls and all the milage data that the factory install provides is worth the extra instaltion problems on those models. but the is300 and the es300 330 instaltions are actuall easier than aftermarket because no adptation to the dash have to be made. the eclipse and pioneer double din are both short width wise of fitting into the factory navigtion trim bezel
Old 11-10-05, 02:03 PM
dang_is250
Driver School Candidate

hmmm interesting. where would i be able to buy a factory hu?
Old 12-13-05, 04:10 AM
lexusking
Driver School Candidate

wow, this is good stuff.
btw, i have no nav, no ML GS300 06, can I also install the factory nav as well ?
and if so, where i can possibly get it one and price ?

im pretty sure that will cost alot since everything intergrated with the screen.
plz let me know !
thx
Old 02-23-07, 05:04 PM
dewana421
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusaudio
heres the picture of the unit installed. i have complete photos of an install i did last weekend . the whole panel in the picture with airducts and clock all installs as one piece. it also got the rear view camera and a lexus dvd cd 6 cd changer . i found the purple speed sensor wire and the red and black reverse wire for the rear view camera right behind the glove box also the amp is right there for y connecting the voice navigation harness to the drivers door speaker. so i didnt have to remove the speedometer or the drivers door panel. all connections are within 12 inches of each other. to do the hookups. the speed sensor wire can have a toggle switch to turn it off so the dvd movies can be watched by the passenger while the driver is payionmg attntion to the road.
lexusaudio---I recently bought a whole factory navigation unit ML for my 02 es300 from ebay. i see that you have done the installation and took some pictures...can you please send me those instructions so i can get some help. i will really appriciate your help. i am lost with all the wires ..dont know which wire goes where. i got my screen to work but dont knwo how to work my navigation module. im lost with the wiring. please help

Last edited by dewana421; 02-24-07 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-25-07, 12:33 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

if you would have asked before buying the es300 2 piece mark levinson nav system i would have advised the 1 piece 2004 to 2006 es330 system navigation system . that would be plug in and play for your 2002 pioneer audio system ands only require minimal wiring for the voice amp. installing an ml system would be daunting task due to different wiring and connectors. . the mark levinson amp is larger and wont fit behind glovebox the pioneer amp location. ................................................................. with all the es300 lexus navigation retrofits i have done i havent attempted what you are proposing to do. i have installed the 2002 ml nav system in a 2002 and just left the pioneer amp. the hard paRT OF THE 2 PIECE INSTALL is that it requires add on wiring for the computer to the trunk which i have to custom make myself as the factory harness would require taking the whole car apart to install. better to just add the extra wiring needed.for the computer to nav screen . it has to be shielded wiring as we are dealing with sensitive video signals.
Old 10-17-07, 03:43 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

Anyone tried to buy the OEM navigation bezel and put in an aftermarket unit? Does any place sell harnesses for aftermarket units to plug-n-play in an 04 ES330? Thanks.
Old 10-18-07, 05:18 AM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

my expertise in installing lexus factory nav units. aftermarket headunits leave gaps on each side of the factory bezel. also factory nav uses present amp and speakers. aftermarket would require new amp and speakers if you are going for the very loud bass aftermarket install . with factory nav everything is compatible with non nav system.
Old 10-20-07, 08:16 PM
tmac1218
Driver School Candidate

Default Factory NAV or Aftermarket NAV for 2003 ES300

Where can I buy a Factory NAV system for 2003 ES300?
Old 10-20-07, 10:39 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusaudio
my expertise in installing lexus factory nav units. aftermarket headunits leave gaps on each side of the factory bezel. also factory nav uses present amp and speakers. aftermarket would require new amp and speakers if you are going for the very loud bass aftermarket install . with factory nav everything is compatible with non nav system.
What about Eclipse headunits? Do they leave the same gaps as other aftermarket HUs? I know that Eclipse is OEM. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-21-07, 11:18 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

I read back through the thread CAREFULLY and I found my answer. Thanks.
Old 11-15-07, 03:07 AM
jon1688
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lexusaudio, have you done a retrofit for a 2001 LS430? If so, what suggestions do you have?
Old 11-19-07, 12:27 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

yes i have done the retrofit but since hawaii has no lexus nav maps yes i dont see the sense in it at this time.
Old 07-03-09, 04:54 PM
joeses
Driver School Candidate

hi lexusaudio where in ohio are you and how complicated do you think it would be for you to do the install for me in a 2002 es with no nav

Quick Reply: possible to install navigation in a 04 es330?