Sponsored by:

Which one? Sirius or XM

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-05, 10:39 AM
SharpCreas
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one? Sirius or XM

I know this is a crazy question and the answer depends on the type of person but check this out. I have Sirius radio and I'm semi happy with it as i dont listen to most of the stations at all. I really dont get into sports also. Do you guys find xm or sirius to be better? The reason why im asking in this forum is because it shouldn't be as bias as sirius or xm forums.
Old 11-01-05, 11:16 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

I sell both and have had both in my vehicles and sirius IMO is way better, better sound quality, better choice of stations and better options. Xm is good for people who like talk radio and comedy stations IMO.
Old 11-01-05, 01:19 PM
spp
Driver School Candidate

While my registration date may be recent, I know that this is a loaded question around here.

My sincere suggestion to you is to go out and audition each one for a bit to get a feel for what each offers. Both will have similar sound quality on most stations. XM reduces the bitrate on their Traffic and Weather Channels to keep the overhead low. You will notice a difference but it really shouldn't matter for the 5 minutes you would listen to it. The other channels are similar in quality as the codecs produce nearly identical output (searching for the link I found that at).

Both offer a wide range of channels and formats to keep you entertained for hours. The key is to audition each for awhile and then decide. Your taste in music may not match mine or anyone elses.

I can say if you are interested in Stern, NFL, NBA, or Nascar (next year), your choice will be limited to Sirius.

If you like Opie and Anthony, MLB, or college sports, you are limited to XM.

Personally, I found the mix of formats and channels on XM to my liking better. You may not. Again, go out and listen! Return policies are made for this sort of thing

SP
Old 11-02-05, 08:14 AM
SharpCreas
Pole Position

Thank you for your suggestions. I think I'm probably gonna keep my sirius but i will go to the local bestbuys and sample the xm just in case.
Old 11-02-05, 10:25 AM
Patsfan
Driver

Jeff (Lexis11) actually installed my XM.
I prefer it because I listen to O&A every morning on the ride to work, and then usually the standup comedy, club channel or hiphop or top20 channel.
I don't really venture to any other stations since those are more than enough.
Plus I also have XM navtraffic which only XM offers as far as i know and that is a necessity for me.

The sports really isn't an issue since all the Boston sports are broadcast on AM/FM

On a side note, How the hell do you LISTEN to Nascar,, that must be toture. Its bad enough watching it (most people only do for the wrecks) and now you have to listen to it and not see any of the crashes.......
Old 11-02-05, 05:56 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexis11
I sell both and have had both in my vehicles and sirius IMO is way better, better sound quality, better choice of stations and better options. Xm is good for people who like talk radio and comedy stations IMO.
Couldn't agree more - hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee.

Seriously though, satellite radio is excellent in general. Whether you get Sirius or *cough* XM should really be a function of what channels you'd listen to most. Most of the music channel formats are pretty similar between the two, not really enough difference to warrant switching. Put the channel lineups side by side and see if anything sticks out in XM that you don't have in Sirius that you would listen to. If you're a Howard Stern fan, he'll be bringing crazy exciting push-the-edge radio to Sirius at the beginning of '06.

Jerry
Old 11-02-05, 06:01 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

BTW, Sirius will be serving up traffic and weather services very shortly.
Old 11-03-05, 05:37 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

IMO, the choice between XM and Sirius depends on your taste. Both are excellent.

I personally greatly prefer the programming of XM, but I'm not a mainstream listener. My experience has been mainly with XM and the depth of programming is awesome. I listen mainly to the old-time radio channel and the folk music channel. I understand that Sirius recently dropped their folk music channel. The "decades" channels are really popular with my friends (music from the 1940s, 1950s, 1960's, etc). With 6 different country music channels, 3 christian music channels, 5 jazz channels, and 3 classical music channels, you get an idea of the variety. I know Sirius has equivalents, but I think XM does this kind of programming better.

I can't really personally comment on the sports aspects, other than to say that both have dozens of sports channels; which should be enough for almost anyone.

I'd rather watch Howard Stern on cable TV.
Old 11-03-05, 12:21 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Satellite Radio

I have had XM radio in my RX300 for about a year. I prefer it over my friends Sirius radio.

My only complaint is the talking between songs. I purchased XM so I didnt have to listen to the DJs and Commercials. And compared to FM its a great improvement. But the programming needs to be more like the Direct TV music channels. Play the music, display the song title and the band name.

Instead you hear stupid 15 second comercials about how this is a new song. And the name of the channel your listening to. Thanks XM, but I can read the display. And know what channel I selected. When you email XM programing. You get a reply stating everybody loves the commercials.
Old 11-03-05, 07:32 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by bob2200
IMO, the choice between XM and Sirius depends on your taste. Both are excellent.

I personally greatly prefer the programming of XM, but I'm not a mainstream listener. My experience has been mainly with XM and the depth of programming is awesome. I listen mainly to the old-time radio channel and the folk music channel. I understand that Sirius recently dropped their folk music channel. The "decades" channels are really popular with my friends (music from the 1940s, 1950s, 1960's, etc). With 6 different country music channels, 3 christian music channels, 5 jazz channels, and 3 classical music channels, you get an idea of the variety. I know Sirius has equivalents, but I think XM does this kind of programming better.

I can't really personally comment on the sports aspects, other than to say that both have dozens of sports channels; which should be enough for almost anyone.

I'd rather watch Howard Stern on cable TV.
Folk, Country, Christian, Jazz, Classical. Hmmm. Yeah, XM probably does do them better. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Rock , Hip-Hop , Dance , Comedy , Sports, Male/Female Programming => SIRIUS
Pop and news are a toss-up.
Old 11-04-05, 12:15 AM
kormaster
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I chose SIRIUS over XM cuz i think channel line up suits me better.... it's all personal preference.. either you like orange or apple.... but they are both fruits... hahaha bad example but hope you got the concept....

PLus i have few shares of SIRIUS stock... so.. ya... im baised in one way or another..
Old 12-15-05, 09:12 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

I just had XM installed. I use to install XM and loved it. I really haven't had much exposure to Sirius though, so I couldn't give you much of an opinion on it. It seams that most of the BestBuy installers I know like Sirius better though..
Old 12-16-05, 05:58 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed an XM setup in my wife's Highlander about 1-1/2 yrs ago. At the time we got it, the channel selection seemed better on XM and I liked the hardware better. We got the SkyFi tuner, car dock and boom box (for the office) and she uses it constantly.

I just got a second SkyFi2 tuner from Crutchfield for $29 after the rebate with free shipping. We now have a home dock for my home system and really get a lot of use out of it as well.

At this point I have too much $$ invested in the hardware. So even if Sirius was better for whatever reason - it'd take a lot for me to switch. I dig the comedy stations (now there are 4) on XM.

The hardware available for both have come a long way (as well as the programming)... if I had to choose now, the decision wouldn't be as easy.
Old 12-16-05, 06:06 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I'm missing one....?

I don't have XM, but I thought there were 3 comedy channels- 150, 151 and 153.

I wish Sirius had more than their current 2 comedy channels, but I suppose some would consider the 2 new Howard channels as comedy.
Old 12-16-05, 06:32 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by engin_ear
Folk, Country, Christian, Jazz, Classical. Hmmm. Yeah, XM probably does do them better. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
=> SIRIUS
Pop and news are a toss-up.

You forgot to mention Howard Stern...