Sponsored by:

Sirius radio "static and poping" sounds

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-05, 08:35 AM
SharpCreas
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius radio "static and poping" sounds

Hey guys and gals, I have a quick question about sirius radio. I have a 1993 SC400 and professional install job by Hi-Fi buys. They did a great job as far as making it look really clean BTW. My question is, I get static poping sounds depending on the noise levels. For example: On the talk stations you hear alot on poping and staticy sounds while listening. On the music stations you hear the same thing only when you have a high note or some vocals. The beat never has the sounds, just vocal . Very Weird. Anybody can help please because it is getting on my last nerve. BTW I have the starmate and its hard wired FM modulate. I did a searc and some people said to discconnect the power antenna but i really don't want to do that. And some other people say that the radio is being over powered some how. Please help.
Old 11-02-05, 06:07 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpCreas
Hey guys and gals, I have a quick question about sirius radio. I have a 1993 SC400 and professional install job by Hi-Fi buys. They did a great job as far as making it look really clean BTW. My question is, I get static poping sounds depending on the noise levels. For example: On the talk stations you hear alot on poping and staticy sounds while listening. On the music stations you hear the same thing only when you have a high note or some vocals. The beat never has the sounds, just vocal . Very Weird. Anybody can help please because it is getting on my last nerve. BTW I have the starmate and its hard wired FM modulate. I did a searc and some people said to discconnect the power antenna but i really don't want to do that. And some other people say that the radio is being over powered some how. Please help.
The problem is the placement/hookup of of the FM modulator. While they may have done a professional-looking install, there is something not right with either the location chosen for the FM modulator, or its wiring. You can also try to change the FM channel selected for the modulation frequency. This will cause you to tune to a different channel on your FM dial to receive Sirius, and may eliminate the problem. I'd take it back to your installer and don't take the car home until they fix it. It is NOT supposed to sound like that.
Old 11-04-05, 08:07 AM
AUGuy21
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re:

I periodically have the same problem in my '99 GS. My Kenwood FM modulator is hard wired and is located right beside the amp behind my glove box. The static comes and goes and I think it is dependent on the FM channel you're using and where you are driving. I usually don't hear it when driving on the interstate, especially out of town. I mostly hear it when driving in town. You must remember that you are using an FM channel, and even though you're not picking up an FM station, interference can come and go.
Old 11-05-05, 05:37 AM
SharpCreas
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanx guys, I'm gonna take it to the installer and let him see if he can fix it