Sponsored by:

custom sub/amp enclosures...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-05, 09:12 PM
influx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom sub/amp enclosures...

Anyone have pictures of custom sub enclosures and amp placements in their sc300/400s? I was contemplating on having my subs mounted on the wall of the trunk along with the amp and caps. Doing this might make the system sound like crap since it's not sealed or ported and just using the whole trunk as a box itself. Any advice from those of you that are more experienced in this matter? I'm not going to enter some sound competition. I just want it to look and sound good without sacraficing too much trunk realty. Thanks in advance for any advice with this matter.
Old 11-25-05, 04:13 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

y not just replace ur stock sub with a 10"
Old 11-25-05, 04:22 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kietlander
y not just replace ur stock sub with a 10"
Cause he actually wants some bass. I believe it was Mteele who made one hell of a custom carpeted fiberglass enclosure in his trunk. You could do that or just throw a box in there
Old 11-25-05, 05:54 PM
influx
Driver School Candidate

I certainly don't want a box thrown in the trunk as I do like to use that space everytime my company relocates me. hehe.

I'll have to search for mteele and see what he did.

Just bought an infinity reference series 7541a amp for the time being. Still looking at which subs to get though. Something in the 300 - 600 RMS range.

I know the amp barely fits the bill to push those kinds of subs, but I just want some decent bass for the time being till I come into some more money where I can then use the amp to power the 4 mid/full range speakers in the car and get a bigger amp and bigger subs later.

Thinking of mounting the subs on the backwall of the trunk and hoping they won't hit the gas tank. Something simplistic like tracing the back cover of the trunk and layering the back of it with mdf so the subs and amp would hold. My question is what would the sound quality be like if i did that, since it's not sealed or ported and has the whole trunk as open space?
Old 11-25-05, 06:21 PM
kietlander
Racer

sounds like u want a free air sub. like i said replace ur stock one.
Old 11-25-05, 07:03 PM
influx
Driver School Candidate

Nah. I don't want a freeair/baffled sub. Most of them sound like crap and costs more. I'll more than likely build a custom ported fiberglass box for the subs I'm getting before I'll break down and get some freeair subs. I just wanted to know if the subs would sound like crap using the trunk space or that lil space where the gas tank is for a box. Since more than likely someone has already attempted what I'm doing and would save me time and aggravation from attempting such a thing.
Old 11-25-05, 07:29 PM
kietlander
Racer

[QUOTE=influx]

Thinking of mounting the subs on the backwall of the trunk and hoping they won't hit the gas tank. Something simplistic like tracing the back cover of the trunk and layering the back of it with mdf so the subs and amp would hold. QUOTE]

that sounds like a infinate baffle appliction to me.

u want to replace the stock cover with a mdf copy. u will make a hole for the sub and mount the amp to it. the sub will be facing outward. there wont be an "enclosure" for the sub. isnt that what a free air is?
Old 11-25-05, 11:33 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

Im with him on this one. If you have removed that piece you are talking about then you already know there is zero room back there to make an actual enclosure. So you would be doing a free air setup. Whether or not you chose to use a free air sub on the new piece you are making, it is still a free air setup. Will sticking a non free air sub against a board with no enclosure sound band??? Most likely, it will sound terrible but if you want to test it out just drop whatever sub you are thinking of using in the factory location since it would be the exact same thing...a non free air sub and a free air enviroment. I stand behind the recommendation of replacing just the factory free air if your other alternative is what you mentioned. That or relocate the cd changer or get rid of it all together and remove those side panels and make custom boxes where they were and shorten the spare tire cover so you can still access all that. Thats what I plan on doing within the next couple weeks. Ill post pics when Im done. Heres Mteeles setup, basically what I am talking about except that I think he left all his panels stock (correct me if I am wrong) whereas I want to cut that bottom "floor" piece so it lifts without having to remove the sub, and I want to use a sub that requires less air space because I want a smaller box.

Old 11-26-05, 08:54 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine is 1.2 cu ft, and easily slides in and out of the trunk corner.

Full details on how I built it are in the link below.
Attached Thumbnails custom sub/amp enclosures...-image029.jpg