Sponsored by:

Dynaudio review in CA&E

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-05, 10:30 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dynaudio review in CA&E

Hey Percy! I knew that would catch your attention.
There's a review in this month's Car Audio & Electronics on one of the Dynaudio component sets. I rear it a few days ago and can't recall which model.
It did not get a very great review. Surprising. I'm ready to trade in my Dyns for some Jensens or Sparcomatics or maybe even some stock speakers out of a Hyundai.
Just thought I'd post it here for everyone to notice.
Old 11-29-05, 01:05 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, saw the same review also. Kinda wierd that about 3 years ago, AutoSound and Security gave it a 5 out of 5 star rating. Same thing with the British mag "car audio" (large format) gave it a "reference to what all other speakers are measured by", also a 5/5 rating. For their home stuff, "Hi Fi" mag usually gives them 5/5, but has on occasion given them a 3/5 for value reasons for their more expensive models.

For the most part the frequency response was good, but there was a dip in FR at about 5khz. Probably due to the crossover and the installation as well as the interior of the vehicle. Their only real gripe was the power handling issue. The dip can be EQ'd out with a good parametric or a 30 band graphic, basically making it a non issue.

Imaging was pretty good though!

Shall we peel off the Dyn label and put on a Kraco?

Percy
Old 11-29-05, 09:50 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Percy
Yeah, saw the same review also.

Shall we peel off the Dyn label and put on a Kraco?

Percy
Hey, I knew I left out one of those 'good' brands. Welcome to Pep Boys Electronics. ;-)
Old 11-30-05, 09:52 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

_ear,

Took a look at the review again. I'm not surprised at the 5khz dip for the MD100, but what's even stranger is that if I take my RTA to my GS, there is NO dip at all. But then I'm using a different crossover set for 3khz/18db/oct. The ones made by Dyn (as well as others) seem to be a one box generic/hope it works/best guess for all cars.

If you look at the charts from Dyn, they will also confirm the 5khz dip. Probably due to the backing area behind the dome. It's just covered up with felt to absorb the backwave. The MD130 is a different beast...vented pole piece with dual stage damping. VERY very smooth frequency response from their charts. The ESOTAR gets even better, but that thing is too darn huge to fit "stealth" in the GS.

One thing that you can tell about the xover - they're fairly good parts, but not the best. If they used top notch stuff, then the cost would have skyrocketed. Dropping in a 5 dollar Solen cap versus a 45 dollar Hovland Musicap...that'll go nuts really quick. Or a 3 dollar inductor versus a Alpha Core foil inductor at 15 bucks a pop. Eeks!

Working on an xover right now for an older Dyn product. I'll have before/after shots when I'm finished. The inductors themselves are almost the size of the stock crossover board!!! (nearly 3 inch diameter for 14 guage .82mh foil)

Percy
Old 12-01-05, 09:43 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Which Dynaudio is this?