Adding a sub and AMP...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-05, 09:39 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kietlander
some speakers are 2 ohm though.

Correct. Just stating that you cannot take a 4 ohm speaker and have it run at 2 ohms, or a 2 ohm speaker and run it at 1 ohm. You would need to change the wiring so the amp sees a different load, causing the amp to run at 2 or 1 ohms. Or, which is what I am assuming you are doing, is wiring 1 2-ohm speaker, or 2 2-ohm speakers in parrallel, so you amp sees the 2 ohm load. Or better yet, 2 2-ohm speakers is series so the amp runs down to 1 ohm??

Monster power if the amp is 1 ohm stable!

I do remember some Phoenix gold amps years ago running at .5 ohm. Ya had to love guys in a 150 watt class that were actually pushing 500+ watts!
Old 11-30-05, 10:27 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

no the speakers come 2 ohm . so i can get a 5 channel amp. most 5 channels arnt powerful unless at 2 ohms. the amp im getting is 4x125 @ 2 ohms plus 400 @ 2 ohms for the sub.
Old 11-30-05, 10:33 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

What amp are you getting? I'm looking to replace my Nak amp with 1 amp also.
Old 11-30-05, 11:14 AM
kietlander
Racer

alphasonik. something i forgot.

edit: here u go http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=14181

Last edited by kietlander; 11-30-05 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-01-05, 02:15 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
I don't think Jensen was ever actually "good". Better than now maybe, but not actually good.

Just so we don't spread misinformation.......speakers aren't run at 2 ohms. A 4 ohm speaker will always be a 4 ohm speaker. Certain wiring configurations can show a different load to an amplifier, causing the amp to run at 2 ohms, effectively increasing power output. ie, 2 4-ohm speakers wired in series will show the amp an 8ohm load.

Not calling you out either, just raising some points.
Your right, I dunno how he blew it. But the speakers were good, I sold them to him becuase I was tired of so much bass. This 1 10 is plenty. Jensens were good, those things were louder than my cousins 2 Rockford punches (I have many cousins, and he had only a 500 watt amp pushing his subs, but at the time so did I...a Jensen one). Speakers can come in 2 ohms, at least I'm pretty sure. I realize that most of the time they are 4 ohms, but I think I have seen some 2 ohm and 1 ohm speakers before. I know Jensen wasnt one of the best around, but they def. arent crap. I loved those speakers, kinda miss em for when I wanna rattle.
I just replaced my front door speakers with some Diamond Audio 4.5" M341I speakers, and it sounds awesome, so much treble now.
Old 12-01-05, 06:32 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by Abear
Speakers can come in 2 ohms
Oh yeah, speakers can come in all different configurations. I was just staing that a 4 ohm speaker can't be run at 2 ohms. (2 4-ohm speakers can be wired to show a 2 ohm load to the amp though)

meh.....semantics.
Old 12-01-05, 09:01 AM
kietlander
Racer

i know..just bustin some ***** man...lol
Old 12-01-05, 09:02 AM
sc4009688
Rookie

Question

I am just going to have best buy install my subs and amp for $100 and i will tell them to remove my old sub. can i keep the stock NAK amp to use it to power the two subs with the amp that i just bought the amp i just bought is 460 WATTS nd the subs peak power is 1100WATTS. so do you think i can keep my stock amp also to power this or should i just use the one?
Old 12-01-05, 09:03 AM
kietlander
Racer

Originally Posted by Abear
But the speakers were good, I sold them to him becuase I was tired of so much bass. This 1 10 is plenty. Jensens were good, those things were louder than my cousins 2 Rockford punches (I have many cousins, and he had only a 500 watt amp pushing his subs, but at the time so did I...a Jensen one).
now now now.... just because they "hit" doesnt aways mean they are good. u can put pretty much and sub in a bandpass/ported box and make it hit.
Old 12-01-05, 09:39 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by sc4009688
I am just going to have best buy install my subs and amp for $100 and i will tell them to remove my old sub. can i keep the stock NAK amp to use it to power the two subs with the amp that i just bought the amp i just bought is 460 WATTS nd the subs peak power is 1100WATTS. so do you think i can keep my stock amp also to power this or should i just use the one?
Technically, you can run the 2 new subs from the Nak amp but what you'll be doing is running both off of 1 channel. I don't know the Nak sub channel output offhand, but I would think it would not be enough to adequately power the 2 subs. The stock sub in the SC is a 6 ohm speaker. You'll be replacing it with 2 4-ohm speakers. The amp will now see either a 8, 4, or 2 ohm load (depending upon the wiring). Decreasing the load the amp sees will result in higher power output. I don't know how low the impedence can be for the Nak amp and still remain stable. Plus, these amps are known to die eventually (plus, most of our cars are relatively older and so are the amps ), so running at the lower impedence will only decrease the life remining form the amp.

My suggestion (based on your information and situation) would be to power your amp off the car battery as you would on any amp install. The tricky part is getting the output signal from the HU to the new amp. Some trial and error may be called for to find the output signal from the HU and have it spliced into the new amp. From there the output from the new amp can be routed directly to the new subs. One thing! Be sure your amp has a built in crossover or invest in at least an inline passive crossover! The output signal will be full-range. Your subs cannot reproduce soundwaves over (I'll guess here but should be close) 200Hz. You need to set a crossover point roughly in that area to prevent frequencies above 200Hz from going to the sub or else they will attempt to recreate them (which they can't) and fail much quicker. Check the information that came with your subs for frequency response and you'll know where your crossover point should be.

Good Luck!

P.S. - still think you should've just upgraded the free-air!
Old 12-05-05, 09:20 AM
sc4009688
Rookie

The people at best buy and circuit city triend to rip me off. i went to best buy first and then the guy asked me if i bought wiring from there and i said no, so he said i needed to buy wiring from there or else he couldnt gaurantee the work or even install it. then i went to circuit city and the guy there took a look at my stuff and he said these wires dont work because they were 9 Gauge power and ground wire and everything was pretty much under 14 gauge. it was the scosche 1400 WATT amp wiring kit from wal-mart and the guy at circuit city just wanted me to buy from him because he wanted to make a profit. thats what im thinking. what do you guys think?