Factory Stereo replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-05, 08:00 PM
choirgeek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Stereo replacement question

Hello all,

This is my first post here and am very happy I found this site, as well as being a first time Lexus owner!
I currently reside in California and I currently drive a 2005 GS300. According to my sales person, California GS300s do not come with the factory GPS navigation unit nor do I want it because it is out-dated.
I am currently exploring some portable GPS navigation units such as the tom tom, but I would also like some opinions on in-dash units. Is it difficult to install an aftermarket in-dash unit? Do aftermarket in-dash units make the center console seem "uncleen"? Also, if in-dash system is a viable option, which unit(s) would you recommend?
Thank you all very much for your help!

choirgeek
Old 11-29-05, 08:39 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Its not hard to put in a new headunit. Just pull the stock one out and drop in a single DIN install kit then put in the new headunit. There are a few issues with the factory amp though. I dont think it will work with an aftermarket headunit unless you plan on rewiring all the wires on the amp....so plan on upgrading the amp to an aftermarket unit as well.

There are plenty of flip out screen headunits you can get. Alpine and Pioneer are the two that come to mind. They have all the DVD, mp3, and navigations functions. As for keeping the factory clean look, of course this headunit will stand out from the rest of the interior. Good thing or bad thing....thats up to you.

Your third option is to build in a custom CarPC into your car. This is the path I am pursuing. This solution will provide you with the cleanest look and most modern interface, but it is the most work out of all your options. Plenty of custom wiring and fabrication is needed for a project like this, but it will be the most unique when done.

Here's a link to a member here on clublexus that has installed a carpc https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188397
Old 11-29-05, 09:02 PM
choirgeek
Driver School Candidate

Thank you jefftsai for your reply... That carpc sure does look awesome but you are right, that is a lot of work!
Still checking out both portable and in-dash options... Sure do like the option of using the portables in different cars, but I just can't stand the smallish screen. Have checked out the Clarion N.I.C.E. which has a 7" screen, but finding a place other than the dash of the GS to put it is difficult if not impossible. Maybe I should just trade my GS in for the new one.
Old 11-30-05, 12:15 PM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

If you change the H/U as previously mentioned you'll need to rework or replace the factory amp. You'll also have to replace your sub woofer as well since it's impedance is matched to the factory amp.

I recently put in a Pioneer AVIC-D1 (Double Din) unit in my '99 GS400. It was relatively straightforward if you're a hands-on or DIY person. With the matching double din bezel it looks like a factory install. I drive the satelite speakers from the AVIC-D! (approx 22 w/channel). I installed a separate sub woofer amp and matching sub woofer.

If you want any details regarding the install just send me a PM.

Good Luck,

Old 11-30-05, 02:21 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

if ur looking for an easy-to-use navi. check out the pioneer D1. its only $1050 shipped from sounddomain.com and comes with everyrthing u need to install. check them out.
Old 12-03-05, 05:30 PM
choirgeek
Driver School Candidate

Hello all,

The factory sound system in my GS is Pioneer, so do I still have to change the factory amp even if I install the Pioneer D1?
Old 12-03-05, 10:56 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

With what you're doing I'd go to an installer and price out a full aftermarket system with Nav. Then decide whether you can do it yourself. You'll get familiar with the available aftermarket components that way. Trying to keep the system partially stock when you're planning on gutting the headunit never makes sense to me.
For Nav, you could also just add a Garmin unit separately.
To answer your question, yes, installing an aftermarket unit is difficult. However, if done properly, there are some very clean, factory looking installs. DaveGS4 has one of them with a nav screen, might want to PM him for a pic or two. Also try searching these threads for nav installs.

Last edited by engin_ear; 12-03-05 at 11:00 PM.