Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Navigation: DVD Update

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-02, 04:02 PM
Drive4Fun
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if there's a dealer out there that's willing to make $50/upgrade on MANY upgrades, and take the business from the greedy ones who are charging MSRP and above.
Old 08-30-02, 10:52 AM
joeyGS430
Driver School Candidate

Cool

IT'S AVAILABLE (says Lex CS):

Thank you for contacting the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department regarding a Navigation System update for your vehicle. The Navigation System update is currently available and can be purchased from the parts department of a Lexus dealer. The Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of the update disc is $499.00. As independently operated businesses, Lexus dealers may sell the update disc at a different price and will charge labor to install the disc. I am sorry for any inconvenience this situation has caused you.

If you have any further concerns, you can also reach the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Pacific Time.

Sincerely,
Denise Academia
Customer Satisfaction Representative
Old 08-30-02, 11:11 AM
dzar
Driver School Candidate

"The Navigation System update is currently available and can be purchased from the parts department of a Lexus dealer. The Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of the update disc is $499.00. "

Uh huh... same story for months. That price is outrageous and they also REQUIRE installation (at over $100 I was quoted) for the five minute procedure that anyone who knows how to open their trunk could do.

I complained, vigorously, that I was lied to by everyone from my dealer to Lexus Customer Service for almost a year about the availability of this update. I further mentioned how the $499 price is simply outrageous in any event (competitors sell updates from $100-$150) and requiring installation was an insult (heck, I can buy an ENGINE and not have the dealer install it).

Their response was to "give" me the update for half price... of the total! So, I would still have had to shell out over $250 for the update. I told them where to stick their update.

I will never buy another Lexus. Yes, over this issue (it's an issue of customer satisfaction and how they have treated me over the past year... seems they have treated a lot of people poorly over this issue as well). They only way I can speak to Lexus at this is point is with my pocket book. They won't care or even notice, probably, but I will know I'm not helping these dolts screw other people.

Regards,
Dave
Old 09-02-02, 09:54 AM
Drive4Fun
Driver

I agree with dzar.

Lexus, and their dealers' selfish arrogance have driven me away.

The '03 Lincoln LS looks like a winner ... features the GS doesn't have (for $5,000 - $10,000 less) as well as more and friendlier dealers, included scheduled maintenance, no need for expensive timing belt replacement. And, finally, a world-class American-built luxury sport sedan.
Old 07-09-03, 11:24 AM
Drive4Fun
Driver

Default Update cost

I just checked out the Denso navigation system on the 2003 Lincoln LS. It too has data DVDs provided by Navtech, and is more current than the update I got for my Lexus GS 430.

The Lincoln DVD can be purchased directly from Navtech for $165.

Navtech does not sell Lexus DVDs directly; only to Lexus/Toyota.

Does anyone know the present MSRP for the Lexus DVD?
Old 07-09-03, 11:57 AM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dunno what MSRP is but you can get em online for $250. I'm planning on just waiting until the next update (this fall I would guess) before I slap down my $$.
Old 07-09-03, 12:01 PM
Drive4Fun
Driver

Sounds like a good plan.

I wonder what makes them worth $85 more than the same data for the Lincoln system.
Old 07-09-03, 12:04 PM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not always the same data. I'd bet my life that Navtech charges per feature. Like the number of POI's, which cities contain detailed maps.. etc.. For all we know the lincoln one could contain lots more information or lots less. Eitherway there isn't **** anyone can do about it, all the map data is usually made proprietary to specific navigation systems anyway, I would imagine.
Old 07-09-03, 12:06 PM
Drive4Fun
Driver

Agree, mostly.

The Lincoln had a lot more POIs for my area than my Lexus.
Old 07-09-03, 12:10 PM
Drive4Fun
Driver

"Navtech charges per feature"

When I talked with Navtech representative, and told her that Lexus charges $500 (which they did when I upgraded), I heard a gasp, then silence.

I think we all know what's going on, and I agree that we can't do **** about it ... if we continue to buy Lexus.
Old 07-14-03, 04:21 AM
joeyGS430
Driver School Candidate

Actually, I purchased the DVD Nav Update over the web for $250 & installed myself (which was simple).

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partlist....=74&ModelID=14

and/or

http://www.lexus-parts.com/prodlist....bCategoryID=73
Old 07-14-03, 07:15 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

local lexus dealer here charged 265
Old 07-18-03, 05:37 PM
hmorse
10th Gear

Default Upgrade to Navi

I have been informed the upgrade will take place in October. You can go to the Navionics site and give them suggestions for the system including incorrect street information.

I suggested that when on Higways with mile markers, the push of the top right "map" button should display the nearest mile marker, not just the highway name. When on a municipal street, pushing the button shows the street and numeric address, so sjowing the mile marker for emergencies wouldn't be that difficult.

Go to the sight at www.navionics.com and put your two cents in!
Old 07-19-03, 03:33 AM
btanchors
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello everyone,

FYI, I just became a new Lexus owner yesterday (2003 GS 430). I have NOT been following this thread, but I did happen to ask about updates to the Nav system from the person who sold me the car. He told me that he expects an update this fall (I don't recall the exact date). But, he said, in about a year, they are coming out with a vastly updated set that will have an order of magnitude more points of interest (restaurants, tourist attractions, etc.) than the currently planned update. His comment was that I might want to wait for that update to come out instead of getting the one this fall. I wish I could be more specific, but this was more casual conversation I had with the dealer... perhaps someone else can confirm/deny this information...
Old 07-19-03, 04:02 AM
Drive4Fun
Driver

RE: emergencies.

If the emergency soft button is pressed, it provides latitude and longitude to the nearest second. I agree that mile markers would also be of value.

Quick Reply: Navigation: DVD Update