Sponsored by:

Navigation: DVD Update

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-01, 07:13 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

For people who have a 2001 GS430 car the New release date for the Navigation DVD will be after March 2002! They also said we will have to pay for it!
Old 11-23-01, 06:29 AM
GS430_4Me
Rookie

ceoart:

Can you tell us the source of your information and/or how reliable it is?
Old 11-26-01, 03:05 PM
dzar
Driver School Candidate

Default DVD UPDATE IS HERE (SORT OF)

I was at my dealer last week and asked about an update that Lexus CS told me would be available November/December for my 2001 RX300 (which has a DVD date of 2000 ver 1 in it).

I was told that the part DID EXIST and that they could order it for me (no indication of how long it would take to actually receive). Now the bad news: $550 plus TWO HOURS of labor for installation.

I am not happy. I have already contacted Lexus CS and was told they would investigate and get back to me in 5-7 business days.

I don't mind paying for an update (even though mine is at least a year old when I bought it and Lexus' web site used to promote "updates twice a year.") But... I do expect better for their loyal customers. How about a $150 update that is user installable (heck, this one probably is by my dealer is trying to get $200 out of me to insert a DVD)? Acura and GM offers this service via their web page and I expect Lexus to follow.

$550 is outrageous for an update to a system we paid at least $2000 for in the first place. We can all get Garmin nav. systems (new) for $399 so hopefully they will figure this out.

I'm curious if anyone else has a price and information on "user installability" of the update.

Regards,
Dave
Old 11-27-01, 07:45 AM
GS430_4Me
Rookie

This week my dealer part's manager said that Denso is getting out of the business and dumping the upgrade responsibility on Lexus. I mentioned that Navtech is supposed to be the data provider, not Denso. He said that the upgrade is still in the hands of Lexus, and they're ill-prepared to deal with it.

I think that Lexus' handling of this issue, particularly their lack of communication with customers and dealers, is as poor as any I've experienced with 31 new cars.

They have reneged on promised updates, and outright ignore requests for information. I think it's time to escalate the issue. Maybe several of us write to J.D. Powers, some auto magazines ... what else might get Lexus in a more customer-friendly mindset?
Old 11-27-01, 02:48 PM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a 2000 gs400

What type of navigation do i have?
are there upgrades for mine?

let me know

thanks
Old 11-28-01, 11:45 AM
RocketSlug
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

98-2000 used the 4:3 screen with a hard drive, and the updates are available. 2001-on have the 16:9 widescreen and are DVD based.
Old 12-05-01, 02:44 PM
joedoe
Rookie

Just to keep the topic afloat
Old 12-05-01, 03:16 PM
dzar
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus doesn't care about it's customers

Here is a reply from Lexus customer service.

===========
I am following up with you regarding your concern with the cost of the Navigation System update for your 2001 RX 300. This update will not be released until mid-2002. Lexus has not set a price for this update since it is still being reviewed. I am sorry that I do not have anymore information to share with you at this time.

===========

This is in direct contrast to my dealer who quoted me a firm price ($550+200 installation) and was willing to order it for me a couple weeks ago. I have responded to CS for a proper answer from somebody who really knew what was going on, but have not heard back (and probably never will).

They lie, mislead and change stories every month. I love my car. I hate the company.

Folks, don't believe anything you hear. I have heard many promises and every one was broken. I'm mad and sad that I cannot get updates to a system that is over 18 months old (based on the date on mine that I bought only give months ago!).

Tirade mode off...

Dave
Old 12-31-01, 05:13 AM
GS430_4Me
Rookie

Bump^
Old 01-04-02, 08:04 AM
GS430_4Me
Rookie

My dealer now says to call him in late February.
Old 01-04-02, 02:46 PM
joedoe
Rookie

Smile

What year?
Old 01-09-02, 10:07 AM
bbailey
Driver School Candidate

I attended a new owner orientation class at my Lexus dealer this past weekend. I asked about this. I was told there will be an update in the Spring. I was also told we would have to pay. I bought my car new in Dec. I was also told that (I think eventually) the DVD Nav system will be made up of several DVDs. Adding more detail and all info can't fit on one DVD. He also told me there was a web site (I thought he said atasteoflexus.com) where you could read about what exactly the updates are. Unfortunately, that is not even a registered domain name. I'll have to check back with him to see what the exact site is.

Bob
Clearwater GS430
Old 01-09-02, 10:47 AM
dzar
Driver School Candidate

You can probably check with your dealer on the web site and he will probably still not know. Lexus has lied to us about updates for their navigation system for months (years?). I have raised this with everyone I can find from the person who wanted to take my money and order the upgrade (which has a part numebr they said) to the people who tell me that no information is available.

If, indeed, there is something published on these issues, that would be welcome, but Lexus has REMOVED information from their web site regarding this in recent months. The website used to say there would be two updates a year. Needless to say that was a lie and they removed it.

I don't think there is an end in sight. Next time, I'll forgo the nav. system and buy an aftermarket one. They can be updated and at a fraction of the cost Lexus is proposing.

Hope I'm just being pessimistic!

Dave
Old 01-09-02, 11:19 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts
The policy of "twice updates a year" applies to hard drive based Nav system on 2000 or earlier model. And it is only free for the first year with new car purchase. Therefore, Lexus has removed that from their web site since that was no longer the issue any more.
Old 01-11-02, 01:41 PM
sleepybobcat

I printed out all the messaged under this thread and showed it
to my Lexus dealer here in Maryland.(while I was waiting for
an oil change this morning)

The parts manager and his assistant spent two hours searching
through his parts list on the computer. They also spoke with
the Toyota/Lexus national parts office. Nothing was found
for the '01 RX300's DVD navigation. The only DVD is the same
one as the one that came in the car, which is version 2000.

However, they did find out that an update will require more than
just a newer DVD. It will also involve changing some component
in the navigation computer. (which is probably why it will
cost $$$$$$$)

I brought this up with the service manager. He told me
"strictly off the record" that they can work something out
under warranty.(i.e. stick the bill to Lexus) I guess the dealer
doesn't care who pays the bill, as long as they get paid...

The map info for the DC/MD area is really screwed up. There are
several long stretches of the interstate not recognized by by the
system.(including I-95, I-270, I-70) I even found serveral listing
to be seriously outdated, by as much as 6 and half years...

Quick Reply: Navigation: DVD Update