Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^Bump^^
Old 01-18-02, 10:42 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Smile Quick Question??

Originally posted by MMM

Let me correct myself: The system uses a single sided, dual layer DVD-ROM (DVD9).

1. Does it have a DD soundtrack and director's commentary?
Obviously not. It's not a movie. It's a navigation system DVD-ROM.

2. What is taking up 9.4 gigs of space that 4.7 won't hold?
Actually, DVD9 is about 8.5GB, so that makes DVD9 capable of holding twice as much as DVD5.

3. The hard drive system was a 1.2GB laptop hard drive containing only NavTech map data. The new system contains NavTech + GDT map data for the entire USA and Canada (NavTech only).

4. Proof? The system uses Denso's KIWI database format - the same used by Pioneer and Kenwood aftermarket systems. You can check out these links to see if they are using dual layer DVDs:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...9,2304,00.html
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...?productId=747
http://www.kenwood.nl/products/superior-system.html

Additionally, Alpine is also using a dual layer DVD, although not using the Denso KIWI database. If I'm not mistaken, all DVD based navigation systems in the US are utilizing dual layer DVD-ROMs for full US coverage.

As I said, good luck copying a DVD9.

MMM
Seems like my worst fears have come true!!! If the system uses a SINGLE SIDED dual layer DVD player then how will it fit any more information?? The POINT-OF-INTEREST coverage of the Lexus Navi at this time is practically USELESS!!! and I'm told that the "merged NAVTECH+GDT street info" has almost occupied close to 8.5 GB which is the capacity of the single sided-dual layer unit!!!.

Eventually to compete with the likes of Acura/Alpine they will HAVE TO match the almost 5 million point-of-interest database...........and where will all this info go????????????.....as the current Lexus database is only about 750,000 strong

Does this mean they have to install DUAL SIDED units on newer models and replace (at a tremendous cost, I assume) all existing units in order to upgrade????????????........seems like a messy situation

BY THE SAME TOKEN

Alpine technical support reps told me that their DVDs hold about 16GB of information......so there was a lot of available space to upgrade for COMPLETE STREET LEVEL COVERAGE FOR THE ENTIRE U.S............so, I assumed their's is a DUAL SIDED DUAL LAYER unit

Do any of you know what the reality is on all of this?????

Thanks!
Vic

Last edited by vicpai; 01-18-02 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-24-02, 09:11 PM
gofaster
Driver School Candidate

Default yeah!

This is BS guys...We didnt shell out thousands of extra bucks to get a navi unit that cannot be updated easily. I think I should have went with out the stock navi unit, and just got an aftermarket one, which would also play DVD's and more....

This thread is almost 6 months old..and still no updates in site......pathetic!
Old 01-29-02, 03:40 PM
Drive4Fun
Driver

Default What are our options?

Okay folks, what are we prepared to do about this situation:

A) If the Lexus stall continues through April, 2002?

B) When (if?) the update comes, we're forced into a high dollar hardware upgrade in order to get the software upgrade?

C) The software upgrade alone is more than $150 for those of us who purchased a new vehicle that had obsolete software when we got it?

D) ???

E) ???
Old 02-01-02, 04:39 AM
Drive4Fun
Driver

Recent purchasers of the LS430 claim to have navigation system version 2001. Does anyone know if LS & GS DVD's are interchangeable?
Old 02-01-02, 07:32 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

All the DVD disc are interchangable as long as they are using the same version of the system software on the NAV system. For example, 2002 ES, IS, GS are using the same 2001 version of DVD disc, while 2002 LX, RX, LS and SC are still on 2000 version of DVD disc. You can not interchange between two different versions of disc due to the system software difference on the NAV computer.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-02-02, 06:01 AM
Drive4Fun
Driver

2002 LS owners claim to have 2001 version of nav system. Would the DVD from these work in 2001 GS?
Old 02-09-02, 09:41 AM
Drive4Fun
Driver

^^Bump^^
Old 02-11-02, 07:37 AM
zielinw
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Obsolete NAV system in RX300

I have just aquired a 2002 rx300 with a nav system last week. The NAV software is outdated (version 2000.1), and while it looks impressive and talks to you, it has some very severe limitations.

1. I have a Garmin Street pilot and it has every street (and dirt road) in the US. It will navigate to any street address including county roads. The Navtech will not. This is a real drawback if one wants to look at realestate in the boonies.

2. Another limitation that I find curious with the NAVTECH is the the POI information is only for the metro areas. The POI info should be for every exit on all the US interstates. Otherwise it makes it useless for long trips.

3. I question why Lexus is using version 2000.1 of the NAVTECH database, when BMW is using NAVTECH verrsion 2001.2 in their 2001 beamers, (It makes me jealous!!). The 2001.2 version has increased the city coverage tenfold over the 2000.1 version.
Old 02-18-02, 07:52 PM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default custom setup

If you are interested going the aftermarket route you might wanna consider what I'm going to do.

Cappuccino PC + WinXP + Alpine IVA-C800 + CoPilot 2002 + PowerDVD = uber car computer 2002

I really have little use for multi-cd changer. Laptop harddrives are up to 61GB now days. MP3's with a high quality super paranoid VBR setting sound good enough for me.

I'm _pretty_ sure it wouldn't be too hard to find a place to stick that pc either, maybe under the seat or, in the case of a newer model GS, in the clove box where the multi-cd usually goes.

With the setup I've described above you'll have a fully functional multimedia setup that supports every kind of disc format under the sun. It'll play movies, computer games, or if you wanna hook up a cell phone it can download and read your email to you using one of the many text to speach utilities out there

Now the big question is whether or not it would stand up to the elements
Old 02-19-02, 02:04 AM
veilstylez
Rookie

hey guys~~
where is the factory navigation unit made from....? is it made by alpine or pioneer?

Last edited by veilstylez; 02-19-02 at 02:28 AM.
Old 02-19-02, 05:14 AM
zielinw
Driver School Candidate

Default NAV Hardware

I may be mistaken, but I have read that the Navigation hardware in the RX300 is made by DENSO. The Lexus site states that the integration of the hardware and software is done by Toyota. They also stated at that same site that the software updates would be available twice each year.

I would be happy if the 2002 models at least had maps compiled from 2001 vs 2000.
Old 02-19-02, 08:10 PM
veilstylez
Rookie

Default Re: NAV Hardware

Originally posted by zielinw
I may be mistaken, but I have read that the Navigation hardware in the RX300 is made by DENSO. The Lexus site states that the integration of the hardware and software is done by Toyota. They also stated at that same site that the software updates would be available twice each year.

I would be happy if the 2002 models at least had maps compiled from 2001 vs 2000.
hey...so on the navi unit is say DENSO on it...not pioneer or alpine?
Old 02-20-02, 05:28 AM
Drive4Fun
Driver

Zielinw:

What is the Lexus site you mention?
Old 02-21-02, 06:54 AM
Drive4Fun
Driver

This whole issue is absurd. Updating the data is not rocket science.

It's merely caring enough about their customers to apply the resources necessary to provide what they want, need, and have paid for.

When I purchased my GS, I was told that there would be two updates/year. I now have a $2500 system that isn't aware of expressway interchanges that have been there for three years, and directs me to restaurants and gas stations that are now vacant lots.

Their series on un-met promises has driven their credibility to zero.

Quick Reply: Navigation: DVD Update