Search this Thread

Old 02-21-02, 12:41 PM
zielinw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav updates & some sites

Here are two websites that somewhat describe the Lexus Nav System:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/mediakit...kit/r_nav.html
http://www.itsa.org/itsnews.nsf/$All/4AC26454CA71D3B285256B170059BB28?OpenDocument

The issue of NAV updates is strange. I checked with the Lexus dealer for my 2002 RX300, since it was delivered with maps that are 2 years old. I was told that the update should be out in May, and I can have it for only $1100, such a deal!!!

So, I called the Lexus hot line, and whined to them for a few minutes, and asked why they are selling new cars with old data (after all, BMW does not do that). They said a new update would not be available until October of this year, and the price should be about $500 (wow, all ready I have saved 600 bucks). Not taking this laying down, I informed the very polite lady, that I just upgraded the maps on my Garmin Street pilot, for the cost of $35. She said if I called back after the update came out in October, and explained my position that Lexus might split the update costs with me, (ahhh more savings, now were taking only $250).

But, the real issue is why are only a few of us complaining? My theory is that for most folks the NAV system is just a toy, and not really used "navigation". So it is a good opportunity for Lexus to may a quick $2k, and if you need an upgrade, just buy a new car. In the meantime they will continue to perfect their toy, and maybe in the future some of the average drivers will really use the system for more than a status symbol.

One last item to ponder. NAVTECH provides the maps Lexus, BMW, Garmin, and Microsoft (Streets&MAPS). They may not be the same versions, but they are most likely from the same data source. This would indicate that the real problem in the Navigation systems is in the developer who makes the software that uses the data maps such as Lexus (DENSO). If one can spare $5 to $20, obtain Microsoft Streets&Maps, then do a find address!! This is a much better user interface than the DENSO system. But, then Microsoft has greater competition in mapping software than DENSO.
Old 02-22-02, 05:48 PM
zielinw
Driver School Candidate

Default POIs in Lafayette IN -- NOT!!!

Today we took a trip to Purdue in Lafayette IN, to show-off our new RX300 with the built-in NAV system to our son. For those folks who have not been to Lafayette IN, there are about 50 restaurants on Route 26 between the school and I-65.

I was going to show my son, how I could look-up a restaurant using the NAV system and just follow that wonderful ladies voice!! Boy, was I mistaken. The current version of the NAVTECH database, had only one restaurant listed on Route 26, and it wasn't the one we were interested in going to.

So, I just stuck my little Garmin EMap on top of the dashboard above the Lexus Nav system, and used it to get to the restaurant. The little $300 Garmin system, had at least 90% of the POI's on that section of Route 26. The Lexus NAV system on the RX300 is just not ready for "prime time".

Last edited by zielinw; 02-22-02 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-26-02, 09:20 AM
hleo1
Pole Position

Angry

Here's what I have the latest (at least in my case)...

I just got off the phone with Lexus Customer Service, and was informed that the update is the same version for 2003 vehicles, meaning as soon as they have for 2003 Nav, then that's our update.

Ever since I bought my '02 RX300 Dec 31, 2001, I've had lengthy discussions and arguements with Lexus Customer Service (one of the managers), and my dealership's Sales Manager. I filed my formal complaint, sent letters with printed materials of Lexus's claim for its 2002 Nav capabilities. I also filed a complaint with the Washington State Attorney General's office, who forwarded my complaint to the FTC. Lexus promised, claimed in all 2002 Lexus vehicles with Nav pkg that they all can cover some parts of Canada. To make a long story short, my car can't! Last, I was promised that I'd get the update free, by middle of the year 2002.

I have had enough lies and empty promises from Lexus. If the update is not out by middle of 2002, I will immediately seek legal advice to stop this madness from Lexus! I have gathered all printed materials.

Regards,
Hendry Leo
Old 02-26-02, 11:09 AM
zielinw
Driver School Candidate

Default Keep us posted

Good luck on getting a "free" update on the Nav SW Henry.

Please keep us posted!!!
Old 02-26-02, 08:43 PM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you haven't used up your free updates during your factory warranty.. the updates ARE free right?
Old 02-27-02, 07:17 AM
reghir
Driver School Candidate

Same for 2002 Lexus LS430 DVD Map says 2001 for version.

Last edited by reghir; 02-27-02 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-27-02, 09:59 AM
zielinw
Driver School Candidate

Default 2001 version updates

The Navtech SW version of 2001 for the LS430 is probably the most current from Navtech, as the SW needs to be integrated into the Lexus NAV system before it is used.

The Navtech SW version of 2000 for the RX300 is hard to understand as it is two years old.

Also, free updates are not offered on the DVD based nav systems, not at least for the RX300.
Old 02-27-02, 11:05 AM
Drive4Fun
Driver

hleo:

Thanks for the most imformative post to date.

If you pursue legal action, maybe some of the rest of us would be interested in participating. I'm not sure how; maybe an attorney reading this can provide some guidance.
Old 03-06-02, 07:06 PM
Drive4Fun
Driver

^Bump^
Old 03-06-02, 07:27 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

Drive4Fun,

I bought my '02 RX with Nav, and it's still having the old system software DVD (version 2000). I started filing complaints, sent letters, to corporate and my dealership since January 2002, nobody really took me seriously, since they think I'm just a kid (I'm 26 years old anyways).

To make a long story short, here's my case:
1. I filed a complaint to the State Attorney General's Office, sent them all evidence that shows Lexus has produced false advertising, misrepresented, mislead and lied to the public about its Nav capabilities. I, as a consumer, has been lied to.

2. AG office reviewed my complaint and forwarded it to the Federal Trade Commission, so I get a case number from FTC, who will investigate my complaint.

3. AG office also sent my complaint to the General Manager of my dealership (Lexus of Bellevue - Washington State).

4. My dealer's GM said some executive from Lexus corporate will formally response to my complaint.

5. I am tired of all lies, I am getting ready to call up a lawyer, and perhaps start a "Class-action" suit -- I'll seek advice from my lawyer.

And FYI, my salesperson (whom I respect and like very much) just called me, and he said ever since I got the Attorney General's office to investigate, my dealer's General Manager has been handling my case personally and busy making many phone calls to the corporate.

I am making it very simple, basically I want my car to perform as promised and claimed by Lexus, and Lexus should immediately revise their claims and apologize to the public formally.

I'm sure it won't be hard for the lawyer to start a "class action" suit, maybe just take time... I think they just need to go to the State's Department of Licensing and get a list of all '02 Lexus buyers with Nav, and start sending out letters. Remember, this is NOT only involve RX300, I believe the only Lexus vehicles that has the most up-to-date Nav are only LS430, SC430, and ES300. GS, and IS may have newer version than 2000, but still not the most current.

I'll give it another 2 weeks for the corporate exec to response to my claim, and if nothing happens or not acceptable, I'll definitely sue my dealer and the corporate! This is Madness!!!

I'll keep you guys updated ...

-Hendry
Old 03-06-02, 08:13 PM
dzar
Driver School Candidate

Default Go Hendry!

I, too, have been dealing with the lies and misinformation from Lexus since last June (2001). I spoke to lexus two days ago and was told, again, "mid-2002." no firm date, no firm cost, no firm anything.

They have been stringing us along for too long. If anyone wants another memebr to document the lies, I'm here!

Dave
Old 03-06-02, 08:37 PM
dzar
Driver School Candidate

Default Check out Lexus' Web Site!

http://www.lexus.com/contact.html#8 and
http://www.lexus.com/contact.html#9

Here they tell us that Navtech IS the supplier of the database and that Toyota puts it together (maybe out of old Denso parts).

The also tell us "At this time, Lexus plans to continue to provide new database information updates twice a year (spring and fall). Please contact your local Lexus dealer for further details."

Now, we all know that is a lie.
Old 03-07-02, 06:02 AM
RocketSlug
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would gladly join a class action lawsuit for this problem. I don't want money; I would simply sue for an update.

I can't even eject the damn DVD in my 01 gs430. It is a magical and mysterious box to me. Dealer lied when I asked if 02 gs430 is same price, and it is, but I guess the NAV would have been the same 01 version.
Old 03-07-02, 10:13 AM
Drive4Fun
Driver

"I would gladly join a class action lawsuit for this problem. I don't want money; I would simply sue for an update."

Me too.
Old 03-07-02, 04:20 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

RocketSlug,

In order to eject NAV DVD, you have to first slide the cover in front of "Eject" buttom to the side to expose it. Also, the key has to be at either ACC or Run position. When you put back, before use your NAV again, the slide cover need to be back to its original position in order for NAV to function.

Quick Reply: Navigation: DVD Update