Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Navigation: DVD Update

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-02, 04:43 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought the 2001.1 update for my LS430. Price was $550 give or take a couple of bucks. I suppose I should check and find out why I didn't get the $499 price that I have seen here.

Anyway, as far as the install goes, on the LS430 the Nav DVD is in the trunk, right-hand side, under a trim panel. If you pop out a couple of screws, you can tilt up the DVD player just far enough to eject the CD.

There is a button on the front of the unit that slides back and forth, when you slide this button it will open the disc slot. Then you press the button down (or actually I think you press down on the space next to the button that you uncovered by sliding it, and this will eject the DVD.

Pop in the new DVD, and slide the button back to close the slot.

-jim-
Old 05-28-02, 06:52 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim,

I'm guessing the price difference is purely dealer mark-up profit.

For example, my local dealer here (Lexus of Bellevue) actually charges $599 for the update, and another Lexus dealer not too far away charges only $499.

So I'm sure it's dealer profit mark-up. The new-car sales dept of my local dealer also had to write up a PO for $599 to cover mine...

-Hendry
Old 05-28-02, 08:59 PM
ptam28
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the instructions. Does anyone happen to have the Part Number for the DVD for the GS? TIA.
Old 05-29-02, 06:15 AM
Drive4Fun
Driver

The numbers on the jewel case for my 2001 GS 430 DVD are:
86807-12010
104632-0322
Old 05-29-02, 08:55 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hendry:

You may be right re the dealer markup on the DVD. The weird thing is that I bought two keys at the same time, and these were priced considerably *less* than what I expected.

I bought my LS430 from a non-Lexus dealer in Dallas and he only had the card-key and one Master key. I called the local Lexus dealer and was quoted $234 for a master key, $75 for a valet key, plus $65 for programming them.

My local dealership charged me a total of $200 for both keys, and no charge to program. Of course I don't know what the price should be, so this may still be high....

The cost of some of the replacement parts on the 430 is staggering. I picked up some reference sheets that show parts cost for most parts on the vehicle. Some examples (approx costs from memory):

Nav display: $4,000+
Nav computer: $5,000+
Radar cruise sensor, $3,000+
Sonar parking sensors (each) $275
Steering wheel (wood) $2,400

I recently installed XM radio and am thinking of mounting the control head on the flip-down wood panel that covers the CD changer. I checked the price of the wood panel to see what it would cost if I screwed it up, or for a replacement to put the car back in "factory" condition. It's about $300!

-jim-
Old 05-29-02, 09:48 PM
gs300
Driver

give me part numbers and i will let you guys know what the cost price for lexus
Old 05-30-02, 11:18 AM
LarryF
Rookie

I was quoted $611 by Lexus of Rockville, MD - OUCH! Any chance of a group buy for this update? Any dealers monitoring this forum who would like to give me a better price? Have credit card, will order!!
Old 05-30-02, 07:01 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

Larry, you might want to try calling one of my local Lexus dealer, they quoted me last time for $499 for the update, perhaps they can also ship it to you for a small fee, and still save you some money,

Here's their website:

http://www.seattlelexus.com/index.html

(800)446-8413

good luck,
Hendry
Old 06-01-02, 04:43 PM
bioart
Driver School Candidate

Default And so it begins

I bought my RX300 in January and it only included the 2000 version of the Disc. I've called the dealer and said that I was planning a trip to Canada, (which I am) and that I was really surprised that it wasn't covered at all (if any, haven't checked what puny coverage this version has). I said I had expected the new version to be available and that of course I know want it to be given to me as if I was buying the car today

The salesman said that the changes were minimal (to which I said that this was not true since I knew better). We are now waiting for a call from the service manager to see what they say.

My question is: Does anyone have a listing of all the chances in the new version of the navi for the RX300 series? I need all the ammo I can get

Thanks!

DrArt
Old 06-02-02, 04:12 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

Art,

Doesn't matter if actual changes are minimal or not, fact is your car should have come with the new update (FOR FREE). They will try to convince you that changes are very minimal, blah .... blah... blah... just so they can save money and not having to give you one for free. If you're going to Canada, basically, the new update DOES cover Canada, the old does NOT.

So it's your call... If they consider having Canadian coverage is minimal, they ought to go back to school.

I had big big arguements with my dealership and corporate on this issue. However, now it's all settled, got the free update, and I'm a happy camper again.

-Hendry
Old 06-03-02, 10:41 AM
LarryF
Rookie

I called the Lexus Customer Satisfaction line (800-25Lexus), and the woman I talked to read me a rather long list of the new information on the updated disk. Give them a call - perhaps they can fax it to you or you can write it down.
Old 06-03-02, 11:26 AM
bioart
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the head's up.

I called and got the info about which areas are new and which are updated (she went too fast...) but some of them:

17 new areas in US including: Fresno, StLouis, Florida Keys, Bakersfield, Lincoln NE, Eugene OR, TX, AL, KY, IDAHO (I'm assuming some new areas in those states).

5 new areas in Canada, including Montreal, Ontario, Toronto plus I believe the highway system

Also has expanded coverage in:

Philly, Pitsburg, Detroit, Chicago, NYC, DC, Virginia, Seattle, San Francisco, Memphis, Orlando.

She still quoted me 400 MSRP which is way too much for something that should have come in my 2002 model (bought in January)

Art
Old 06-03-02, 11:39 AM
Drive4Fun
Driver

$400, eh? My dealer said $499. I've read of others over $600.

This kind of pricing scam, combined with their outrageous "recommended" service intervals, puts Lexus dealers' parts and service near the bottom of my list of the people I trust.

By the way, I believe that if you ask your parts manager for the list of the "minimal" changes, he'll have the one you got over the phone ... mine did.
Old 06-04-02, 03:46 PM
joedoe
Rookie

Exclamation

Talked to my dealer today about Nav DVD update. He said that 2002 update is expected to be on schedule and would be available in November of 2002. So does it make sense to buy the 2001 upgrade now when the newer one will be available in 4 months?

BTW, on the parts manager's document I noticed, that the dealer's price for the upgrade is $349 only and $499 is MSRP!
Old 06-04-02, 03:59 PM
Drive4Fun
Driver

I wouldn't rely on the dealer's or Lexus' statement on availability date.

I was told, by Lexus Customer Satisfaction, in August, 2001, that the 2001 update would be available in the fall of 2001. I became available in late May, 2002, 8 months late.

Quick Reply: Navigation: DVD Update