Sponsored by:

Installing new headunit

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-05, 09:17 AM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing new headunit

Alright...I know that headunits have been discussed here before, and I HAVE searched and read those threads (including the wiring thread...very helpful).

Here's my question: For those of you who have removed the stock headunit and installed an aftermarket one (specifically sony), what things will I need? Will I need a specific installation kit? Is there anything specifically that I should be careful of? I'm gonna be installing a single DIN sony mp3/cd player.

Any help with this would be greatly aprpeciated.
Old 12-22-05, 09:44 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Um.... i don't think there is really a specific installation kit you can buy... I think it will have to be custom because there is an extra little gap on the bottom or top depending on where your planning to install it. i don't think it will matter if your going single or double...

took a pic of mine for ya.... i know it's not the best setup...and things aren't flush but just wanted to show you the gap
Old 12-22-05, 10:04 AM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

thanks for the quick reply....

Anyone try putting a 1 DIN tray slot and a 1/2 DIN tray slot?

I wish they made a 1 1/2 DIN tray slot...lol

Was the headunit installation really tricky?
Old 12-22-05, 10:22 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm..very interesting. I wonder if anyone has a picture of those stereos that fully fill up the entire space of where the stock stereo was?
Old 12-22-05, 10:39 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
Hmm..very interesting. I wonder if anyone has a picture of those stereos that fully fill up the entire space of where the stock stereo was?
Funny you guys are discussing this as I'm right now researching possible headunit upgrades for my SC.

I was looking at the Kenwood DDX-7015 and the Rosen R6500.

Both seem like they'd fill up the stock location nicely, obviously with the Rosen you'd have to fab a piece of ABS plastic to cover up the 1/2 din gap that would be left, but it still is a great looking unit that doesn't break up the smoothness of the stock dash set-up.

Opinions? Ideas?
Old 12-22-05, 10:44 AM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

just get a pioneer avic d1

Old 12-22-05, 10:55 AM
CyberSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Or a Kenwood DDX. Here's mine. Needed a custom mounting bracket.

Here's my old thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...od+touchscreen

Hope it helps.

Last edited by CyberSC4; 12-22-05 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-22-05, 10:56 AM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

^^ That looks simply awesome
Old 12-22-05, 11:01 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

I should be getting my eclipse avn2494 either today or tomorrow, soon as I get it installed I'll take some pictures and throw them up here. I think that regardless there's going to need to be a little bit of ABS used to cover the very bottom of the gap.

as for the single din install it's not too bad, but I agree there should be a 1 1/2 DIN pocket that is made for certain model cars. Unfortuantely you can't just get a DIN kit for it, I will be happy to fill more of the space up
Old 12-22-05, 11:23 AM
sc.Fred
Instructor

i'll def invest in an eclipse AVN when i come up on the money... eclipse makes great products!

i have the same setup as batmobile. i had to put a little filler piece on the bottom because it showed a little gap on it... it's all good because mp3 players are just dope to have.

CyberSC4 - your setup is dope! do you have any film that you put over the screen so it doesn't get scratch's? is it touch screen?
Old 12-22-05, 12:43 PM
lexsc492
Pole Position

Default ...

im going to install pioneer deh-p6700mp and also flip out touchscreen avx-p8dvd this weekend... i will put up some pics when i finish... right now i have aftermarket aiwa but i couldnt find constant 12v power so i hooked up red and yellow to acc power... can someone help me find the constant 12v? or should i run a wire with a fuse from battery?
Old 12-22-05, 01:27 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by racinstyle
just get a pioneer avic d1

i was so hardcore on getting this when we got it int stock at the circuit city i work at but then i found out it does not play DVD movies
Old 12-22-05, 03:22 PM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

THis is just a thought since I don't even own an SC, but looks like it's a 2 1/2 Din size.

How about getting a 1 1/2 din stereo made for the domestic markets (I think you can see some examples in the crutchfield catalogs) and getting the 1 din pocket sleeve? There might not be much selections out there for the 1.5 din stereo, just a thought
Old 12-22-05, 04:30 PM
CyberSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sc.Fred
i'll def invest in an eclipse AVN when i come up on the money... eclipse makes great products!

i have the same setup as batmobile. i had to put a little filler piece on the bottom because it showed a little gap on it... it's all good because mp3 players are just dope to have.

CyberSC4 - your setup is dope! do you have any film that you put over the screen so it doesn't get scratch's? is it touch screen?
I don't have a screen protector on mine. But imagine it'd be easy to cut one to fit. The screen itself is scratch and smudge resistant. For normal use that should be fine.
Old 12-22-05, 04:42 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

^^

yeah i wouldn't be too scared unless you have long fingernails and really sweaty hands. you should be good without a screen protector.

Quick Reply: Installing new headunit