Sponsored by:

Need help with dark rear screen after starting car

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-05, 01:42 PM
Monkeyman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with dark rear screen after starting car

Greetings. I have an OEM rear DVD/navigation system in a 2006 400h.

Here's my problem. My kids are watching a DVD. We go to the grocery store and buy some food. We come back to the car and turn on the car. The rear screen of the DVD does not turn back on (although the audio does come through the sound system). I can't imagine this being the intention of the designers cause it doesn't make much sense to me.

Here's how I currently resolve the problem. While in park, I lean back to reach the rear DVD controls (I can do this with the remote too of course), press the "source" button. Scroll over to "DVD", then press enter again to get rid of the "hint" suggesting that if I want to move to a different scene in my movie I might try the remote control (not all that helpful).

Kind of a hassle compared to every other car I've had with a DVD player before that just starts were you left off last time your car was on.

The other strange thing I've found is that with the parking break on when you can view the DVD on the front screen, there is a "Rear OFF" button on the display screen which turns the rear screen off, but pressing it a second time does not, as intuition would suggest, turn it back on.

I've run this past two folks in local service and two salespeople and they are basically stumped. I did my best to go through the two inches worth of manuals but I'm at a loss.

Can anyone help?

MB