Sponsored by:

Need some advice on sound proofing the interior of my GS

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-05, 01:19 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Need some advice on sound proofing the interior of my GS

I want to sound proof the interior of my car. Two reasons for this - I just want to reduce the sound levels inside the car in general and improve the accoustics of my future audio upgrade (don't know if that will happen anytime soon).

1. How easy is it to remove the front seats in order to get under the carpet to soundproof the floor boards? Or can the sound proofing be done without removing the front seats? The rear seat is very easy to remove, so no issues there.

2. Should I sound proof the interior of the trunk as well?

3. Regarding the doors, is this the best method of sound proofing :

The reason why I ask about the doors is that you can also theoretically sound proof the outer skin as well. I know that would be hard to do as the holes to get to it are fairly small, but I would imagine that would provide even greater benefit in terms of sound proofing the interior.

I have tons of sound-proofing material already purchased and want to do this mod in early spring next year.

Found this very informative site for applying sound proofing material to the doors - http://www.edesignaudio.com/edeadv1_install

Here are pics of a Scion TC - the interior completely gutted and then sound proofed:
http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12097

Last edited by Hameed; 12-29-05 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-29-05, 02:56 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Hameed,
1) I haven't removed front seats yet (even though I have my new Leatherseats.com leather waiting...), I imagine it is not too easy with the power seats. I also don't think floor boards are as important as the other stuff when soundproofing. i would just do the rear, plus as much of the front as you can get at, and keep it simple.
2) Definitely sound proof the trunk interior, assuming you have a subwoofer back there.
3) The pic shows the inner door skin - yeah, cover as much of this as feasible, but the outer door skin should also be covered as much as you can get at. It is actually more important than the inner skin. You will find that your rear doors sound more like Mercedes doors after soundproofing, instaed of like hollow tuna fish cans, when you close them.
Good luck!
Jerry
Old 12-29-05, 03:31 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Hameed,

Don't know if this is the best way to do it, but have a pic of the method my installer chose to do mine.

Old 12-30-05, 07:50 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

That is one huge mid you have in there Dave. What size and brand of speaker is that? Do you know what the mounting depth of that bad boy was?
Old 12-30-05, 08:17 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Originally Posted by OutlawTita
That is one huge mid you have in there Dave. What size and brand of speaker is that? Do you know what the mounting depth of that bad boy was?
I've got Dynaudio 240 MKII Speakers Front (pictured) and Dynaudio MW160 Rear same as the mid-woof in the 240 set, they're 7" I believe and the tweets are 3". Not sure on the depth (sure you can find it searching this forum, several members have this set) but it's a fairly tight fit.
Old 12-30-05, 07:57 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That's also a heck of a job on the custom baffle, Dave.
Us peons just have MDF/wood ones.
Old 12-31-05, 05:17 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gotta say that project of buiding your own baffles for the Dyns was a lot of work but very fun. It's all worth it at the end of the project.