Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Taking a Step Up - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-01, 08:53 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey guys, well most of you know about my old Legacy Subwoofer system, basiccly they sucked... what can i say. Now i'm planning to move up to a stronger amp and Sony XPLOD subwoofers, i can get two 12s for about 200CDN which seems like a good price. When ever i have dealt with sony i have gotten a good product, do you think these will be good too? if not please help me out with a system i'm deciding this or and Apex'i AFC its a hard decision, thanks guys. right now i have about 1000CDN to spend.
Old 08-08-01, 09:41 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

From what i heard about Xplode woofer are that they suck..Just what i heard, about 3 people.
tony,, heard good stuff afoubt, audioband, Eclips, diamond, M3, Infiniti Kappa and perfect. JLaw3 or 6, and rockfords He
Old 08-08-01, 11:18 PM
LeXusBoy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by LexusRules
hey guys, well most of you know about my old Legacy Subwoofer system, basiccly they sucked... what can i say. Now i'm planning to move up to a stronger amp and Sony XPLOD subwoofers, i can get two 12s for about 200CDN which seems like a good price. When ever i have dealt with sony i have gotten a good product, do you think these will be good too? if not please help me out with a system i'm deciding this or and Apex'i AFC its a hard decision, thanks guys. right now i have about 1000CDN to spend.
HEY!!! You told me they were good. Hum should I buy them or not. Maby I will lol.
Old 08-09-01, 09:14 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Want BOOM?!

Sasha - Got a chance to hear those Sony "Coke bottle tops" & must admit that they hit hard but I'm a little leary to recommend them as they're kinda new & don't know how well they'll hold up in the long run. BTW - also heard the better-built L-7's from Kicker & they will hammer but still too sloppy for my tastes. I still will go with the old, time proven & tested woofers by JL & RF. Between these 2, the JL will yield better SQ while the RF's R better for SPL. If ya go with JL's, try the 12W-3 series with about 300-400 watts per woofer. I had those originally but they couldn't handle the 650+ watts per sub that I had going to them. However, the RF HX2's haven't failed me yet on the same amp!! Man, I hate to hear a woofer FART!!:eek:
Old 08-09-01, 10:59 AM
LeXusBoy
Lead Lap

Hey Mean Gene?

What would be a good Sub just to add some More boom to an RX300. We don't listen to music to loud but it just feels like it should have more bass (I'm used to things with good subs, I.e. Home Entertainment System.) I'm guessing one to replace the stock one.

Sasha I'm going to compare.
Old 08-09-01, 06:54 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question More Info Needed

LB - Never worked on an RX3 so what size woofer is in there from the factory? For a nice upgrade ( w/o regard to woofer size ), I still favor JL Audio. Their stuff is clean, responsive & efficient. Even their infinite baffle ( free-airs ) sound fine. However, with the exception of the 15W-3 & 18W-3 series, I haven't found them to be overly durable when fed lots of power - probably because of their efficiency. Would still advise a separate amp dedicated to the sub but need to know the woofer size before recommending a power range.
Old 08-09-01, 08:01 PM
LeXusBoy
Lead Lap

Default Re: More Info Needed

Originally posted by Mean Gene
LB - Never worked on an RX3 so what size woofer is in there from the factory? For a nice upgrade ( w/o regard to woofer size ), I still favor JL Audio. Their stuff is clean, responsive & efficient. Even their infinite baffle ( free-airs ) sound fine. However, with the exception of the 15W-3 & 18W-3 series, I haven't found them to be overly durable when fed lots of power - probably because of their efficiency. Would still advise a separate amp dedicated to the sub but need to know the woofer size before recommending a power range.
I dont know I think it might be an 8 or 10. Im not sure though. When sitting in the back seat of an ES and then sitting in the passenger seat of the RX (the sub is under the seat) it seems that the ES has better bass. So im not sure.
Old 08-13-01, 07:15 AM
Ear Candy
Driver School Candidate

Subs like any speakers should be judged by your ears.
As for the sonys, I have be getting probs with customers coming back due to the cold weather. They don't like to be hitting hard in fairly low temps. The sonys need an above average air space to get them to reproduce the really low notes well. Not a bad trade off for the money.

Sasha
For 1 grand, I would go with a little more intense set up. Try JL, Alpine (type R), RF, eclipse, ID, there are a few others but the begin to get pricey. For all the subs I have listed above, should run you about 150-250 per sub, all but the eclipse, not too bad. Get a decent amp for now and then upgrade later.

As for the music vs go fast, this is a tough choice. Weigh your options carefully and then decide. If your like me you'll want it all at once, which leaves me near the poor house, I just can seem to get enough of anything now a days.