Sponsored by:

For owners of the Eclipse AVN5435

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-06, 08:02 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For owners of the Eclipse AVN5435

Ok, I'm going to take the plunge and get this unit. I know what its capable of but I just have a few questions regarding some features that I did not see when researching this unit. I am aware that it can play mp3's burned on CDs but can it also play mp3's burned onto DVDs? Also, can this unit play DVDs while the car is being driven or do I need to bypass something to get this working? One last question, I'm assuming it cannot play mpeg or avi files burned onto cd/dvds? Whether it has these or not, I'm getting it anyways. It already has the 3 features I want, mp3, navigation, and dvd playback.

Thanks, I appreciate any help. And I know I'm going to fall in love with this unit.
Old 01-13-06, 08:51 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not positive about the mpeg or avi, but I'm 90% sure that it will play data DVDs and DVD-/+R/RW. That was my big upset with the 2454, that it didn't play burned DVDs. Out of the box it will not play DVDs while you drive, however...there is not a big ordeal that you need to go through to bypass this function. Simply ground the red wire with the white stripe and you're golden. Hope that helps
Old 01-13-06, 09:03 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 88supramki
I am not positive about the mpeg or avi, but I'm 90% sure that it will play data DVDs and DVD-/+R/RW. That was my big upset with the 2454, that it didn't play burned DVDs. Out of the box it will not play DVDs while you drive, however...there is not a big ordeal that you need to go through to bypass this function. Simply ground the red wire with the white stripe and you're golden. Hope that helps

What do you mean by grounding the red wire with the white stripe? Do you mean just connect these 2 wires together or connect them together and then ground them to the chassis (sp?)?
Old 01-13-06, 09:34 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Chassis will be sufficient. I did the same on my KVT-910 KEnwood and works like a charm
Old 01-13-06, 09:42 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

just find a bolt nearby and connect the red w/ white stripe to it. or connectr it to one of the screws that hold the deck to the mounting bracket.
Old 01-13-06, 10:09 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

just find a bolt nearby and connect the red w/ white stripe to it. or connectr it to one of the screws that hold the deck to the mounting bracket.
Oh I understand now, thanks. One last thing. Is there a speed sensor wire that I need to connect?
Old 01-13-06, 05:55 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

yes, I believe it's a green wire that is on the same harness as the red w/ white stripe
Old 01-13-06, 08:02 PM
GSXLEX
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will LOVE this unit..Had mine since June and cant think of anything it lacks!!On top of that..It plug and play for Sirrius
Hers a pic of my install
Old 01-16-06, 11:02 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes, I believe it's a green wire that is on the same harness as the red w/ white stripe
Actually, the speed sensor wire off the unit is purple. You connect it to the green wire on the back of your speedometer in pin #6. And yes, you do have to hook it up. The green wire off the deck goes to the positive output on your reverse light. If you have a camera you can hook this up. I have this deck and installed it recently. I love it.
Old 01-16-06, 12:17 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

ah ha, i couldn't remember which color the wire was since I didn't hook it up. I didn't do the reverse wire cause I'm not a huge fan of the backup camera on a car...it just seems pointless to me. If you're driving in reverse, you should be looking behind you...you learn this in driver's ed. Now if this was put on a vehicle that is going to be towing something, or put on a trailer so that you could see behind it....i can understand that. But on a car???...I'm just going to get off my soapbox and shutup You don't HAVE to hook up the speed sensor wire, unless you want accurate Navigation prompts. The GPS antenna will give a signal to the unit, but it won't be as accurate as it is with the wire hooked up.
Old 01-16-06, 09:19 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The camera is great if youre a parent (which I am). Have somebody crawl behind your bumper and tell me if you can see them.. With the camera, you can verify that no child is behind you and you still have to look behind you after that! If youre not a parent then I guess its just for fun like my UPS driver always used to back up in this parking spot that had a huge cinder block in the front. He would back right up to it within half an inch but never hit it. I asked him how the heck he did that....camera.

The speedsensor wire doesn't stop you from watching dvd's while driving on the eclipse. So you should hook up that wire for accuracy.
Old 01-16-06, 11:39 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by speedaddic
The speedsensor wire doesn't stop you from watching dvd's while driving on the eclipse. So you should hook up that wire for accuracy.

that was my exact point, it's not an absolute necessity but it provides MUCH more accurate directions while driving. I already went through the way to watch DVDs while you're driving, it's quite simple.

as for the camera...to each their own. I back into parking spaces about once or twice every two or three years so that's not a real big issue for me.

Last edited by 88supramki; 01-16-06 at 11:43 PM.