Sponsored by:

Which are better speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-06, 05:36 PM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which are better speakers?

Im lookin into redoing my interior speakers and caught in the middle of deciding.

#1 choice are infinity followed by Audiobahn, then polk db. Which company makes the better speaker?
Old 01-17-06, 05:47 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

whats ur budget?
Old 01-18-06, 04:40 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

audio bahn is crap, polk is crap get the infinity
Old 01-18-06, 01:15 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What Polk Momo's are crap? Compared to what? Infinity's are good and Polks are just as good as well. Listen to them individually at a sound shop near you. Remember all above speakers will sound bad unless you amp them up with a good amp and have a good headunit to power them. What kind of headunit do you have now? What kind of sound system are you trying to build? Don't just listen to people who say things are crap with no knowledge to back them up. What justifies speakers as good are several factors. Here's a few

1. s/N ratio
2. db sound range 20hz to 35000hz (for example) meaning how low can they play bass and how high can they play your high signals
3. Wattage (how much can they take) etc

Check out the stats on the similar speakers, head over to a sound shop and listen to them amped up with a good amp and go from there. The ones you like best, get those and amp them up properly and you should be on your way
Old 01-20-06, 11:36 AM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

All three companies make decent to above average speakers...
Whats more important is the power you send to them and installation.
Even "crappy" speakers can potentially sound good.

I'm not too familiar with Audiobauhn products but after installing numerous Polk and Infinity speakers in the past, they're both pretty much the same.
If your budget allows check out the Infinity Perfects or if you have ~$750 at your disposal check out the new Polk "SR" series.
Old 01-20-06, 12:29 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Personal preference is Infinity & Polk over the Audiobahn. I've never been a fan of Audiobahn stuff, though many swear by them. IMO, Polk Audio makes some of the finest tweeters that can be had in the $100-$200 range. Infinity has very good quality across the board.

Your budget is your most important factor here and we need to know that to help you better.

Some other manufacturers to look at are MB Quart (my personal fav), Boston Acoustic.
Old 01-20-06, 01:34 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think its personal preference you have to hear them for yourself and pick whats best for you.

i just purchased MB Quart PCE 216 for the front and as a filler for the rear DKE 116...they arrive on tuesday..wuppieeee
Old 01-20-06, 01:44 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by GSoup
I think its personal preference you have to hear them for yourself and pick whats best for you.

i just purchased MB Quart PCE 216 for the front and as a filler for the rear DKE 116...they arrive on tuesday..wuppieeee

Bro, you are gonna LOVE the DKE's!!!!! That's what i put in the SC. I am sooooo in love with them!!!

What size are the PCE's? 4"?
Old 01-20-06, 05:14 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry, i don't mean to jack your thread but.. their 6.5"..i already started the carputer so i ordered my speakers..check my thread...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190286
Old 01-20-06, 05:33 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tiguy99
What Polk Momo's are crap? Compared to what? Infinity's are good and Polks are just as good as well. Listen to them individually at a sound shop near you. Remember all above speakers will sound bad unless you amp them up with a good amp and have a good headunit to power them. What kind of headunit do you have now? What kind of sound system are you trying to build? Don't just listen to people who say things are crap with no knowledge to back them up. What justifies speakers as good are several factors. Here's a few

1. s/N ratio
2. db sound range 20hz to 35000hz (for example) meaning how low can they play bass and how high can they play your high signals
3. Wattage (how much can they take) etc

Check out the stats on the similar speakers, head over to a sound shop and listen to them amped up with a good amp and go from there. The ones you like best, get those and amp them up properly and you should be on your way
Speakers aren't rated in S/N ratio - they never were. You may be thinking of head units or amplifiers.

db sound range? That's a new one on me. How about rewording it as "frequency response"? That's what you'll usually find on the spec sheet.

wattage is an accurate term though.

As for a speaker recommendation, if you want the top of the top (please don't mention quarts...I've dumped many sets and believed Quarts hype a long time ago) I'd suggest you try out Dynaudio. Give them a FAIR listen and take notes when auditioning. They are NOT inexpensive, but well worth the sound. Those that have upgraded to the Dyns will agree also.

Percy
Old 01-20-06, 08:51 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Leave the Audiobahn in the store.
Audiobahn is the proud owner of the absolute WORST review I've EVER seen on a speaker of any kind (sometime in the last year or so in Car Audio & Electronics). Almost made me puke. I never thought you could actually market a woofer that bad, but they proved me wrong.
Infinity's are decent. So are Polks, esp. the better Polks. Surprised nobody mentioned Boston, the Boston Pro's are arguably better than either of the other two, and in the same price range. Quarts and JL audio are just OK.
Diamond Audio is prob the next step up, then Dyn's and Focals and CDT and a host of others.

This argument and ranking may never end.

Jerry
Old 01-20-06, 09:19 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Jerry,

Even worse than Kraco?!? Pep boys special? Blue light stuff? (kmart)

Percy
Old 01-20-06, 09:53 PM
YZFR1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say Audiobahn is absolute Junk.......... Some good names were mentioned (Focal, CDT (vifa). It really depends on your budget.... There are tons of options really........... If you can afford Focal Utopia's with a TN51 tweet.................... i would go with them..... The new Berillium stuff is just rediculously priced.............. Morel USA (now renaissanse) is really good stuff too........ The older Diamond audio stuff made by Eton was really good as well....... the new stuff doesn't compare really....Let us know your budget, and we can steer you in the right direction....

Dan
Old 01-21-06, 07:36 AM
Josey
Driver

Talking

I agree with Percy 100 % : Dynaudios all the way. Josey
Old 01-21-06, 11:09 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

hey i actually considered the beyma speakers... my friend has a pair in his ride and they sounded really good... anyone?

Quick Reply: Which are better speakers?