Infinity 4" speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-06, 06:49 PM
lctaylor1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infinity 4" speakers

New Infinity 4" speakers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was looking to replace the speakers in 99 GS4. I have already added an Alpine sub amp and a 12" Infinity Perfect sub. I saw some 4" 2 way speakers in a car audio store (Infinity model 4021i). The mid and the highs sounded pretty impressive for a 4" 2 way speaker. Somehow they increased the size of the woofer cone in order to be more efficient and give better bass response. My question is if I go with these speakers, will I get any sound out of the tweeters in the front door because there are components up front which means they have a crossover. I am going to change the factory tweeters as well, so I guess it doesnt matter if the tweeter on the 2 ways do not work. I was just wondering if it would work and if anyone heard these speakers and what do they think of them. I know most people would say increase the size but I do not want to start cutting and modifying. I just want better quality sound. I have the low end covered. I am thinking of repalcing front and rear doors with these speakers.
Old 01-20-06, 08:58 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You can get this to work. When you remove the stock enclosure, you can tap the incoming wires BEFORE any crossover components (if my memory serves me, there is only a highpass for the tweeter). This will allow you to run the coax Infinity 4's, which I would expect to be better than stock, but the stock enclosure will shape the sound similarly to what it was with the stock speakers. To get even better results, you need to make new baffles, and then you can use 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 speakers.
Why not just get a 4", or larger, component set anyway? You might get weird results if you have 2 tweeters running.
Old 01-20-06, 10:29 PM
lctaylor1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I actually installed them and they did not sound much better like you said. There was a little more clarity in the mid section, but the stock speakers were actually more rich sounding with more low end. I mean there was a definite difference in the lows. So I decided to change the rear door stock speakers so I could have more detail and highs in the rear. I installed the stocks back in the front doors. I guess I will have to break down and custom make a baffle in order to install some 5 1/4s or 6 1/2s up front. When I make these baffles for the front doors, will there be enough clearance for the door panel? And how in the heck does the stock tweeters come out?
Old 01-20-06, 11:31 PM
lctaylor1
Driver School Candidate

Nevermind the question about building the baffle boards. I found enough info on CL about how to do it. However, I still did not see anything on how to remove the factory tweeters. Any help on this will be appreciated.
Old 01-21-06, 08:26 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

Default Stock tweeter replacement

Removing the stock tweeter is not difficult. Putting one back in can be. Removing the tweeter believe it or not involves removing the door panel. There is a 10mm nut holding the trim in place. When that is removed, the black trim along the top edge of the door can be snapped off when you pull the plastic rivet out of the lower end. The tweeter is attached to a metal bracket that hooks in with a "tooth" at the top and is held in place with the nut on the lower end. The tweeter will then come out. The metal bracket is attached to the tweeter with a small screw and some adhesive. Now comes the hard part. New tweeters do not come with the screw hole required to mount to the bracket. All sorts of mounting methods could be used but I chose to glue my tweeters to the bracket. That's right K-mart shoppers, glue. The type I have chosen is a glue I have used before for a lot of different things. I picked it up at Home Depot for a project and I can't believe how incredibly strong it is. I have used it ever since. It is Goop carpenter's sealant and adhesive. It is strong enough that I have trouble removing a bead of this stuff from my blue jean pants. It is flexible but water and heat resistant. I glued the tweeters to the brackets and let them set for about an hour while I worked on running wiring and making speaker baffles etc. Installing the tweeters back in takes some skill and ingenuity to work the tweeter and the black trim back into place and onto the nut stud at the same time. I removed the tweeter covers from the black trim to make it easier to reinstall everything. I also removed the metal cover from my tweeter. I did not want 2 covers (tweeter and Lexus stock) and it made the fit much easier. The Lexus tweeter covers just snapped back into place and the tweeters have held their position well. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Infinity 4" speakers-tweet.jpg