Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which alarm system do you have?
I have an aftermarket alarm
37.50%
I have stock alarm system
57.81%
I have none
4.69%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Aftermarket alarm in your ride?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-07, 09:19 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
hmm so what are some good brands? my car goy keyed a couple weeks ago but im not pissed because my hood is already bad, just imagine a U on my big big hood. dam jealous haters, wish i can put some sort of electric field around it.
You can get a proximity sensors installed with the DEI alarms and those made by Audiovox(Prestige). It will give warning chirps or full blast depending on the severity of the encroachment.
Old 09-21-07, 09:34 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

whats the price range around those?
Old 09-21-07, 10:36 AM
Ken'sGS300
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going with a full Compustar 2 way alarm/starter in a few months. Nice thing about this unit, it has a built in "turbo timer". So, once my swap goes in, I will have one less electronic box to add on.
Old 09-22-07, 11:23 AM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say 007 Lotus alarm. You mess with my car, you're a crispy critter and the insurance pays me full price + sales tax for the fire damage you caused.

Seriously. Who are you trying to stop? A pro or a kid out for a joy ride? I heard one story where a pro stole a new Lexus by standing by it in a suit, acting like he had a problem with it for the onlookers. Called a partner on his cell. Flatbed showed up. Car and suit gone. If alarm went off I'm sure down the road they took care of it.
Old 09-24-07, 04:45 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BCP43002
I heard one story where a pro stole a new Lexus by standing by it in a suit, acting like he had a problem with it for the onlookers. Called a partner on his cell. Flatbed showed up. Car and suit gone. If alarm went off I'm sure down the road they took care of it.
Dang man, shady.....
Old 10-13-07, 05:49 PM
45jimmy
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i just installed a viper 5900. looks the same as the 791vx but instead of a 1/4 mile range, it can go up to 1 mile. in the houston area, i believe they wholesale for about $215. i bought mine for $220 and had a friend install it. only downside is the $100(discounted internet price) replacement remote.
Old 11-04-07, 05:15 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I am using a Clifford Matrix 50.5X with a prox and shock sensor. I also have it controlling my windows/sunroof. I don't have a windows module but I can fully open or close the windows/sunroof.
Old 11-05-07, 01:35 PM
M_Easy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why heavy protection? Path of least resistance. That's what MOST crooks look for- sure there's ALWAYS a way to get ANY vehicle, you don't want to be that path of least resistance for the typical bad guy. Just lowering your odds of coming out to an empty parking spot.

I had a Viper 791 on my Acura, with aux battery backup, prox sensor (which I could deactivate- could be a pain at times), tilt sensor, and interior siren. I have the Python equivalent (forget the model #) on my truck. Always the first thing I do to a vehicle. I suggest that interior siren/aux battery backup combination for you DEI guys/gals, btw.
Old 12-07-07, 06:20 PM
Lex Law
Pole Position

The Clifford I read about also has cool optional features like field disturbance (outside), tilt (wheel thiefs) and ultrasonic sensors (physical entry).

I'd like the alarm to automatically arm and disarm when I approach/leave without taking the transmitter out of my pocket. Any ideas? My IS will have keyless entry, and I don't want to replace one key/fob for another.
Old 12-10-07, 10:57 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

right now i got the stock alarm, but i will be upgrading to an alarm system from connect2car. $400-500 for the anywhere v2 kit isnt bad at all! i think its well worth the money!
Old 12-14-07, 11:07 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

got a python 990 for 200 installed

why so cheap? i work at circuit city so i got a great price on one. i work in install bay so install is all me.
Old 02-02-08, 04:52 PM
sc400nube
Driver School Candidate

Default viper 5900

Originally Posted by 45jimmy
i just installed a viper 5900. looks the same as the 791vx but instead of a 1/4 mile range, it can go up to 1 mile. in the houston area, i believe they wholesale for about $215. i bought mine for $220 and had a friend install it. only downside is the $100(discounted internet price) replacement remote.
I too have installed this alarm on my SC. It can do little tricks like rolling the windows up or down as well as open and close the sunroof. I opted for the interior siren as well as the back up battery. This works great for a person like me that doesn't like to have their car out of their line of sight. It offers two way paging to let you know which zone has been tampered with.

I had a problem with my factory keyless entry and I could not stomach the $360 price tag that is put on replacing the factory key and reprograming it. I got this alarm installed for $450 with all the added extras I just explained.

If your factory alarm is working I would leave it alone, but if you have problems with it just go after market. You get more for your money!

BTW -- you can install it yourself . Viper has a tech line that is great at guiding you through the process. (www.viper.com) I chose to let the shop install mine as I didn't have time. Plus $450 installed or $300 and a half days work. I'll take the $450 and a lifetime install warrenty!
Old 02-06-08, 09:51 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with a prestige xr9000 and added a proximity sensor. A lot of features for at a good price. Remote start, auto up and down on the windows, trunk, fuel cap(had an extra button figured why not) 1 mile range w/ the pager remote and maybe adding on the "onstar" like device who's name escapes me at the moment.
Old 02-07-08, 10:26 PM
infa_red
Driver

compustar pro
Old 02-08-08, 05:59 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting topic --

I have purchased an LS400 that I will not be able to pick up till the middle of next week, so I can't check if A) It has a factory alarm, and B) If it works.

To be precise it is a 1994 LS400 --

I would think all Lexus's have some sort of factory alarm, you know the typical flashing indicator, with at least a door open without disarm would trigger. (Horn/Lights type of thing).

If anyone knows, do you know if the 94 LS400's have a factory alarm? (I know it has working keyless entry), .. and if they do, what all the factory includes on that year/model?

IE: If a window is broken and no door opened will it go off? If they break a window.. get inside, and pop the hood cut the alarm power cable -- Is it that easy to bypass?

Secondly - I've always liked the idea of the remote start, and being able to start without the key (unlock doors just by walking up, and perhaps arming by walking away).

You guys seem like the experts,.. If a guy was trying to put something on a 94 LS400 that had a reasonable 'mix' of these features.

Say, would detect shock/broken windows/hood sensor/doors -- Would at least unlock the doors without pressing the button, but by mere proximity of carrying the unit.. (The remote start of the engine isn't necessary.. I can live without it if it significantly reduces the cost) --

So basically what is the best priced option to turn my LS400 into proximity entry, with a beefed up from stock protection -- cost me? What would you recommend, trying to stay on the inexpensive side. (Option A)

(Option B)

Where I could skip the proximity deal, and just go with

A) Beefier alarm ,.. but not 550$ --

B) Push button to start the car.

So I could walk up to the car and press a button (two if need be) and the doors unlock/alarm unarm/ and the engine crank. I get in and put it in Drive and take off. Basically taking away the need to use a key.

Is there any minimal option variation of the remote start that would run in the 200-300$ range? Or is that a pipe dream?

Also, with remote start,... you don't have to then "when inside your car" have to insert the key into the ignition to actually drive do you?

Sorry for being so uninformed about security systems,.. just give me a run down -- Or a brief rundown and some links if you wish. I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Aftermarket alarm in your ride?