Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

EQ questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-01, 06:53 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the past few weeks I've been trying to think of an equalizer to put into my (future) system. I like the Symmetry EPX but the only thing is that they have discontinued it and I wouldn't know where to install the RDAT. (I have the GS400)

Just a brief description of my sys....
a 4 channel McIntosh running a pair of dyn components and two channels bridged for a sub....probably the JL10W7 if it ever comes out. and alpine cva1006

I thought about buying a 30 band EQ and having someone tuning it does anybody know how much it costs? I know a system with a complete flat response should sound quite awful so how are they deciding what kind of curve the RTA should output?

I know getting someone to use an RTA to tune the system would cost a lot and I would prefer to do it myself with a Radio shack SPL meter (although it'll probably take days), the thing is...30 bands of EQ per channel is a bit much.

Also, another thing is that even if I have a fine tuned system, I think I will sometimes want to change the response depending on the music I'm listening to...but then I would need to have something in the front so I can tune it to my need. THe Symmetry is ALMOST everyting I want except it's a digital controller. I much prefer something with ***** and levers because you can hear the differences right away.

Anybody have any thoughts and opinions?
I'm now leaning to get the audio control EQX with an Audio control four.1 somewhere up front
because

1. the EQX doesn't have millions of bands (since I'm most likely going to do the fine tuning myself)
2. it has a built in cross over
3. I can have something to play around with in the front and alway "zero" it when I do want a flat response.

Oh....and another thing...I do not plan on competing....just want the best sound possible

Thanks

Old 08-13-01, 09:21 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A 6 band parametric will have the same or even more adjustability than a 30 band graphic eq. This is because you can adjust the bandwidth (Q) for each band. This isn't possible with the 30 band graphics since they're a fixed bandwidth. Laser microsurgery (parametric) versus standard handtools (graphic eq).

You're already running what is arguably the best of the best (Mc/Dyn) so why mess it up with anything "lesser"? Get a McIntosh MEQ452 module and the McIntosh MEN456 crossover with the MEC459 controller. Highly adjustable, 4 programmable memories with a "flat" button in case you want to reset the entire system settings. Very slick and I use this. Costly, but in terms of flexibility, it really can't be beat. PLUS, you can use it with virtually any combo of head unit/amp out there.

Digitally controlled ANALOG filters. No headroom loss. You WILL have to mod out the unit to clean up on the "hissing" sound though. I'm told that this is common with most processors.

Tune the system by ear. Take a CD that you know and go from there. HINT...Piano music and female vocals are the hardest to reproduce. If you listen to Leann Rimes, she has a good voice to tune out to. Don't go with Faith Hill...voice is not flexible enough. Only tune the system out for 10 to 15 minutes PER DAY. Otherwise your ears will get very fatigued and you'll mess up on the settings. The real test is listening to it the next morning. You either say "not bad" or "geez...what was I on?!?!" If you want to use an RTA, set it for flat as a baseline and then tweak it from there. That will save your ears some tuning time for the more critical stuff.

I almost hate to say it, but the absolute best voice for tuning is Celine Dion, annoying as it may be. Very wide range of voice and hits the critical 1k to 3k region easily. No Mariah Carey...I wouldn't risk my Dyns on her! If you can get Celine's voice right then your system is 80 to 90 percent tuned. A challenge, but it can be done!

Good luck on finding the Mc gear. Big bucks, but well worth the money.

Percy
Old 08-13-01, 11:25 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whaoooooo....the controller retails $350, x-over $970, EQ $600.....that's a bit rich for my blood....Man....if the economy wasn't so bad...i'd get it but since I'm not sure whether these freakin' layoffs are ever going to end...i'm gonna have to look elsewhere. I could usually get stuff off 30% retail but this is still a bit much.

Thanks a lot though Percy, I considered a parametric EQ also but thought it might be a bit more difficult to tune......why is it that McIntosh's S/N ratio are so low?

Do you know of any other controller type or in dash parametric EQ's out there that are worth considering? I guess anything under $800 retail is alright...but $1900 for the McIntosh setup is too steep.....

Regarding vocal selections......I would agree with your choices.....I'm don't listen to "pure" vocalists but I went through a couple of auditions with Mary Black (recommended by the dealers at high end home audio places) and I found her voice to sound spectacular on good gears. I like it mainly because she can hold a note for more than two seconds unlike singers nowadays......

Oh....just curious....are the velodynes designed for free air configuration? (that's what you have right?) what are the design differences between something that's meant for sealed enclosure and something for free air?

Thanks so much!!
Andrew
Old 08-14-01, 07:10 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Andrew,

Mc rates their gear conservatively and at the full bandwidth, unlike the other manufacturers which just rate it at the 1khz region. If it doesn't say full bandwidth (ie...from 20 to 20khz or some other number) then they're just measuring it at 1khz which just happens to be the lowest distortion number or the highest signal to noise ratio number. Don't worry about the Mc...it just plain beats everything else I've heard, with the exception of the XDP4000x and the XESZ50 from Sony. But they're really close!

I don't know of any other parametric setups under the 800 limit which are good.

The Vels are pretty slick in that all you have to do is flip a switch. Free air for one setting and sealed for another. I do believe there is a setting for ported also. Very neat! Use at least 300 wpc rms for these subs.

Percy