Sponsored by:

Siriusly lousy sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-06, 08:16 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuslover
i don't know which receiver longo uses, but i bought the lexus/toyota sirius receiver and antenna kit from sewell lexus (lexus-parts.com) and then had it installed locally by a dealer for $180. the sound quality is definitely not up to par with FM, and much much worse than CD. i figured that was just the way it is. this is my 1st time using sat radio, so i just chalked it up to being poor quality all around (compared to FM signals).

the good news is that my signal is very good with XM antenna mounted on the rear shelf, but that doesn't help the sound quality coming in!! i did notice that it is slightly better if you turn off the surround sound button in ML and you have to jack up the volume big time. but it's still annoying to not be able to switch back and forth without making adjustments.

i don't think i will be getting sat radio again
I just took a look at the Sirius kit from Sewell Lexus that you have. Your tuner is the one that is pictured in my avatar. It is a wired kit, directly into the amp harness. It is not FM modulated. The sound quality should be better than FM if installed properly.
Old 02-06-06, 01:43 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by engin_ear
I just took a look at the Sirius kit from Sewell Lexus that you have. Your tuner is the one that is pictured in my avatar. It is a wired kit, directly into the amp harness. It is not FM modulated. The sound quality should be better than FM if installed properly.
thanks for checking. so you think the dealer did not do a proper install? i don't see how hard it could be if it's factory-ready (pre-wired) for accepting Sirius or XM. i mean wouldn't it just involve plugging something into the unit? i haven't looked closely at the instructions, but i am guessing that is what it they do.

another thing - i purchased the whole sirius kit from Sewell, but the local dealer took it upon themselves to replace my purchased SIGMA and replace with the smaller XM antenna box so that it could be placed in the rear shelf. it looks great and gets good signal, so i didn't matter much to me. in any case, do you think this has anything to with the sound quality?? TIA!
Old 02-06-06, 07:11 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

AllI can tell you is that I don't know of ANY - not one single - system that has the Sirius (or XM) tuner WIRED in and doesn't sound better than FM. It does make me wonder whether they did everything right. I have heard some bad FM-modulated systems.
Old 02-08-06, 05:40 PM
MrMagoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: sirius

We are not using FM modulated units. My SAT is activated and viewed on the in dash display.
Music sounds just OK, slightly better than FM but nothing like a CD. Voice only stations have such poor bandwidth that at times they sound like a poorly ripped mp3. Occasionally some music channels exhibit the warbled poorly ripped mp3 effect.
Old 02-09-06, 04:22 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

I'm with Magoo on this one.

I have Sirius manufacturer installed on another car and this is my first time with SAT as well. The only way I can describe it is that the sound quality is like listening to streaming audio on the internet (which is basically what it is).

We've adjusted some settings to get better sound and that helps but typically the sound ain't great. I do like the selection, long distance listening and especially the talk stations on Sirius so I'm keeping it. I just don't expect much from the music quality and live with the tradeoffs.

Jay
Old 02-09-06, 11:50 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by DigMyM35x
I'm with Magoo on this one.

I have Sirius manufacturer installed on another car and this is my first time with SAT as well. The only way I can describe it is that the sound quality is like listening to streaming audio on the internet (which is basically what it is).

We've adjusted some settings to get better sound and that helps but typically the sound ain't great. I do like the selection, long distance listening and especially the talk stations on Sirius so I'm keeping it. I just don't expect much from the music quality and live with the tradeoffs.

Jay
yeah, i agree 100% w/ the internet streaming audio comment. i think the receiver or pre-wiring that lexus used for the sirius receiver (i don't know about XM though) was probably not very good or thought-out.