Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Custom Hidden Kill Switch = Steal-Proof?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-06, 09:28 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Custom Hidden Kill Switch = Steal-Proof?

Hey guys, would any of you guys consider making a hidden custom kill-switch that is linked to something critical like the fuel pump or some other critical electrical component? It would make a thief go nuts especially when he doesnt know whats wrong with the car
Old 02-09-06, 10:09 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

I remember a friend of mine had an 83 Celica with a kill switch coming from one of his spark plug wires and hid it behind the ash tray

Sounds like a cheap way for a starter kill

How about using an access code like The Transporter
Old 02-09-06, 10:13 PM
NisAznMonk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

friend of mine did it in his honda accord. He wired it up to the cruise control switch
Old 02-09-06, 10:15 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

I assume an cut in the line to something like a fuel pump or ignition relay would drive a thief crazy. A while back, a had an ignition relay blew and it took a skilled mechanic about 20-30 minutes in broad daylight to figure it out. So if it was a thief, he'll probably never get it going late at night while stressing out.
Old 02-09-06, 10:29 PM
Luv Da Lex
Lexus Test Driver

someone i know has it wired to the windshield wiper ****. you have to pull it and turn the ignition on the at same time. theres a few way u can do it too. u can wired it to 2 things at the same time. like let say ur cigarette lighter and a buttonon the dash. i think its a good idea.
Old 02-10-06, 12:50 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup alota honda people I know do it, cuz their cars get stolen quite often
Old 02-10-06, 09:03 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

if ur car was worth stealin....and i wanted to take it.. all i do is call a tow truck. nothing u can do to prevent it.
Old 02-12-06, 10:49 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kietlander
if ur car was worth stealin....and i wanted to take it.. all i do is call a tow truck. nothing u can do to prevent it.
Well,some cars trigger the alarm once the car is lifted or moved when lovked
Old 02-14-06, 12:34 AM
akdmks
Rookie

not sure if this is true or not but i remember watching the movie "twins" with arnold schwarzenegger and danny devito, but basically arnold was educated and claimed that most cars have sensors and when you lift it up at a certain angle it recognizes that it is being towed. even if it isnt true, you cant stop a car from being towed...
Old 02-22-06, 11:12 PM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

That is a good idea and I think I know the perfect location ar least for the first gen gs on the left side in the trunk next to the power antanna( sorry for the bad spelling ) there is this little box mounted next to it it is your fuel pump control unit, one day last year I damaged one of the wires on the harness that connects to it and when I tried to start the car it cranked but would not turn over, if you can hook up some relays and a cutoff switch voila no fuel no go and its location is so low key it would fool a pro no one would ever think to look in the trunk
Old 02-26-06, 11:21 PM
kratos
Pole Position

A $3 relay can do wonders to protect your car. I wired up a relay to my park lights in my crappy Tercel. The only thing is, you had to push the brakes, turn on the park lights, then you could start the car. If you know basic electronics, you can do just about anything.
Old 02-27-06, 07:31 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

guys PLEASE take it from me (from my line of work )if somebody wants your car bad enough they will take it there is nothing out there that is theft proof NOTHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-06, 08:07 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
guys PLEASE take it from me (from my line of work )if somebody wants your car bad enough they will take it there is nothing out there that is theft proof NOTHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!
With a tow truck yes. But there are ways you can rig your car so that it is almost impossible to start it up.
Old 02-27-06, 08:25 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
With a tow truck yes.
. EXACTLY !!!! MY POINT
Old 02-27-06, 10:23 PM
kratos
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
So how do we protect our cars from being towed? Should we all just lose our alarm systems and immobilisers? No.

The average Crack-head, low-life, ***-nugget, meth-head does not drive a tow truck. He carries a screwdriver, a hammer, a flashlight or lighter and a syringe hanging out of his arm. Protecting your car with an alarm or immobiliser WILL defend against 99% of the car thieves out there. 2-way paging and GPS tracking are also VERY useful as well. Reduce the risk and be intelligent about protecting your investment.

Quick Reply: Custom Hidden Kill Switch = Steal-Proof?