Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Help: sound issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-06 | 03:56 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

Default Help: sound issues

i had a 10" JLW3V2 installed with a JL enclosure.. with 280watt PPI amp.. i have navi so thats my headunit basically.... i had the install done at are reputable audio center. where i had my previous istall on my previous car done and it was great.. but now whenever i turn my car on and off .. the sub hits full strength for like 2-3 seconds then goes away then the music comes on if i'm turning the car on.. id ont get it.. i took it back and they said there was nothing they could do that it was cause of the navigation... anyone with help or knowledge please respond thanks
Old 02-12-06 | 05:03 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Ask them to obtain and install a solid-state relay on your amp's remote line, so that it is not turned on directly. If they are now using a mechanical relay, or none at all, that could be the cause of your problem.
Old 02-12-06 | 05:04 PM
silverone
Rookie

well i'm not sure if this is what is causing your problem, but i have encountered this in a few other cars. these are the two big causes i've found. the first is that if they are using a high/lo converter it could be adjusted too high and giving feedback to the amp. i've had this happen and had to re-adjust the converter until it went away. the other problem could be where they got the remote signal from. if it's not a true ignition wire it can cause that problem too. i hope this helps!!
Old 02-13-06 | 03:07 PM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Mine does something similiar. If I go from completely off to starting the car I don't get any popping from the system. If I go to On or ACC for however long and then go to Start to crank the engine, I get a loud pop from the speakers. It's starting to bother me cause it sure doesn't sound healthy for the speakers but the Eclipse manual mentioned something about the popping and said it's normal.
Old 02-13-06 | 03:26 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by jtgs400
Mine does something similiar. If I go from completely off to starting the car I don't get any popping from the system. If I go to On or ACC for however long and then go to Start to crank the engine, I get a loud pop from the speakers. It's starting to bother me cause it sure doesn't sound healthy for the speakers but the Eclipse manual mentioned something about the popping and said it's normal.
This is correct. If you don't turn the car all the way off, the remote line stays energized, and thus the amps/audio. When you start the car, there is a momentary blackout of power for accessories, then it comes back on. This screws up the normal timing of the amp remote, and eliminates any timing protection that it has when turned on cold, because some of the circuits turn off & on with different timing in that case.
The cure for this is to always turn the ignition switch completely to the OFF position prior to starting. This will turn off all remote turn-on leads, and amps will come on properly after the car is started. Takes a little while to get used to, but after a few bone-jarring pops, you'll remember.
Old 02-22-06 | 11:26 PM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

JL Audio makes a product called the Clean Sweep which is perfect for oem radios and aftermarket amps no more hilo converters or turn on thump it also has a built in amp turn on remote and line driver and equalization that calibrates your headunits freq response and the line driver beefs up the signal voltage for a cleaner signal, check JL AUDIO website www.jlaudio.com
Old 03-13-06 | 01:29 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by engin_ear
This is correct. If you don't turn the car all the way off, the remote line stays energized, and thus the amps/audio. When you start the car, there is a momentary blackout of power for accessories, then it comes back on. This screws up the normal timing of the amp remote, and eliminates any timing protection that it has when turned on cold, because some of the circuits turn off & on with different timing in that case.
The cure for this is to always turn the ignition switch completely to the OFF position prior to starting. This will turn off all remote turn-on leads, and amps will come on properly after the car is started. Takes a little while to get used to, but after a few bone-jarring pops, you'll remember.

Exactly what i was searching for. The pop made me jump the first time i heard it. Guess there is no fix huh?