Sponsored by:

ML replacement SUB for GS

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-06, 11:32 AM
Nolbi-Wan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ML replacement SUB for GS

I was just looking for some insight on an Image Dynamics subwoofer to replace my blown ML sub. heres the link http://www.cardomain.com/item/IDSID10V3D4 . Now my question is would this fit in my 02 GS? and what kind of power would i need to run this? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Im lookin to replace it soon. Also if anyone can recomend another affordable free air sub that might work that would be great too. thanks

Nolan
Old 02-16-06, 08:49 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Image Dynamics is a great sub. (I have one, heh heh...)
Also check out the Alumapro Alchemy free-air. www.alumapro.com
Old 02-17-06, 06:42 AM
Nolbi-Wan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by engin_ear
Image Dynamics is a great sub. (I have one, heh heh...)
Also check out the Alumapro Alchemy free-air. www.alumapro.com
Ive also read about the alumapro alchemy series and also the DLS Classic OA series. Of the 3 which would be a better choice. Im lookin for more bass than the ML sub but i dont want so much bass that it will drown out everything else. My co-worker has an old Rockford Fosgate Punch 250.1 amp from back in the day that he says is still good. Would that be enough power to run one of those subs? Thanks
Old 02-17-06, 07:47 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Go with the Alumapro. The RF amp will drive it OK.
Old 02-17-06, 08:44 PM
NisAznMonk
Driver

I'd give the DLS OA10 a try. They aren't too expensive and would be perfect for an IB setup.
Old 02-18-06, 10:31 AM
Nolbi-Wan
Pole Position

Go with the Alumapro. The RF amp will drive it OK.
i noticed that on their site they have the Alchemy MX series and also provide both Alchemy MX and MX Free Air PDF files. Is the Alchemy MX and Alchemy MX Free Air 2 totally different subs or can the MX be used as free air? The reason why i ask is because i can find a Alchemy MX sub no problem but i havent seen or been able to find a MX Free Air. If they are indeed 1 sub that can be used for either setup then i will probaly be ordering a MX sub. thanks for all the replies so far.
Old 02-18-06, 03:19 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Default Nothing comes for free, except air

Ah Padawan, subs cannot be used for same purpose. They would not make two subs if that were the case, the'd just make one. No company would want to inventory two separate subs that are really the same thing.
The parameters of the sub's suspension must be different for free-air use. Generally the suspension is stiffer to compensate for less resistance due to not having the smaller box of air to compress. I'll check out the specs....
Old 02-18-06, 03:31 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Yeah, I see your point, they look awfully similar. What I strongly recommend is that before you buy one, contact Alumapro directly (try calling their tech support, or email via the website) and ask them what the difference is. Make them tell you exactly what they do different when they build one versus the other.
Note that the MX notes specifically say 'Not recommended' for free-air use, AND, for the MX Free-Air, there is more of a power limit at 200W. This is so the woofer doesn't eat itself because of what I mentioned before, with no resistance in the form of the compression of the air in an enclosure, it is more free to flop around, unless specifically controlled/limited mechanically. This can make for some nasty overexcursions, distortion, heat, etc. if driven too hard.
Old 02-21-06, 09:51 AM
Nolbi-Wan
Pole Position

yea i spoke to a rep at alumapro and it looks like it is 2 different series of subs. He was kind of a A** so I think im just gonna order the ID10 v.3 d4 from image dynamics. Anyone currently using this in a free air setup. I know on sounddomain it says you can use it as free air but i just want to make sure befire i place my order. thanks
Old 02-21-06, 06:21 PM
bluerex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a IDQ2 12' in my wrx...and it kicks...but more so a clean bass rather than distortion that comes from the Rockford or the kicker solobaric.
Old 02-22-06, 08:22 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by Nolbi-Wan
yea i spoke to a rep at alumapro and it looks like it is 2 different series of subs. He was kind of a A** so I think im just gonna order the ID10 v.3 d4 from image dynamics. Anyone currently using this in a free air setup. I know on sounddomain it says you can use it as free air but i just want to make sure befire i place my order. thanks
You can call Matt at Image Dynamics. He'll be able to give you all the info you need.
Old 02-23-06, 07:59 AM
Nolbi-Wan
Pole Position

You can call Matt at Image Dynamics. He'll be able to give you all the info you need.

Well, i wasnt able to get a hold of Matt but was able to speak to someone else about free air setups and was advised to either go with the ID10 or ID10MAX. So i went to sounddomain because they are IDs only online retailer and put my order in for a ID10. Well turns out the item is back ordered. I called sounddomain and they said it will be 5-6 weeks..so that sucks...Guess ill try and find a alumapro FA. If not i guess i can wait for an ID. but anyways..jus wanted to thank those who replied with information.
Old 02-07-07, 12:13 AM
GS350AWD
Driver School Candidate

Hey Nolbi-Wan

How did you make out with your sub choice? I'm looking at replacing the ML sub myself and was looking at both of the subs you had considered.