Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Made a stupid electrical mistake

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-06 | 06:23 PM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Default Made a stupid electrical mistake

Just now I was trying to take out this add on cd changer I installed awhile back. The power to this was tapped into the power for the stereo. I didn't what the heck i was doing but instead of peeling back the electrical tape to cut each wire one at a time I decided to cut all three (power, constant, and ground) at once. I saw a little spark and knew instantly something went wrong.

I checked all the fuses and they seem to be fine. I plug my Eclipse AVN5435 (a $1400 unit) back in and it doesn't turn on. Well I didn't disconnect it competely, I left the plug for the power in so that I wouldn't lose all my settings. Now I'm worried that I may have fried my brand new deck too. So I disconnect the deck and bench tested and luckily it still works . Now I just need to find what the heck happened to the car. I also notice all interior lights are dead as well.

Anyone know where I should check? Maybe a particular fuse(s) that I overlooked? I checked the ones under the dash and in the engine by the battery.
Old 02-25-06 | 07:04 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Double check the fuses w/ a test light, sometimes the fuse appear to be fine when its actually blown.
I doubt that you fried the h/u, its probably either the inline fuse located behind the radio (radio's wire harness) or the main fuse behind the steering column or under the hood (not sure where it is for the GS).

I would check the fuse oe fuses first, since you wont have to remove the radio.

Also, was this "add on" changer connected to the AVN?
Was the power for the changer tapped into Eclipse's power supply, or was it separate from the radio all together?

Last edited by vin 78; 02-25-06 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-25-06 | 07:36 PM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vin 78
Double check the fuses w/ a test light, sometimes the fuse appear to be fine when its actually blown.
I doubt that you fried the h/u, its probably either the inline fuse located behind the radio (radio's wire harness) or the main fuse behind the steering column or under the hood (not sure where it is for the GS).

I would check the fuse oe fuses first, since you wont have to remove the radio.

Also, was this "add on" changer connected to the AVN?
Was the power for the changer tapped into Eclipse's power supply, or was it separate from the radio all together?

The Eclipse HU is still working, thank god. The HU and the changer was wired to the power and constant on the factory harness. So far what I noticed is: all interior lights on on overhead console are nonfunctional, alarm nonfunctional, and clock is blank. The lights on the doors still come on when the doors are open. Power doors, windows, and headlights are all ok. Car starts fine. I even unplugged + battery cable in hopes of resetting the problem but no such luck.
Old 02-25-06 | 08:21 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jtgs400
The Eclipse HU is still working, thank god. The HU and the changer was wired to the power and constant on the factory harness. So far what I noticed is: all interior lights on on overhead console are nonfunctional, alarm nonfunctional, and clock is blank. The lights on the doors still come on when the doors are open. Power doors, windows, and headlights are all ok. Car starts fine. I even unplugged + battery cable in hopes of resetting the problem but no such luck.

Its a blown fuse, check your owners manual for fuse locations.
Old 02-25-06 | 08:46 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 10,000

check the fuses in the kicker panel on the passenger side . the fuse should be there for the interior lights and the overhead..i have blown that fuse out before....
Old 02-25-06 | 09:04 PM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSoup
check the fuses in the kicker panel on the passenger side . the fuse should be there for the interior lights and the overhead..i have blown that fuse out before....

Whew! (wipes sweat off forehead). Looks like that was it. I totally overlooked the fuse panel on the passenger side. I was starting to freak out thinking of the $$$ I had to shell to the dealer if it wasn't a fuse problem. Thanks for both of your help.