Sponsored by:

Low-Pass Crossover w/ Aftermarket Headunit and Stock Sub 93 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-06, 09:49 AM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low-Pass Crossover w/ Aftermarket Headunit and Stock Sub 93 SC400

I'm actually in the process of writing a very thorough and detailed writeup on how to install an aftermarket stereo in an SC without replacing speakers. So far I got that part done. But as we all know, the stock sub is lost.

Anyone think this will work?

Low-Pass Crossover:
Tap Remote Amp Turn-On to SUB AMP 12V Wire in plug behind stereo
&
Tap the 2 wires from the crossover to the Sub+/- on the plug behind the stereo
&
Plug RCAs into my Headunit's Sub Output RCAs

If i can find a cheap low-pass crossover to test this out I will try it, but I figured I'd get some input first. Not sure if this would damage my headunit.
Old 02-28-06, 11:41 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well the only reason why you need a low pass converter is if your using the stock head unit and want to hook up aftermarket amp and subs. If your replacing the head unit you use the rca outputs from the stock headunit to the amp directly and dont need a low pass filter.
Old 02-28-06, 12:06 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

but can it be used with my stock amp and sub? in other words reversed of it's typical application, or is it directional.
Old 02-28-06, 01:09 PM
jdmdaddy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
well the only reason why you need a low pass converter is if your using the stock head unit and want to hook up aftermarket amp and subs. If your replacing the head unit you use the rca outputs from the stock headunit to the amp directly and dont need a low pass filter.
I have a feeling this is going to be the setup I'm gonna go with. Does anyone have any details or write-up on doing this setup in a 1st gen GS? I don't want to lose the cleanliness of the stock radio and don't need too much beat. I have an decent amp and decent subs that I plan on using. I have a non-Nak radio as well.

Obviously, you need to have the "low pass converter" for this setup. Where would you buy one? Let me know if anyone has ideas.....
jtucci, I'm not stealing your post I swear!

-craig
Old 02-28-06, 01:39 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jtucci
but can it be used with my stock amp and sub? in other words reversed of it's typical application, or is it directional.
depends I think your stock amp is getting some type of signal from the stock head unit. I think the signal might be a full pass signal which is then split up inside the amp some going for your mids and highs and lows going for your sub. If you there is indeed a low signal going into your amp for the sub then yes you could in theory cut that and insert a low pass there but basically its pointless, you wont get a big increase in performance or anything.

Also you can buy a low pass anywhere, bestbuy circuit city ect... I changed out my stock sub and went this route. I got a buncha pictures and stuff in the sc430 forum do a search for it. one of the titles are "the sound of success" I believe
Old 02-28-06, 05:00 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

well the issue is at the moment i have NO sound from the sub, so ANY sound would be improvement. I bought a sub/amp combo from a member on the boards so I'm figuring it would fit, but if the lowpass xover works, it will at least satisfy my needs before i take a day long project to custom mount a sub.

i think it may work because the stock sub amp receives a + and - signal from the headunit, so i just need to tap these 2 lines coming from the front of the car and insert the RCAs to my aftermarket unit's SUB OUTPUT and I THINK it will work. then i just need to tap the 12v to the amp. i will let everyone know the progress, hopefully the xover is bi-directional.
Old 03-01-06, 06:18 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Ahh ok I got your problem. Your not getting any sound from your sub so you bought a new sub and amp to replace it with. This is what you do.

Buy a low lin converter with gain control. I got mine from circuit city works well. Make sure it has the gain control you are probally going to need this. I would set the gain to about 75% to max on the low line converter. The converter is going to have two + wires and two - wires, this is meant for right and left channel. Since its a sub you dont need both so you just twist those wires together. After that you tap these into one of the speakers in the rear that do work. I am assuming you have 2 speakers in the back as well as the sub. Since the sub isnt working you cant really assume the wires going to the sub are getting a signal. Tapping one of the rear speakers will be fine since the low line converter will just take the low frequency's. Now you run a RCA from this low line converter to your amp INPUT and for the 12v you dont have to tap your stock amp power wire you can tap any 12v wire that turns on with the car. Personally I mounted my amp under my seat and with a voltameter found a wire that turns on the power seats. There are tons of accessory wires everywhere. just unplug something and use the voltemeter while a friend turns on and off the car.

Good luck
Old 03-01-06, 07:32 AM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

ahh, i think i'm getting everyone confused.

at the moment i have all my stock speakers and stock sub/amp in the car with only an aftermarket headunit. i was trying to figure out a way to still use the stock sub/amp. i got my headunit to power all the speakers but not the sub/amp yet.

all i basically need is to get the two signals to the amp for the sub. i think having the signals go thru the RCAs and out the wires on the crossover, and tapping those into the 2 signals going back to the amp, this will work. if the amp doesn't turn on i just need to tap a 12v source to get it to turn on. this will work if the crossover is bi-directional, but my main question was, IS IT?

i dont know if this makes things any clearer. lol.
Old 03-01-06, 07:54 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

well if you have an aftermarket head unit just throw away the stock sub and amp and replace them.

And it doesnt work backwards with the cross over dont waste your time. just get another amp and run the RCA from the head unit to the amp
Old 03-01-06, 04:43 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

ah ok, it's just more work getting a sub in there. thanks though, my question was answered in a really roundabout way.