Sponsored by:

Ported Or Sealed

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-06, 07:09 AM
biglexass
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ported Or Sealed

Right Now I Have Four 10s In My Ls400,and Iam Upgradeing To 4 12s I Was Going To Go With 6 But I Think I Will Be Happy With The 4.what Type Of Box Should I Get A Ported Or Sealed.
Old 03-04-06, 11:52 AM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to consider sealed because w/ 4 12's a ported box will probably take up the entire trunk.

Sealed sounds a lot better imo.

But go for ported if you're into spl.

Last edited by vin 78; 03-05-06 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-05-06, 01:20 PM
kratos
Pole Position

If you want to compete in SPL, knock it down to two 12's and build a good sized ported box to spec. You will probably get more output than 4 12's in a sealed box.
Old 03-05-06, 08:24 PM
biglexass
Lead Lap

i dont really care about spl.i just want it to be loud.i noticed ported makes it hit deep and low.and sealed boxs make it louder and more of a pop then a low boom.what is your ipotions
Old 03-05-06, 09:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

ported box are generally louder around its tuning frequency. As far as low end and top end extention, a sealed box has the ported box beat. This is assuming the box is not too big or too small.
Old 03-05-06, 09:42 PM
kratos
Pole Position

Originally Posted by biglexass
i dont really care about spl.i just want it to be loud.i noticed ported makes it hit deep and low.and sealed boxs make it louder and more of a pop then a low boom.what is your ipotions
SPL = Loud
Old 03-06-06, 03:48 AM
Mr. Jib
Driver School Candidate

Ported vs. sealed can sometimes be dependent on the particular subs. I have 2 Diamond 12's and ran them in a sealed enclosure for about 3 years until i found worksheets for tuned ported enclosures on the Diamond Audio webpage. The enclosures had a port tuned to 32 hz and upon completion and installation I would never go back to sealed, at least not with those subs. Your sealed enclosure will have a tighter punch andmay have tendencies to make the amp "work harder" to power the drivers, where ported generally have a more drawn out boom and not be as punchy, however dependent on the type of port the enclosure has, the bass won't necessarily be drawn out. I would see what the company who makes your driver recommends.
Old 03-08-06, 03:47 PM
NisAznMonk
Driver

Originally Posted by biglexass
Right Now I Have Four 10s In My Ls400,and Iam Upgradeing To 4 12s I Was Going To Go With 6 But I Think I Will Be Happy With The 4.what Type Of Box Should I Get A Ported Or Sealed.
What subs do you have currently? Depending on the subs you might be able to get louder with LESS equipment and a better built enclosure.

GSteg: damn you are everywhere
Old 03-10-06, 08:31 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by NisAznMonk
GSteg: damn you are everywhere

Sometimes I try to register for a new forum and the computer says I already registered I was like "whaa..when did i register for the hyundai forum"
Old 03-11-06, 01:40 AM
natesiy
Rookie

Sealed boxes suck.

Ported you gain effeciency on the sub system. It WILL play louder with any given power than a sealed box.

Get some good subwoofers, like Digital Designs, and you will get the sonic accuracy of a sealed box (due to their super tight suspension and hand built quality) but with the effeciency of a ported enclosure (Digital Designs drivers are all designed for ported boxes) They have VERY high power handling as well, so you're gonna get insane results with DDs.

Some of the loudest competitors use Digital Designs.

Good equipment will net you better results than trying to stuff in as many subs as you can.

10" Digital Designs 9900 Series. 3000W Musical power handling, 6000W peak power handling
Old 03-11-06, 09:49 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by natesiy
Sealed boxes suck.

Ported you gain effeciency on the sub system. It WILL play louder with any given power than a sealed box.

Get some good subwoofers, like Digital Designs, and you will get the sonic accuracy of a sealed box (due to their super tight suspension and hand built quality) but with the effeciency of a ported enclosure (Digital Designs drivers are all designed for ported boxes) They have VERY high power handling as well, so you're gonna get insane results with DDs.

Some of the loudest competitors use Digital Designs.

Good equipment will net you better results than trying to stuff in as many subs as you can.

10" Digital Designs 9900 Series. 3000W Musical power handling, 6000W peak power handling
Touche my friend! Touche!
Old 03-11-06, 10:18 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

4 12"s??? There is NO QUESTION that you want a PORTED BOX. You're looking for loud, not quality. You don't need sealed, it will dampen the loudness. You may even want to section off the 4 woofs and port each section separately to prevent too much interaction between them.

6 12"s?????? BTW, before you decide on ported vs. sealed, you may want to get a price on some new ears. I hope you're only usng this for SPL shows and not driving that way. This is fine if you're doing SPL competitions with ear protection, or you're outside of the car. You only get one set of ears, and once you get over 2 or 3 woofers you're in the very high risk category. Watch out. You won't hear your ears going by the way, as they're on their way out the door.
What, don't believe me??? BS, you say?? I am co-developer of the world's first disposable hearing aid. Believe it. I get very concerned when I see these set-ups. Don't go so crazy that you lose your hearing. It's not worth it.
Old 03-11-06, 10:21 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Ported no question
Old 08-13-06, 07:00 PM
biglexass
Lead Lap

old fourm but,i have decied.i have all my amps and batts and subs.i have for 15s and two 1500 watt rms amps.there prob going in sealed...because if i go ported each sub requires 4.5 cubic feet of air space.and my trunk is not that big.so i guess were going with sealed.thanks for all your input