Print Wikipost

Sirius/XM Install Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-09, 06:36 PM
PMB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 GS350 XM Radio

Is there a solution to the bad sound quality? Can it be fixed? Can something be rewired using the factory touch screen head unit?
Old 06-30-09, 09:34 PM
10swthr
Driver School Candidate

Had sirius installed in my 2009 RX350 at the dealer. I lose the signal under most overpasses. I realize that the overpass blocks the direct signal but this rarely happens with the starmate4 that I installed in my Avalon.

The RX antennae is mounted on the roof at the rear of the vehicle.

Any suggestions. The dealer said that is to be expected of satellite radio. It seems unacceptable that a $99 radio works better than one professionally installed for way too much money.

Help
Old 07-01-09, 03:15 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 10swthr
Had sirius installed in my 2009 RX350 at the dealer. I lose the signal under most overpasses. I realize that the overpass blocks the direct signal but this rarely happens with the starmate4 that I installed in my Avalon.

The RX antennae is mounted on the roof at the rear of the vehicle.

Any suggestions. The dealer said that is to be expected of satellite radio. It seems unacceptable that a $99 radio works better than one professionally installed for way too much money.

Help
I have the same problem with my $3K aftermarket Eclipse system in my GS. The difference is that your $99. Starmate4 has a Generation 3 (Gen3) Sirius receiver chipset, while the receiver unit the dealer installed has the pervious Gen2 chipset. The Gen2 chipset does not recover from signal losses anywhere near as well as the newer Gen3. The only way around this is to try to install a newer Sirius receiver unit in place of the Lexus-installed one (just the receiver box itself). These do exist, but may require some extra adaptation to properly install it. I've been away from the picky details too long now, but a good custom shop that installs Sirius should be able to help you.
Old 07-01-09, 03:18 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

PS: It's NOT a general satellite radio thing. The Gen3 chipset is almost flawless, as you can see from your Starmate4. Your roof antenna mount is also fine.
Old 07-16-09, 05:23 AM
freedaddy5
Driver School Candidate

HI I have 06 ls430 can i use a shark fin and will it get good reception for my radio and nav?
Old 07-17-09, 11:13 PM
marc5629
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, newbie question here. Just purchased an IS350 (pick it up tomorrow) - and they say the car is satellite ready. I'm assuming I still need to install a tuner and antenna. Is this true?

Should I let the dealership install this if its an option and how much is too much to pay for this? Thanks anyone for advice.
Old 03-24-10, 06:23 AM
Driver2
Driver School Candidate

Default Best of Sirius Channels

I just had my Lexus dealership install XM Sirius radio. I bought the "Best of Sirius" package, so I could get all channels. I activated it and I get all the channels, except "Best of Sirius", i.e. 124, 128, etc.

I've called Lexus and XM (had signals sent, account closed/restarted) about 25 times. Channels are still not there. Lexus said they don't know what to do.

Any help?
Old 03-24-10, 10:12 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by Driver2
I just had my Lexus dealership install XM Sirius radio. I bought the "Best of Sirius" package, so I could get all channels. I activated it and I get all the channels, except "Best of Sirius", i.e. 124, 128, etc.

I've called Lexus and XM (had signals sent, account closed/restarted) about 25 times. Channels are still not there. Lexus said they don't know what to do.

Any help?
You may have a bad receiver. Have Lexus swap out the SiriusXM receiver (not the in-dash unit, but the thingy that connects to the SiriusXM antenna that they installed.) Then repeat the process with SiriusXM. SiriusXM has done this thousands of times with activations, so the problem is not likely theirs. If, after doing all this, you still cannot get it to work, PM me. (I am a former Sirius engineering manager, up until the merger with XM.)

Jerry
Old 04-26-10, 05:50 AM
Trumpanche
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question 2006 IS Satellite Radio - Antenna Already Installed from Factory?

Originally Posted by marc5629
Sorry, newbie question here. Just purchased an IS350 (pick it up tomorrow) - and they say the car is satellite ready. I'm assuming I still need to install a tuner and antenna. Is this true?

Should I let the dealership install this if its an option and how much is too much to pay for this? Thanks anyone for advice.
I have the same question; I understand that '07 models have the sharkfin with the satellite antenna all ready to go; is the story similar for the '06 models without the shark fin? Is there a connector I can adapt to rather than adding a new antenna?

Thanks!
Old 05-21-10, 12:03 PM
tfelsky
Driver

Can anyone help me retrofit a SIRIUS received onto a 2010 HS 250 which already has XM radio?
Old 06-22-10, 01:07 PM
davidyal
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to install Sirius unit on RX300?

After years of simply leaving my Sirius radion lying on the passenger seat, I want to install it nice and neat. I tried searching but don't see any photos for the RX300. Can someone suggest where to put the antenna- in the back near the trunk? in the front between wipers? or simply in the corner of the dash behind the speaker? Ultimately, I'd like the unit to live in the glovebox or center console.

After I get the antenna placed, I'll start deciphering how to create an aux-in.
Old 07-06-10, 01:35 AM
Serggus
Driver School Candidate

Arrow

Originally Posted by engin_ear
SIGNAL QUALITY:
I have been seeing many issues with sound quality of satellite radio in vehicles, and people's associated complaints. Some come from the fact that sat radio was installed by a dealer or electronics shop, while others come from the fact that most satellite radios these days are equipped with internal FM modulators so that initial installation is quick and easy, requires no car disassembly, and needs the fewest wires. Unfortunately, just like most other things, this is in the 'can't get something for nothing' category, and will put you squarely in sound quality hell.

For those of you that are unable, for whatever reason, or otherwise unwilling, to do a direct-wired satellite radio install (using RCAs and some combination of aux input/adapter or harness), I offer the following advice:

There has been some debate over whether the sound quality of FM modulator is better than cassette aux input adapter. After living with both for a while, the answer is unequivocally NO. The cassette adapter sounds much better than both the wired FM modulator and wireless modulation into unused FM frequency, no question.
The wireless version of FM modulation, where your receiver is basically doing a local broadcast into your car radio, is pretty pathetic. I've heard the stories, but after trying it recently in both an RX300 and a 4Runner with factory radios and windshield antennas, it's obvious that it is horrendous. Vocal quality is poor, music sounds horrible and undefined, loads of interference, etc. It actually sounds quite a bit worse than other regularly broadcast FM stations on the rest of the dial, and I didn't think this was possible until I did these experiments.
I recommend the cassette solution to anyone that is currently using this method and actually has a cassette player in the headunit. It isn't the best either, but it is a LOT closer to the direct wired solution than the FM is. It is not subject to the same kinds of interference, so it is relatively quiet and less distorted. These days, the frequency response of a cassette deck tape head & electronics is not too bad. Try to use a good quality cassette adapter though, like Sony or Maxell. (Yeah, I know, I hate the wire coming out of the cassette deck, but.....)

Preference should be as follows, in sound quality order:
Best!!!: Direct-Wired audio input (RCA) - no modulation
Better!: Cassette-wired aux input adapter
OK: Wired FM modulator, direct into antenna line
Sucks: Wireless FM modulator, transmission thru air

Having said that, if you happen to already be using the wireless FM modulator, are having few or no problems, enjoy what you are listening to, and aren't willing to do any additional wiring, then by all means stick with it. Can also be OK if you listen to mostly talk radio.

The other thing that happens when only using the wireless FM modulator is that as you drive away from or into metro areas, a stronger station that appears on the previously-unused radio frequency that you were using will take over the airwaves, Sat radio will go away, and you'll then hear the new, usually unwanted (i.e. country ) station.

RECEPTION QUALITY:
I have been hearing many (too many!) complaints about the Lexus dealer-installed Sirius systems. Most, if not all, are regarding the reception quality and muting. Here's the primary story:

When you go to a Lexus dealer to have Sirius installed, they will install a custom kit for Lexus vehicles in your car. This kit includes a triangular antenna that was made specifically for Lexus/Toyota, and it fits up next to your rear-view mirror, at the top of the windshield glass, on the INSIDE of your car. This antenna is not mounted in an optimum location to receive both satellites at all times, as a roof-mounted antenna can do. Due to the inherent geometry involved, the roof tends to block one or both signals at many angles and at many times of the day. This usually causes poor performance and more-than-average muting.
The solution to this problem is to have the installer use a roof-mounted antenna instead of the inside, windshield mount one. If it has already been installed, you can disconnect the existing triangular antenna from the receiver unit, then install a roof-mount one and plug it right in.
The roof-mount antenna is available at any Sirius dealer, including Best Buy & Circuit City, or on the Sirius website, www.sirius.com, or on ebay. Price is about $30 to 40. The "dot" antenna works especially well.
That addresses the antenna problems with standard dealer installs. If your dealer, not being an electronics aficionado, also screws up the wire runs, grounding, or other parts of the install, that can also cause noise or other problems. Best thing to do is take it back, have them go over it again, or better yet, have an experienced installer check their work.

Jerry
You can use a DICE device which has a direct plug for Sirrus Radio - All digital too... more here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...tly-to-ml.html
Old 07-12-11, 12:56 PM
mykidsdad
Driver School Candidate

Need some information about installing an xm radio.

I purchased a 2005 Lexus ES330 with the basic radio/in-dash 6 disc changer.
I have the button that says AM/SAT on it.

What I need to know is the model of receiver I need for this radio and then if you can any help in wiring it. My understanding is that it is mounted and connected in the trunk at the amplifier and then wiring is ran to the front (head unit) for control of the module at the head unit. Do I need a receiver and a module for XM to work on the factory head unit or is it integrated?

Thanks for any help you can give. This is pretty much all I am going to do as the car is perfect stock.
Old 09-04-11, 09:38 AM
Cixelsyd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mykidsdad
Need some information about installing an xm radio.

I purchased a 2005 Lexus ES330 with the basic radio/in-dash 6 disc changer.
I have the button that says AM/SAT on it.

What I need to know is the model of receiver I need for this radio and then if you can any help in wiring it. My understanding is that it is mounted and connected in the trunk at the amplifier and then wiring is ran to the front (head unit) for control of the module at the head unit. Do I need a receiver and a module for XM to work on the factory head unit or is it integrated?

Thanks for any help you can give. This is pretty much all I am going to do as the car is perfect stock.
I'm also interested in this question. I've seen a number of "kits" out there for both XM and Sirius and I'm confused at this point. Some of the aftermarket kits also have antennas with them. Isn't that what the shak fin is for? Can anyone tell me specifically what parts I'll need to do the trunk install and use the shark fin antenna? I've got a 2009 IS250 w/o nav. Thanks!
Old 09-17-11, 03:42 PM
mykidsdad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cixelsyd
I'm also interested in this question. I've seen a number of "kits" out there for both XM and Sirius and I'm confused at this point. Some of the aftermarket kits also have antennas with them. Isn't that what the shak fin is for? Can anyone tell me specifically what parts I'll need to do the trunk install and use the shark fin antenna? I've got a 2009 IS250 w/o nav. Thanks!
I spoke to my mechanic at the Lexus dealer about his. He said his recommendation is Vaistech (think that is spelled right). It is direct wired into the car and you use the existing radio to control the XM. He said the Shark Fin isn't used on my model and that he mounts the antenna inside the car at either the windshield (under the inspection sticker) or in the rear window, whichever I would prefer.

Quick Reply: Sirius/XM Install Advice