Sponsored by:

SC400 Stock System Upgrade??

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-06, 08:36 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Question SC400 Stock System Upgrade??

The wheel and tire thread helped me a great deal! I posted this in a thread on electronics. I was hoping to find some SC owners to help??

Originally Posted by marcmindte
I’ve asked this before, but does anyone have a step by step DIY with pictures for making a baffle board "adapter" so you can put a 10in sub in an 8in hole. Ive read a few post on how to do it, but would sure like to see some pictures.
I am wondering the same thing... I have tried to find information about the stock system and have found some great information. I understand that the stock system is special in so many ways!! :-)

1) The stock system in my 92 SC400 has two amps pushing my speakers. Can I replace the Naks and install 4" Boston Acoustics 2-way speakers and retain clarity and quality....and benefit from the stock amp? Is there an aftermarket sub that I can use to replace the stock one and leave all wiring as is? Would an aftermarket free-air sub as good as the stock one new? If not then Better or Worse?

2) My stock 12-disk changer just sucks...I understand it was built a long time ago. Is there any step-by-step documentation on swapping out the head unit...surely you would need to bypass the amps right? Sounds like a wiring nightmare to me!

3) Just curious if the best thing to do is replace all speakers, replace head unit, and rewire the stereo system completely.....(Includeing Amps, replace the two with a 5-channel amp, Sub 8 or 10?

I would like to have some input from you guys...I just bought my SC about a month ago.

I hate to ask so many questions at once, but I do understand how big of a pain in the a$$ this could be.....Just looking 4 some good detailed advice. I also know that allot of this information has been discussed, but the search tool has given me some bizarre search results sometimes. I can find the how to's on the sub upgrade and speaker replacements. Just need some advice do make the most financial, and labor efficient decisions that I can. Thanks!!
Old 03-10-06, 08:43 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

I just read this awesome DYI someone did on the removal and In's and out's of our stereos.

It was in the audio section.....but i cant find it, to copy the link.....cause I'm a mongoloid tonight!!!
Old 03-10-06, 08:45 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=109384

Found it.......it was a sticky too!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 03-10-06, 08:55 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by neuro4you@
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=109384

Found it.......it was a sticky too!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhh
Yes, I have read through this thread, but I didn'y understand if he had the stock head unit? Did he leave the stock amps to push these speakers?

I found this thread and the one with the 10" JL Audio free air upgrade and amp install thread. It was in great detal in how-to, but didn't understand if he still used the stock head unit or what?

Thank you for linking the speaker Install link. I know I will be revisiting that thread more than a few times!
Old 03-10-06, 10:32 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

the nak system only has one amp. its under the cd changer.

i would replace the speakers and amps, sub and head unit.

im replacing everything with 6.5s all the way around. i will have 2 amps one for the speakers one for the subs. and getting the new kenwood 6019.

headunit wiring is easy, u only need to run the ground, remote, ignition, and 12v. the rest will be RCAs to the back. from there u connect RCAs to the amps and you can use existing wires from the stock amp for the new speakers.
Old 03-10-06, 10:53 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kietlander
im replacing everything with 6.5s all the way around. .
Is that the speaker size in the posted thread? I was thinking 5 1/4 was going to be a job considering the stock speaker is 4", much less a 6 1/2...

i would prefer the mid voice of a 6 1/2...by far.
Old 03-10-06, 10:56 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

Default 1 amp?

Question again....if there is only one amp, is it pushing all the speakers including the sub?
Old 03-10-06, 11:20 PM
kietlander
Racer

Originally Posted by jefthim
Question again....if there is only one amp, is it pushing all the speakers including the sub?
yes a 5 channel amp. 4 speakers and a sub. you can buy a new 5 channel amp to do the same thing. it wont fit in the stock location.
Old 03-10-06, 11:24 PM
kietlander
Racer

o yeah to answer your question about a new free air sub, it will sound better then the stock. just make sure you buy a real free air sub. i have said this b4 and i will say it again. if you are looking for a free air sub check out the marine subs out there. clarion, kenwood, mb quarts i believe fit. JL, fosgate, and memphis dont. imagedynamics have the ID10 which works wonders ( my personal fav.).