Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Has anyone considered updating their 2nd Gen GS to have a push button start.........?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-06 | 07:51 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Default Has anyone considered updating their 2nd Gen GS to have a push button start.........?

Has anyone considered updating their 2nd Gen GS to have a push button start/keyless door entry from a 3rd Gen GS?

Outlandish concept, but is this even doable? I especially like the door handles on a 2nd gen IS (I haven't seen a 3rd Gen GS really closely) and I was wondering if I can replace the door handles on my 2nd Gen GS with the door handles from a 2nd gen IS, incorporating the push button start on the dash and covering up the existing keyhole in the steering column.

Cost would be prohibitive no doubt as some custom work would be involved, but is it even possible?
Old 03-15-06 | 08:00 AM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Not familiar with the GS, but it should be possible with the right know how.

Basically, the push start is easy. The smart key is harder. If your good with electronics you can do it.

Sorry I don't have much more to contribute. Getr a schematic for the system and Im sure I can help you figure it out.

P
Old 03-15-06 | 11:37 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

PM me if you get this working Hameed.
Old 03-16-06 | 06:47 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
Has anyone considered updating their 2nd Gen GS to have a push button start/keyless door entry from a 3rd Gen GS?

Outlandish concept, but is this even doable? I especially like the door handles on a 2nd gen IS (I haven't seen a 3rd Gen GS really closely) and I was wondering if I can replace the door handles on my 2nd Gen GS with the door handles from a 2nd gen IS, incorporating the push button start on the dash and covering up the existing keyhole in the steering column.

Cost would be prohibitive no doubt as some custom work would be involved, but is it even possible?

its easy to do, they sell those kits all the time. Look up ignited they sell better quality kits. still gonna need your key for the chip though
Old 03-16-06 | 06:56 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
its easy to do, they sell those kits all the time. Look up ignited they sell better quality kits. still gonna need your key for the chip though
I am talking about a complete replacement of the existing key and hole system. Not just adding a push button to the existing system which is what the Ignited kit is.

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts....categoryID=194
Ignited Push Button Starter
Add Race-Inspired Attitude With Our Push Button Starter Kits
In the racing world, high performance cars start their engines with a race button. Now, get the true feel of high performance with an Ignited Push Button Starter Kit. Just turn your key to the "on" position (to illuminate Ignited) and hit the button to start your car.

The push button system installs directly into the cigarette lighter hole so no drilling is required. The switch is then wired into your ignition system. Professional installation is recommended. Ignited comes in five colors : Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, and Clear plus every kit comes equipped with a 2 year warranty.
Old 03-16-06 | 09:37 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

like I said its easy you just need to know how to wire it up. However your going to have to keep a chip in the car for that, and anyone can jump in your car and start it up which is a big no no
Old 03-16-06 | 09:42 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

like I said its easy you just need to know how to wire it up. However your going to have to keep a chip in the car for that, and anyone can jump in your car and start it up which is a big no no
That is why I am more interested in a complete retrofit of the newer systems on the IS and GS that detect the presence of the remote before they let you start the car.
Old 03-16-06 | 09:42 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Old 03-16-06 | 10:56 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

I dont think its that big of a deal to leave a spare key in the ignition. Just make sure to lock the car with the key on the keychain. hmm I just might do this mod.

Edit: I take it back, it installs into the cigarette lighter and you have to turn the key for the pushbutton to work. Thats pretty gay.
Old 03-16-06 | 11:12 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by Lexbox
I take it back, it installs into the cigarette lighter and you have to turn the key for the pushbutton to work. Thats pretty gay.
Exactly why I said this is just adding to the existing system and not a complete retrofit. Very gay indeed.. It defeats the whole purpose of a keyless push button start.......
Old 03-16-06 | 11:45 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

# 1 they made it fit for the cigerette lighter but no you dont have to put it there. Obviously you can custom on your dash with a quick hole cutter.

#2 their kit is designed so you put the key in the ignition, but like I said before its all a wiring thing you can get around that easily. Its alot like hooking up a remote start for a car. Same exact concept. Thats why I said your going to have to leave a key in the the car. Not neccisarily in the ignition but hidden in the dash somewhere. And anyone can come by and hit your start button and it will turn on.
Old 03-16-06 | 12:27 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

# 1 they made it fit for the cigerette lighter but no you dont have to put it there. Obviously you can custom on your dash with a quick hole cutter.

#2 their kit is designed so you put the key in the ignition, but like I said before its all a wiring thing you can get around that easily. Its alot like hooking up a remote start for a car. Same exact concept. Thats why I said your going to have to leave a key in the the car. Not neccisarily in the ignition but hidden in the dash somewhere. And anyone can come by and hit your start button and it will turn on.

As long as you have an aftermarket alarm installed with engine kill , then the start button can be disabled whenever the alarm is on and the doors are also locked at that point.

As far as the key chip, you just need to remove the chip from the key and tie wrap it around the base of the key hole. You have enough room underneath the dash panel to do this.

The chip will not allow the ignition to start unless it is right up against the ignition module. Placing a key behind the dash anywhere else is not going to do it. It's not close enough.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-16-06 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-16-06 | 02:00 PM
kietlander
Racer

good info. there you go .... smart key and push-button start with out spending more money on a new car. i wouldnt mind doing that to my car. and hey if you want to go even a step further... get magic touch door kit. it opens ur door when you touch a certain part of the door.
Old 03-16-06 | 04:12 PM
noop
Instructor

I have seen this done, I actually seen it at a car audio shop done to a jaguar.. the owner wouldnt tell me where he got it done or how much it costs didnt want anyone jocking him is what he said
Old 03-16-06 | 05:08 PM
kietlander
Racer

well i wouldnt wanna joke anyone driving a jag...lol

well now you know how you could do it...

Quick Reply: Has anyone considered updating their 2nd Gen GS to have a push button start.........?