Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Which components/speakers are better?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-06, 07:14 PM
BklynGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which components/speakers are better?

Currently I have a JL 12W7 in my GS with stock everything else, and I need some speakers to match the W7 a little better.
After a lot of searching on this forum I know what brands are good, but model numbers are not specified. I don't know much about components or speakers so i just don't want to buy something that will not sound good in my GS or something that is a downgrade from stock.
My price range for components is $200-$300 , and for coaxial speakers up to $200.
I've read that 6.5'' should fit no problem, so i was thinking about getting that size.
Anyway.... i came up with these combinations, but I don't know which is better, if these are even good combinations, should i mix them up, or if there is anything else i should consider.... if any one knows about these or others please give your opinion on what i should buy

COMPONENTS................with................COAXIAL SPEAKERS
1)Polk Audio MMC 6500..................................Polk Momo MMC 650
2)Infinity Kappa 60.7cs....................................Infinity Kappa 62.7i
3)Infinity Perfect 6.1..........................................Infinity Kappa 62.7i
4)Boston Acoustics SL60...............................Boston Acoustics SX65
5)Diamond Audio D661A................................Diamond Audio D361I

Also, what is a good amp to power up whatever combination you recommend

Last edited by BklynGS; 03-15-06 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-15-06, 08:16 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would jump on the perfects and power it with a 100w x 2 amp, and buy the kappa's for the rears powered by the head unit.

You could actually get the diamond hex series for around 200-250 on ebay. That would be my first choice if I was to buy off of ebay.
Old 03-15-06, 09:02 PM
BklynGS
Driver

Originally Posted by vin 78
I would jump on the perfects and power it with a 100w x 2 amp, and buy the kappa's for the rears powered by the head unit.

You could actually get the diamond hex series for around 200-250 on ebay. That would be my first choice if I was to buy off of ebay.
Whats the difference between aluminum and silk tweeters?..... the hex series comes in either one, and what would i get for the rears with these for the front?
Old 03-15-06, 09:16 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BklynGS
Whats the difference between aluminum and silk tweeters?..... the hex series comes in either one, and what would i get for the rears with these for the front?
The metal tweeters tend to be a bit more harsh and fabric versions are more natural. My personal preference is would be the silk tweeter.
For the rears, If you must go with a 2-way, just go with the diamond audio D3 co-ax.
Old 03-15-06, 10:12 PM
BklynGS
Driver

How about this setup.....diamond audio Hex s600s for the fronts(150W rms), and diamond audio d661i full range speakers for the rears(100W rms) powered by a 4 channel amp. I want to make sure that if anyone is sitting in the back they can hear the full range speakers too, not just alot of bass from the trunk. Or is this too much? should i just go with the 5.25" version?
Old 03-15-06, 11:31 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Dont forget about Crystal Audio. Ive always liked BA's too.
Old 03-16-06, 08:48 AM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

How about this setup.....diamond audio Hex s600s for the fronts(150W rms), and diamond audio d661i full range speakers for the rears(100W rms) powered by a 4 channel amp. I want to make sure that if anyone is sitting in the back they can hear the full range speakers too, not just alot of bass from the trunk. Or is this too much? should i just go with the 5.25" version?
That should work fine, just be sure to feed them lots of power, especially the fronts.
Old 03-16-06, 05:48 PM
BklynGS
Driver

Just bought the Eclipse AVN5435 today, and I was getting really good deals on diamond audio at the store too. I think I'm gonna go with diamond audio d661s for the front and d661i for rears. These match up really well together i think (both 100W rms), and there's no way i'm gonna use all the power of the hex speakers anyway (that requires a huge 4 channel amp).

So just one more question.... whats a good 4 channel amp to power these, i was looking at the JL audio 4 channel, diamond d6600.4, Soundstream, phoenix gold, or any others? which is best?
i can get the best deals on soundstream..... are those good?

Last edited by BklynGS; 03-16-06 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-16-06, 07:19 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

Alot off good brand have already been listed...if I had to recommend some components/seperates. I'd go with Seas by Lotus or some Focals
Old 03-16-06, 09:26 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Just bought the Eclipse AVN5435 today, and I was getting really good deals on diamond audio at the store too. I think I'm gonna go with diamond audio d661s for the front and d661i for rears. These match up really well together i think (both 100W rms), and there's no way i'm gonna use all the power of the hex speakers anyway (that requires a huge 4 channel amp).

So just one more question.... whats a good 4 channel amp to power these, i was looking at the JL audio 4 channel, diamond d6600.4, Soundstream, phoenix gold, or any others? which is best?
i can get the best deals on soundstream..... are those good?
Look for an amp with a power rating of 100rms x 4.

Check out PG's Xenon 100.4, great amp.

Last edited by vin 78; 03-20-06 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-17-06, 09:16 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Don't forget that you will need custom baffle boards made to mount the speakers onto the doors. If you dont want to make your own you can order premade ones here, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...spagenameZWDVW. The seller is a member on here and goes by LexTPOP. Excellent guy .
Old 03-17-06, 05:16 PM
BklynGS
Driver

Originally Posted by jtgs400
Don't forget that you will need custom baffle boards made to mount the speakers onto the doors. If you dont want to make your own you can order premade ones here, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...spagenameZWDVW. The seller is a member on here and goes by LexTPOP. Excellent guy .
I actually already made the baffles, all i need to do is get the speakers and cut out the right size for the speaker to fit.
speaking of baffles..... do you guys make an enclosure for the rear of the speaker, like the stock speakers which are enclosed in plastic box, or do you just put them into the mdf board and use the doors as the enclosure?
Old 03-17-06, 08:20 PM
gs300iluv
Driver School Candidate

Use a JL 300/4 to power them. check out www.caraudio.com - its a good forum where I get most of my car audio info from

by the way - nice sub, I have the same in a ported box with a jl 1000/1
Old 03-17-06, 09:32 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vin 78

I agree with Vin completely. The Perfects are awesome. They'll mate up with the JL sub well. A JL 4-channel amp will work well. SO many choices though, Bostons, Diamond, a/d/s, Focal, Polk are all good. Pick a price. I think the Perfects are great bang/buck, but they need a bit of juice to get best performance out of them due to the large magnet structure.
Try to stay away from metal tweeters. If you go metal, you might use the attenuator in the crossover and jack the level down a bit.
Old 03-20-06, 04:49 PM
BklynGS
Driver

So I purchased the rest of my system today. I decided to go with the Diamond Audio's, I got really good prices on these, and JL 300/4 amp. I think this setup should be plenty for my needs. I'll post pics when its all installed.
Thanks for the advice.