Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Battery relocation, whos using what gauge power wire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-06, 09:22 PM
LocknRoll
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery relocation, whos using what gauge power wire?

It seems like 2 gauge power wire is the favorite when relocating the battery,
but is 4 gaude doable?
ill be relocating the battery this week and was hoping that 4 gauge wil ldo the trick, its lighter+cheaper.

ps. im relocating it to the trunk

thanks fellas
Old 03-15-06, 09:53 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

When i relocated mine in my LS i used 0 guage for the + and two 4 guage for grounds in two different spots in the trunk. I really want to relocate my battery to my trunk in the SC also, but am wondering where i want to put it, i dont want it to be seen. I thought about getting ride of the CD player, and putting it there... well see. Share us the plans you have
Old 03-15-06, 10:55 PM
lighthalo
Lexus Test Driver

what is the point of moving the battery? is there something that you are gonna put in its place?
Old 03-15-06, 11:09 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

0-gauge is needed. 4 gauge might work, but I wouldnt use it personally. If you're really worried about weight that much you need to drop the 3600lb SC chassis and go with a 240 w/ a RB26. I mean....the extra 5lbs for bigger wire isnt making much difference.
Old 03-16-06, 12:08 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

0 gauge would be best IMHO.

gadgetSC-t
Old 03-16-06, 02:09 AM
gunyvw
Driver

Originally Posted by lighthalo
what is the point of moving the battery? is there something that you are gonna put in its place?

i dont know why they are moving it ... but one good reason is theft... pop the door then pull the battery cable
Old 03-16-06, 05:08 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

its to either create space under the hood for more stuff, to help balance the weight of the car (cornerweighting) or just for asthetics. Some intake manifolds require your battery moved so you can run a charge pipe through the driver side fender.
Old 03-16-06, 05:11 AM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

where will you run the wire from the trunk? in or outside of the car?
Old 03-16-06, 05:54 AM
LocknRoll
Rookie

Originally Posted by xirforever
When i relocated mine in my LS i used 0 guage for the + and two 4 guage for grounds in two different spots in the trunk. I really want to relocate my battery to my trunk in the SC also, but am wondering where i want to put it, i dont want it to be seen. I thought about getting ride of the CD player, and putting it there... well see. Share us the plans you have
no problem. as many of you know, the sc has very good weight distribution, i think its something like 54/46. relocating the battery ( especially when bulidng a drift/road racing car) will help this weight transfer slightly

im ging to remove the stock 11 disc cd changer ( 11lbs) and put the battery in that exact location. it will fit perfect with a few large zip ties. im going to run 4 or 2 awg through the inside of the car, and probabaly use 2 awg for the ground.

i figure removing the stock cd player makes up for the weight gained by using the poweer wire to relocate the battery. im going to use an ipod nano with a fm transmiter ( see my post in the audio/video section) for music. seems logical.

im not going to do it till next week, but ill take pics.
Old 03-16-06, 05:55 AM
LocknRoll
Rookie

Originally Posted by lighthalo

getting ready for a 1j....good enough reason? i hope
Old 03-16-06, 05:56 AM
LocknRoll
Rookie

Originally Posted by gunyvw
i dont know why they are moving it ... but one good reason is theft... pop the door then pull the battery cable
a car can still run without its battery, after a car starts, the alternator takes over as the primary surce for electrocal energy.
Old 03-19-06, 10:10 AM
gunyvw
Driver

Originally Posted by LocknRoll
a car can still run without its battery, after a car starts, the alternator takes over as the primary surce for electrocal energy.

i am not talking about the car per se... i am talking about the contents in the car... with a lockout tool any car can be accessed in 3 min.
when the alarm starts
the hood lever can be pulled...
next the battery cable...
quite as a church mouse...
then all someone wants is theirs...
car included as it can be quietly towed away
Old 03-19-06, 01:22 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

heres the deal.... if someone wants your car or anything in it, they will get it. a car alarm isnt going to deter someone from breaking your window and reaching in and taking whatever they please. I personally know i can jack just about any stereo in a matter of 3 minutes, not from experience but from the tools of the trade.... a crow bar and a small rachet set can do wonders.

moving the battery from under the hood to the trunk doesnt mean its any safer since the trunk button and hood latch are right there. if you are paranoid about someone hot starting your car there are ways to sheild any and all wires but that is costly and tedious for how likely it is someone will try to steal it. you can always put an inline switch into either the ground off the battery or fuel pump but again... nothing is ever completely safe...
Old 03-19-06, 11:21 PM
kratos
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back on topic here....

I concur...the 1/0 gauge wire is your best bet. It can easily be run on the inside of the car (check my how-to in this forum). If you are running a standard acid battery (as opposed to gel type) remember to run an exhaust tube to the outside of the vehicle otherwise the acid vapours can be harmful and dangerous in your trunk. That, and most race tracks require this. For safety, get an actual battery tray with proper hold down and a battery box as well. The marine type is fine. Under the hood, grab a quality distribution block like a 1/0 in and 4 - 4 gauge out. You may want to upgrade your grounds under the hood as well as the trunk.

Good luck !