Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Ipod line in DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-06, 12:32 AM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts
Default Ipod line in DIY

Mods: If you could please leve this thread here for couple of days, before moving it to its rightful place .... audio/video.

First, I would like to thank member Seattle SCone for his writeup on how he added the aux input to his SC430.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=120322.

For the last 4 months, I have been working on and off to develop a circuit for my son's SC400. Tonight we successfully tested the circuit. The sound was pure and clean, free of noise or static (engine running and off).

The circuit consists of relays, voltage invertor, opamps and voltage regulators. It accepts the line level output from ipod and uses volume + tone controls of the headunit. Like Seattle SCone's solution, it switches in the ipod audio in place of the cd unit signal. Play list, song information and transport control are still only on the ipod.

Salim
Attached Thumbnails Ipod line in DIY-dsc00023.jpg  
Old 03-19-06, 01:04 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you going to share the details needed for the rest of us to get it working in our SC's, or is that circuit you rigged up too complicated for posting?

As you already noted in your post on Seattle's thread, the trick isn't intercepting the four L+ L- R+ R- CD input wires but rather getting the head unit to use those signals when the "CD" button is pushed.
Old 03-19-06, 01:11 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awesome post & project Salim.

Glad to hear that someone has manned up and brought the SC3/4 into the Ipod world in an OEM fashion :thumbsup:

John
Old 03-19-06, 08:35 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
Are you going to share the details needed for the rest of us to get it working in our SC's, or is that circuit you rigged up too complicated for posting?

As you already noted in your post on Seattle's thread, the trick isn't intercepting the four L+ L- R+ R- CD input wires but rather getting the head unit to use those signals when the "CD" button is pushed.
In my case I used the relays (Seattle SCone used the switches). The signal line in switches cleanly and the relays just feed the output of the opamps. In last night test, the CD keeps playing. Down side is that the cd transport keeps moving. My son thinks that if he removes the magazine cover the head unit will keep expecting signal from cd.

Project details:
Harness adaption: I hate cutting into factory harness, so I opened up the connectors and pulled out the needed wires. [L+/-, R+/-, SigGnd] from the cd palyer to the head-unit. Paid $30 to lexus to buy repair kit wires and made a socket for myself. Routed the stuff to the middle arm console. Ran ipod audio and 12v line from ipod power/socket adapter from front to the arm rest.
I canabalized one connecter from the phone set up in SC and rummaged the junk yard for another.

Circuit: Deatails are too complicated to write, but any hobbiest can come up with single to double ended drive with the needed gain using opamps. The dual opamps keep good tracking. Rest of the stuff is the support [supply]. The circuit has pots to calibrate.

Cost: Not including time, I estimate the cost to be around $120. Half going to the ipod adaptor and Lexus for the wiring reapair kit.

Will try to post pictures of the whole setup.

Salim
Old 03-24-06, 08:03 PM
salimshah

DIY mount. Plexiglass and metal.
Attached Thumbnails Ipod line in DIY-ipod-002.jpg  
Old 03-24-06, 08:06 PM
salimshah

inside arm rest with connectors.
Attached Thumbnails Ipod line in DIY-ipod-001.jpg  
Old 04-05-06, 07:27 PM
salimshah

An acknowledgment that slipped my mind (it has been months since I started woking on it).

Richard Mulder of customcarputer.com provided the electrical diagrams that helped me figure out which wires to tap.

Q: Folks who are using FM or tape, do you feel a slight emphasis in bass using ipod?

Salim
Old 04-05-06, 08:54 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Default customcarputer.com doesn't work!

Maybe you can tell us what electrical lines you tapped, so others can do the same and we can then answer your question.
Old 04-06-06, 11:32 AM
muldrick
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.customcarputers.com does not work???? Really? Maybe there was momentary issue, works fine now.

However, I don't have write-ups there related to installing an iPod, I sent him wiring diagrams.

Salim, looks very nicely done.
Old 04-06-06, 08:34 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
Maybe you can tell us what electrical lines you tapped, so others can do the same and we can then answer your question.
For SC with CDplayer - Pioneer

Socket "C" (12 wires connector).

C1 - CD R+
C2- CD L+
C6 - CD R-
C7 - CD L-
C11- Signal Gnd

The above ckt in CD mode will feed the C connector as stated above.
In Ipod mode I am supplying ipod R+, L+ R- and L- respectively.

Let me know if the above is not enough.

Salim
Old 04-07-06, 09:43 AM
cartechpr
Driver

I would like more info on this.. maybe we could get a PCB for it and have a smaller unit.. evenstill... can we use one of those ipod 2 car converters?

This is really interesting.. I have an ls but mine has the nakamichi system.
Old 04-07-06, 10:40 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

anyone thought of getting this and modifying the harness...

http://www.pie.net/store/index.cfm?a...ails&ItemID=94
http://www.pie.net/store/index.cfm?a...ils&ItemID=103

Last edited by GSoup; 04-07-06 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-08-06, 12:26 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Originally Posted by muldrick
http://www.customcarputers.com does not work???? Really? Maybe there was momentary issue, works fine now.
That's not what I said, nor is that what salim typed.

Thanks for the details, salim - like cartechpr, I have a Nak, too.
Old 04-08-06, 06:00 AM
cartechpr
Driver

I can post diagrams of the stereos for the ls400 and gs400 if needed if it helps with ANYTHING at all.
Old 04-08-06, 11:21 AM
salimshah

How important is it that the cd input is maintained. ipod only
ie: take the relays out completly. This means user can only get ipod Gives a substantial foot print saving.

I am exploring building the circuit boards + electronics, but have not figured out how to get connectors for plug and play. It is hard to give the option to unsers to splice the harness. [also RX, GS. LS, IS, LX, ES, GX, and SC] each will have their quirks.

Salim

Quick Reply: Ipod line in DIY