MTX, JL's, XPLOD, VS KICKER

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-06, 08:38 PM
truongsta8
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MTX, JL's, XPLOD, VS KICKER

Which subwoofers should i get?
MTX Dual 12'' SLHT5512X2D or JL 12'' w3 or Sony Xplod 12'' 1200watts or Kicker DCVR12??? Need Suggestions!! Thanks!

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/compa...ategorylist.do
Old 03-23-06, 11:23 AM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Are you into SQ or SPL?

That pre-loaded MTX box will probably give you the most SPL.

And the W3 will probably be the best candidate (from your list) for SQ, as long as its in a sealed box.

I'm not too crazy about kicker subs, but they can get pretty loud.

I've never
really had any experience with the sony subs, so I can't really comment on it.

Remember, most subs are pretty good, what's more important is the box and amp.

Last edited by vin 78; 03-23-06 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-23-06, 07:13 PM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 10" Kicker Comp VR, and my best friend has a 10" JL W3, both are in the same size sealed box. Just for curiosity's sake, one day we decided to hook my Kicker up to her amp (don't remember what model, but it's either JL or Rockford Fosgate, and it's more than powerful enough to push the speaker to it's limits) just to see how they compared. Neither of us could tell any difference at any volume level, so I'd say those models are on equal terms. I don't know about the DCVR, but my guess would be that however it compares to the Comp VR would be how it would compare to the W3. I don't have much experience with MTX, so I can't say anything for or against them. I used to have some Xplod 12" speakers, and honestly wasn't that impressed with them, but that was back when they first came out, and the may very well be much better now. Best bet would be to find a store where you can test them to see for yourself.
Old 03-23-06, 08:40 PM
silverone
Rookie

go with the jl audio no question. i've used all kinds of subs and always come back to jl, but remember the amp you use to run these will make just as big of a difference as the subs themselves. also make sure you use the right enclosure for the kind of bass you want. if you go cheap on one aspect of the system it will make a huge difference in the performance of the other pieces.
Old 03-24-06, 05:47 AM
truongsta8
Lead Lap

thanks for the comments guys...any more inputs?
Old 03-24-06, 09:51 PM
truongsta8
Lead Lap

Well guys.... i have made up my decisions....it was a long day, first off i went to circuit city to pick up the MTX box and as i was there, i tested the kicker and it got better vibes than the MTX so i went witht he Kickers competition subs. 440.98 including tax and equipment protection. I drive to my local shop to look for amps and to install it. The guys ask me what combo i wanted and i told him i just needed an amp for the kickers i just bought. He was shocked and ask me why did i buy them? Where did i get them from? so i told him and he gave me an offer of one sub JL 13.5'' series w3's with a JL amp 500/1 for 850. So i take it and as they finished installing the amp, they tried putting the w3's box in the trunk and it wouldn;t fit. so we had a problem. The store had a JL W6 sub in a box that would fit in my car and the guy wanted to take the w6 out and put w3 in the w6's box to fit my car. I told him no, that would decrease the speakers performance so how much is it for the w6's 13.5''. he told me that it was a $500 difference and i would be looking at 1350. I told him i would give him a GRAND straight CASH right now if he can do it. he said he can do it for 1200. I told him 1100. he said 1150. i said DEAL! so i just got the JL W6 single sub 13.5'' woofers with the JL 500/1 amp for $1150. Not what originally i planned for but well worth the money. The subwoofer is AWESOME. I am very happy with it. People can hear me coming down the block.....well thats my subwoofer shopping story.. thanks for the comments guys
Old 03-26-06, 11:09 AM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i work at circuity here in my town in roadshop. the kicker are better in my opinoun. the MTX sound nasty to me. i see you got Circuit City Advantage Paln too it really is worth i buy it on my stuff. Kicker are better man. get the KKR 06ZX7501 amp to run the those junts
Old 03-30-06, 11:06 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by truongsta8
Well guys.... i have made up my decisions....it was a long day, first off i went to circuit city to pick up the MTX box and as i was there, i tested the kicker and it got better vibes than the MTX so i went witht he Kickers competition subs. 440.98 including tax and equipment protection. I drive to my local shop to look for amps and to install it. The guys ask me what combo i wanted and i told him i just needed an amp for the kickers i just bought. He was shocked and ask me why did i buy them? Where did i get them from? so i told him and he gave me an offer of one sub JL 13.5'' series w3's with a JL amp 500/1 for 850. So i take it and as they finished installing the amp, they tried putting the w3's box in the trunk and it wouldn;t fit. so we had a problem. The store had a JL W6 sub in a box that would fit in my car and the guy wanted to take the w6 out and put w3 in the w6's box to fit my car. I told him no, that would decrease the speakers performance so how much is it for the w6's 13.5''. he told me that it was a $500 difference and i would be looking at 1350. I told him i would give him a GRAND straight CASH right now if he can do it. he said he can do it for 1200. I told him 1100. he said 1150. i said DEAL! so i just got the JL W6 single sub 13.5'' woofers with the JL 500/1 amp for $1150. Not what originally i planned for but well worth the money. The subwoofer is AWESOME. I am very happy with it. People can hear me coming down the block.....well thats my subwoofer shopping story.. thanks for the comments guys
As long as you are OK spending the extra money, I could not have recommended a better woofer, given your first batch of choices. The W6 IS awesome, one of the best sound quality woofers. Mates nicely with the 500/1, great amp.
Old 05-22-06, 10:40 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Drop by Ultimate Electronics and check out the Diamond Audio D6. They sound I think i'm the only one that has heard them because i have not heard anyone comment on them or give them any love!!!
Old 10-24-06, 06:00 PM
2Tone93
Driver School Candidate

EBay is your friend! If money is an issue:
Ebay, pick up:
1 Dual 2ohm Kicker L7
1 Power Acoustik a1000db
Build your own box

For less than $400 your setup will be alot louder than any you've listed.
Wire the subwoofer to a 1ohm load and let it play.
Build the box to around 2.5 Cubes tuned to around 36hz.
Old 10-24-06, 06:54 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

those L7's sound like dookie in my personal opinion

stick with the W6 & the 500/1 you will be very happy with your choice.
Old 10-25-06, 12:31 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

None of the above IMO.

MTX has never put anything impressive out aside of the black gold subs that were well liked, but not by me. Their red SPL subs are being ran by DB draggers, but are also being blown left and right.

JL has been putting out some mildly impressive stuff, but still living off the fame they created with the first wave of subs they designed back in the day.

Kicker has my respect by staying pure and always being an american owned still water company, but they have always sounded muddy to me compared to a higher end sub.

Xplod does exactly what it says it will....... fart, boom, explode.
Old 10-25-06, 08:55 AM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

Glad your happy with what you got. Congrats.
O.L.T., if you would not suggest any of those listed, what would you suggest, and why? Just for the sake of curiousity.
Old 10-25-06, 03:38 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Focal, IDQ,........... some MB Quart.
Old 10-25-06, 09:46 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

^^

If i didn't have my W7 I would have two 23KX's

Quick Reply: MTX, JL's, XPLOD, VS KICKER