Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Buzzing noise that gets louder with rpm???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-06, 04:21 PM
MistaZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buzzing noise that gets louder with rpm???

I just got all new speakers, deck, and amp installed in my 90 ls400 and for some reason I am getting a whine when the car is on and an increase in whine volume when I acclerate. It sounds fine when the car is off. What could this be??
Old 03-28-06, 04:48 PM
ktang235
Driver

I had the same problem with my old ES300, I had a aftermarket deck. The guy who installed it for me said it had to do with the factory amp, I never took it out (never really bothered me) so I dont know how true his statement is.
Old 03-28-06, 05:00 PM
VinnyQH
Lead Lap

there could be multiple issues. the first i would check is to see if the ground on the amp is good, like a tight connection and makes contact with bare metal.

if that is ok, then i would move to the rca's. did they run the rca's with the power wire? if so relocate the rca's. if not, make sure that the rca's are plugged in tight to the amp AND the deck, make sure on the deck side of the rca's are not touching at the contact point.

if it still continues, check the ground on the deck itself. if they tapped the deck ground into the factory ground, try to ground it a different place. if it still persists, then check

after that and if you still have problems, check to see if they put a reference ground on the amp (it is an extra wire which is about the size of the remote wire) a reference wire if you don't know what it is, is a wire that runs from the ground of the amp to the ground of the deck.

still having the problem, swap the deck out.

and if it STILL does it, swap out the amp.
Old 03-28-06, 05:02 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is called altenator whine and usually not too prevelant in lexus/toyotas with correct installs. However this is usually a big problem in honda/acuras.

Anyways you going to have a hell of a time trying to fix this since it involved a bunch of trouble shooting.

#1 make sure speaker inputs to after market amps are not out from stock amp. Meaning your speaker signal isnt getting amplified once by stock amp and once by aftermarket amp (since you got a new deck I am assuming these outputs are going straight to your amp so you should be fine)

#2 bad ground for your amps

#3 your speaker wires or rca wires are too close to a power wire. Usually bad insulation of your wires. IE cheap RCA's ect

#4 you need a ground loop isolator

#5 I shoulda stated this earlier but if you turn down the gain of your amp this usually help the noise and makes it go down alot
Old 03-28-06, 09:32 PM
clubaddict
Driver

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
this is called altenator whine and usually not too prevelant in lexus/toyotas with correct installs. However this is usually a big problem in honda/acuras.

Anyways you going to have a hell of a time trying to fix this since it involved a bunch of trouble shooting.

#1 make sure speaker inputs to after market amps are not out from stock amp. Meaning your speaker signal isnt getting amplified once by stock amp and once by aftermarket amp (since you got a new deck I am assuming these outputs are going straight to your amp so you should be fine)

#2 bad ground for your amps

#3 your speaker wires or rca wires are too close to a power wire. Usually bad insulation of your wires. IE cheap RCA's ect

#4 you need a ground loop isolator

#5 I shoulda stated this earlier but if you turn down the gain of your amp this usually help the noise and makes it go down alot
i had a big prob with alternater whine in my last car...
2 diff systems in the car w/2 diff shops and neither were able to get rid of the whine...
really annoying when you want to drive with the volume low or off and it whines the whole time..
Old 03-28-06, 11:26 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your grounds. if you have RCAs running next to lead wires...move them. just a couple thoughts
Old 04-02-06, 05:41 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Bad ground........try grounding closer to the amp. Also ground to chassis, not inline ground wires.
Old 04-05-06, 05:48 AM
camillian
Lead Lap

You need a Ground Loop Isolator.

I just put a portable dvd in my 06 ML for the kids. I hooked in through the auxilary input on the factory Harmon & Kardon system to get the sound through the audio system and plugged into a rear cigarette lighter input for power. Right away I got the whinning sound when the engine is running. I installed a ground loop isolator on the audio line and it is gone