Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Just ordered these SoundStream combo to share!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-06, 09:05 PM
m500
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered these SoundStream combo to share!

After I receive a lot of hatre with my quest to get at budget mobile subwoofer solution I finally gave up and bite the bullet. So, I contacted an authorized dealer and place my order for the best SoundStream woofer & Amp combo for the amount of my cash can buy. Here are the pictures to the item. Comments are welcome.

SoundStream Reference Series : RFW-12 600w RMS power handling

SoundStream Xstream : XTA600.2 600w RMS power output
Old 03-29-06, 09:45 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

and you spent....?
Old 03-29-06, 09:52 PM
m500
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
and you spent....?

More then I would want $300+ for just Woofer and Amp right now. Now I gotta make my decision on a pre-made enclosure or custom enclosure then working on the installation labor. I guess it gonna be no less then $500 project upon completion.
Old 03-30-06, 02:42 AM
05ES330
Pole Position

Originally Posted by m500
More then I would want $300+ for just Woofer and Amp right now. Now I gotta make my decision on a pre-made enclosure or custom enclosure then working on the installation labor. I guess it gonna be no less then $500 project upon completion.
300+ for an amp and subwoofer combo is not that expensive, take a look at the specs for the subwoofer, it shuld give you an idea of what size box you need.
Old 03-30-06, 05:52 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats not too bad I spent that much on an 8" setup
Old 03-30-06, 06:19 AM
m500
Rookie

Originally Posted by 05ES330
300+ for an amp and subwoofer combo is not that expensive, take a look at the specs for the subwoofer, it shuld give you an idea of what size box you need.
I'm getting it at dealer cost as one of my buddies runs an whole sale audio warehouse. It would be more like $500 for just the sub and Amp from a retail store. I would like to go for an JL W7 but they don't carry it. Kicker was my next choose but the I seem too many used and refurb solobarics that Kind of tell me about their quality.

The sub handle 600 watts RMS with Peak power handling at 1200 watts. I think I got carry away with it. The amp is way too large for my removability concers.

Here is the spec for the Amp:
* RMS Power (4 ohms): 150 watts x 2 ch.
* RMS Power (2 ohms): 300 watts x 2 ch.
* RMS Power (1 ohm): Not Stable
* Bridged RMS Power: 600 watts
* Peak Power Output: 1200 watts approx.
* Min. Impedance Unbridged: 2 ohms
* Min. Impedance Bridged: 4 ohms
* THD @ Rated RMS Power: 0.05%
* Speaker Level Inputs: No
* Amp Preamp Outputs: Yes - 1 Pair
* Built-in Crossover: HP (50-500Hz), LP (30-500Hz)
* Bass Boost: 0 - 18 dB
* Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 96 dB
* Fan Cooled: No
* Fuse Rating: 25A x 3
* Bass EQ Control: Fully adjustable subwoofer equalization circuit providing frequency and boost ("Q") adjustment for optimum subwoofer performance. A frequency tracking subsonic filter protects woofers from potentially harmful low frequency information and maximizes output in a usable range.
* Drive Delay II: Amplifier section powers up 2 to 3 seconds after the poewr supply eliminating turn-on and off pops. The turn off process is reversed: Amplifier section turns off first, followed by the power supply.
* Flexible Input Level Control: Allows 500 mV to 4 V input sensativity.
* Trident 3-way Protection
* IDI (Intelligent Distress Indicator)
* Thermal / Short / Over Load Protection
* Stability:
o 2/4 ohms Stereo Mode
o 4 ohms Mono/Bridged Mode
* P.W.M Mosfet Power Supply
* Power and Protection Indicator
* Selectable X-Over HPF / Full / LPF
* 18db Bass Boost with Switch Sub (50Hz)
* Frequency Response: 10Hz - 30kHz
* Variable High-Pass Crossover (50-500Hz)
* Variable Low-Pass Crossover (30Hz~500Hz)
* Gold Plated Terminal Strips / RCA Jacks
* Heavy Duty Heat Sink
* Adjustable Input Sensativity
* Soft Delay Remote Turn-On
* Low Level Inputs
* Phantom Channel For Powering Center Speaker or Subwoofer
* Dimensions: 24.9"L x 12.4"W x 3"H

Last edited by m500; 03-30-06 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-30-06, 07:50 AM
m500
Rookie

Here is the spec for the Sub:

* Sensitivity: 87 dB
* Sensitivity: The rating of a loudspeaker that indicates the level of a sound intensity that the speaker produces (in dB) at a distance of one meter when it receives one watt of input power. The Efficiency or Sensitivity rating indicates how effectively a speaker converts electrical power from the amplifier into sound pressure. This is frequently related to larger magnet sizes, larger voice coil diameters, and more compliant suspensions. Optimized enclosures are essential in achieving maximum sensitivity, overall. The higher the Decibel number, the more efficient the speaker and the louder it will play with the same input power. While usually more expensive, an efficient speaker helps maximize the potential of the available power.
* RMS Power Range : 600 Watts
* RMS: Root Mean Square is a formula that provides a reasonably accurate means of measuring and comparing continuous AC power. The use of this measure is preferred when matching system components, like amplifiers and receivers.
* Peak Power Handling: 1200 Watts
* Peak Power Handling: Peak power handling refers to the amount of power a speaker is estimated to handle during a brief high-intensity musical burst. Since this can vary with both frequency and amplitude, it is a much less accurate way to judge speaker durability and performance than RMS.
* Impedance: Dual 4 Ohm
* Impedance: The totality measured in Ohms of all electrical opposition to current flow: resistance, reactance, capacitance, as well as all mechanical factors inhibiting the completion of energy transfer in a contained system. In practical terms, this means that most Drivers are assigned a certain nominal impedance based on their DC voice coil resistance and mechanical stiffness. For car audio this is usually 4 ohms; for home stereo, 8 ohms is the standard.
* Low Frequency response: 22 Hz
* Frequency Response: The range of frequencies that a speaker will reproduce (lowest frequency to the highest). While the optimal normal is 20 - 20,000 Hz (Hertz), the range of human hearing for individuals is often much more restricted. A good full-range speaker system however, will reproduce as much of this range as possible in order to cover all variations. Individual Drivers are limited to reproducing only that part of the spectrum for which they were made, so their response will be limited, but still a necessary point to consider when designing a complete sound system.
* High Frequency Response: 1200 Hz
* Frequency Response: The range of frequencies that a speaker will reproduce (lowest frequency to the highest). While the optimal normal is 20 - 20,000 Hz (Hertz), the range of human hearing for individuals is often much more restricted. A good full-range speaker system however, will reproduce as much of this range as possible in order to cover all variations. Individual Drivers are limited to reproducing only that part of the spectrum for which they were made, so their response will be limited, but still a necessary point to consider when designing a complete sound system.
Diameter: 12 Inch

# Voice coil Diameter: 2.5"
# Magnet Wgt. (oz): 120
# Frequency response: 22-1.2kHz
# SPL: 87dB
# Woofer depth: 5.9"
# Recommended enclosure: 0.5/0.8
# Recommended enclosure type: sealed
# Proprietary cast aluminum basket
# UDV cooling technology
# Low distortion nomex cone
# Black progressive roll conex spider
# C-lock rubber gasket
# XLS santoprene surround
# Dual 4-Ohm voice coil
# 2.5" TIL glass fiber coil former
# Woven tinsel leads
# vented and extended pole piece
# Low carbon top and bottom plate
# Rubber magnet cover
Old 03-30-06, 08:18 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$300 for the combo isn't bad. good luck with the setup, let us know how it sounds.
Old 03-30-06, 09:32 AM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good price, good luck with the install.
Old 03-30-06, 11:09 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That's a great price for what you got. Use a ported box if you want more output SPL from it, sealed box if you're more concerned with sound quality.
Old 06-15-06, 08:32 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hook me up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-06, 12:27 AM
05ES330
Pole Position

seems like you will not be getting the most out of your sub and amp combo. the amp is only 4ohm mono bridged stable. doesn't seem like it is a 2ohm mono bridged stable amp. second off, the subwoofer is a 4ohm DVC. that meants the impedence of the the sub will be either 2ohm or 8ohm. if you run 2 ohm you risk blowing out your amp, and if you run 8 ohm you are not getting a whole lotta power going to your sub. this is a common problem that i have seen with a lot of set ups. a lot of amps are not 2 ohm stable unless they are mono class D amps.