Sponsored by:

A question on Lo Jack

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-06, 01:17 PM
newflamenc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A question on Lo Jack

We skipped the Lo Jack ($695.00) when we purchased our GS300. We just received a letter from the dealer stating that they would not deactivate the system and let us keep it for $300. This is just a basic Lo Jack Recovery System... no Early Warning.

Can someone comment on this? We're thinking of going for it... but it does not make sense that they are willing to give us $395 discount. Thanks.
Old 04-09-06, 03:37 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

I've never used it before, but most people say it's better not to have it. If you have insurance and someone steals and strips your car, you will be better off if it's not recovered. Now if you don't have full coverage, then you'd probably want the car back no matter how badly it's been stripped.

Dealerships do this kind of thing all the time - they add dealer-installed features to all their cars because it costs them very little, such as VIN etching in the windows, those additional electronic key starter kill things, etc... Then, when the car is sold, they try to push the item for full price and tell the buyer it's already installed so you don't need to wait for the car to have that feature installed. If the buyer says no, they'll offer a discount since it doesn't cost them anything extra (it's already installed on your car!).

Personally, I'd pass on all of that stuff if you weren't already set on purchasing it when you were buying the car.
Old 04-09-06, 05:56 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i heard this rumor before that if a thief steals the car and puts a small microwave in or near the car it will fry the lowjack like i said it is a rumor i dont know if it works soo dont flame me !! just something to think about
Old 04-09-06, 06:45 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WELCOME
Old 04-09-06, 07:46 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

you would need micro waves to fry it and it would ruin pretty much anything else thats powered on.
Old 04-10-06, 06:11 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by newflamenc
We skipped the Lo Jack ($695.00) when we purchased our GS300. We just received a letter from the dealer stating that they would not deactivate the system and let us keep it for $300. This is just a basic Lo Jack Recovery System... no Early Warning.

Can someone comment on this? We're thinking of going for it... but it does not make sense that they are willing to give us $395 discount. Thanks.
GO for it! That is a great price. They are giving you a great discount because the Lo jack was already on the car and when you did not want it they were stuck. Lojack does lnot like to uninstall there system ( under exreme circunstances they might) $300 is what it cost the dealer everything else is mark-up.
We've had Lojack in Colo. for about 4 years and it is great. Of course it is not perfect but NO system is.it is not a deterant. it just help you get your car back hopefuly quickly and in one piece.
Even w/ alarms,motion sensors,GPStrackers if they really want your car tow if off.
Lojack does not want people to advertise that they have Lojack. That why you won't see any stickers on your cars(like alot of people do) saying that you have the system. If a theft know it is there they will tear the car apart to defeat it,dump it quick or make it a point to strip it fast.
That is one of the problems w/ On-Star they see the antenna and if they rip it out the car can not be tracked. but MOST basic thieves don't even bother. Drive it, sell it or just dump it. Evan w/ On-star something is better than nothing plus it has other good features.

Some guys are saying don't bother with any theft system, if it stolen just have your insurance replace it. Well if your like most people on this site they have added a few expensive mods to their car. In my opinion the more that you have added to your car the MORE you want your car back if you can get in one piece. I f you are familar how insurance works they ONLY pay you for what your car is worth blue book. they don't care that you added wheels stereo or body kit. Some insurance companies will pay you for those if you make a good case w/ reciepts what you paid for the items OR if paid for a additional rider on ypur policy and let them know that you had made improvements to your car that increased it value.

Back to Lojack once it is on it is life time.. There have been people here that have had there care stolen and it was recovered w/ Lojack and they never knew it was on there car. they bought it used. I'm very fimilar w/ the system. and how it works here in Colo.
Old 04-10-06, 06:45 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The dealer installed Lo Jack to reduce their insurance while new and on lease. If they don't get the $300 from you , they deduct the expense. It's not worth it as your auto insurance premium may drop a few dollars, but not enough to cover the $300 over time. (I checked when they made me the offer). It's like the extended service warranty, your better off to insure yourself. The expense is always covered.. and for less money.
There are too many other reasons to insure against loss, not just theft .... The auto's an expendable and each day worth less..
Old 04-10-06, 09:26 AM
newflamenc
Driver School Candidate

The dealer said if I did not want to pay for the system, they will deactivate it. Once the system is deactivated, it cannot be reactivated again. That did not sound right to me. Any commants on this?
Old 04-12-06, 01:50 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

not true. you can reactivate it @ anytime.

One of our staff used to be one of the 2 Lojack installers in western Washington. I had their system for a year or so, but moved to a GPS unit to track the car in real time.

I still have my Lojack in a box somplace

Lojack is a million times better than nothing and they will recover your car pretty fast if stolen.

300 bucks is Dealer cost (as someone noted above). I personally think its worth it.
Old 04-12-06, 03:13 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Here's what you can do:

Find out if the Lojack was pre installed. Call the person who sent you the letter and ask tell them you are considering the Lojack.

**Ask if activation requires a trip back to dealership**

If yes, it means no Lojack and they need to install. If the answer is yes, you can decide if $300 is worth it.

If no, it means Lojack is already on your car. They have probably absorbed the price into the cost of doing business. If the answer is no, go here to register with Lojack:

http://lojack.com/

Towards the bottom left side click on "register your Lojack" and imput your info.

Remember you are required to do a $100 maintenance every two years for your Lojack.

Personally I think Lojack is worth it, like Emerald said it's better than nothing.

Remember to tell your insurance company you have Lojack for a small discount.

Good luck.

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 04-12-06 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-14-06, 11:37 AM
newflamenc
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all very much for the information
Old 05-15-06, 11:32 AM
C21Lexus
Driver School Candidate

"Remember you are required to do a $100 maintenance every two years for your Lojack"

What does this mean? LoJack needs a tune-up?