Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Stock specs for premium system in 2nd gen GS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-06, 02:03 PM
jamie_sd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock specs for premium system in 2nd gen GS?

I did a little searching but was having trouble finding this info...

What are the stock specs of the premium audio system in the second gen GSs? (RMS/peak watts, ohms, speaker sizes, etc)? (All I know so far is that the sub in the rear deck is 10", and I think the system is 4 ohms?)

Is the "premium" system identical to the "premium" systems in SCs and LSs?

I'm starting to think about minor upgrades to the system (maybe replacing the the sub in the deck with a 10" Kicker, etc.) but knowing the stock specs would make that easier.

UPDATE:
Found this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=gs4+swap

Wow, I didn't realize the front speakers were that small. I can't say I'm excited about the prospect of ripping open my doors to upgrade them (had to do than on a Nissan years ago...seemed like a major pain in the butt).

How common is it to just upgrade the sub (well, sub + amp) while leaving the rest of the system stock?

Last edited by jamie_sd; 04-17-06 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-17-06, 03:49 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

From memory...

Fronts are 4 inch rounds, 2 ohms.
Rears are 4 inch rounds, 4 ohms.
Tweets are 1 inch rounds, 4 ohms.
Sub is 10 inch, 4 ohm.

Peak rating for the entire system, if I remember correctly, was around 200 watts. This put a little over 10 watts per channel, rms. Not much going through there. Most of the power was for the sub.

Replacing the stock speakers FIRST will give you a better sound quality. Start with the fronts, rears, tweets FIRST. Then you can go with the sub/amp.

Percy

Originally Posted by jamie_sd
I did a little searching but was having trouble finding this info...

What are the stock specs of the premium audio system in the second gen GSs? (RMS/peak watts, ohms, speaker sizes, etc)? (All I know so far is that the sub in the rear deck is 10", and I think the system is 4 ohms?)

I'm starting to think about minor upgrades to the system (maybe replacing the the sub in the deck with a 10" Kicker, etc.) but knowing the stock specs would make that easier.

UPDATE:
Found this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=gs4+swap

Wow, I didn't realize the front speakers were that small. I can't say I'm excited about the prospect of ripping open my doors to upgrade them (had to do than on a Nissan years ago...seemed like a major pain in the butt).

How common is it to just upgrade the sub (well, sub + amp) while leaving the rest of the system stock?
Old 04-17-06, 04:13 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jamie_sd

Well, if the specs given by Percy are correct, then the system is not the same as the SC. The SC's premium (non-Nak) speakers are speced as such...

Fronts: 4" 4ohm; tweeters 4ohm
Rears: 4" 4ohm
Sub: 10" 1ohm (yes, I said 1 ohm)

In the SC, you have to replace the separate sub amp if you change out the sub. The Nak has simiar specs except for the sub which is a 5ohm.
Old 04-17-06, 04:35 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Specs I gave are for GS, 2nd gen, Pioneer.

Percy
Old 04-22-06, 10:21 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
Well, if the specs given by Percy are correct, then the system is not the same as the SC. The SC's premium (non-Nak) speakers are speced as such...

Fronts: 4" 4ohm; tweeters 4ohm
Rears: 4" 4ohm
Sub: 10" 1ohm (yes, I said 1 ohm)

In the SC, you have to replace the separate sub amp if you change out the sub. The Nak has simiar specs except for the sub which is a 5ohm.
Correct. The GS system is completely different. And the Nakamichi system for the SC is better than the GS's. They cheapened it when they made it for the GS. The Pioneer system is pretty crappy in both cars.