Sponsored by:

Ipod intergration on eclipse avn

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-06, 12:21 PM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod intergration on eclipse avn **Update**

Now that eclipse has an ipod controller (IPC-106)Here has anyone tried it yet? I read the manual and it states that my avn5435 only supports limited controls...skipping songs, repeat, random, and basic search. I believe it also displays the name of the song and artist. If this is true than great, that's all I'm looking for.

I do have some concerns that the manual didn't explain. First is, how fast is the operations? Is there a noticable lag between changing songs? Also by turning off and on my headunit will it turn the ipod on and off as well?

**Update**
Ok my coworker let me borrow his ipod to test this ipod controller. I was able to pick one up after work. If it works to my satisfaction I'll keep it and get an ipod myself. If it's a disappointment then I'll just return it. This is for my AVN5435 so I was only able to test it with this headunit.

Installation
This was pretty straight forward. Connect the yellow wire to a constant source and ground the black wire. The thicker cable connects the controller to the main unit. The other cable connects the controller to the ipod.

Operation
Somehow I was only able to get it to work in SIRIUS mode. In this mode there is 6 buttons in the middle of the screen. >> skips forward and << skips back. There's repeat and random. At the bottom are a few more buttons. The Direct button and and the button next to it (cant remember) doesn't seem to do anything. There's Title which will show the song info for the song that is currently playing shown on a different screen. The 6 navigation buttons are gone in this screen and to bring them back you have to press Title again. The last bottom button is Band which changes the search mode from Playlist to Artist to Album to Songs.

My verdict
I decided that this wasn't for me. With that much music on tap and without a way of seeing what song is on or what is next, I just felt too lost. I know I can probably get use to it after some time but I'll rather wait for a better alternative to arrive.

Last edited by jtgs400; 04-19-06 at 05:53 AM.
Old 04-18-06, 12:48 PM
noop
Instructor

I have emailed Eclipse about this... it will only display song name and artist on the AVN6600, all the other models will not support this.
Old 04-18-06, 01:57 PM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by noop
I have emailed Eclipse about this... it will only display song name and artist on the AVN6600, all the other models will not support this.
Hmm, I guess the manual is incorrect then. It did state that text can only be displayed using SIRIUS mode. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 04-18-06, 02:40 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using the Peripheral iPod2Car Gen 2 kit with the eclipse changer interface cable, and it works fine, however, it only allows me to skip songs.
I'm using the AVN 2454 BTW.
Old 04-18-06, 06:21 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

not sure about the sirius mode, haven't tried that one yet. I know that you can control it through the changer port. that's what i'm doing on the avn2454, the avn6600 is the only double din unit that will be able to be "fully ipod ready". It's entirely possible for the songs to appear in sirius mode, just haven't had a chance to check it out. all of our 5435's go way too fast
Old 04-18-06, 10:54 PM
sanwong
Driver

Originally Posted by 88supramki
not sure about the sirius mode, haven't tried that one yet. I know that you can control it through the changer port. that's what i'm doing on the avn2454, the avn6600 is the only double din unit that will be able to be "fully ipod ready". It's entirely possible for the songs to appear in sirius mode, just haven't had a chance to check it out. all of our 5435's go way too fast
I own a stereo shop in Az and I just installed a AVN7000 into a mercedes c230 and tried to use it with a Eclpise SIRECL1(plug in sirius tuner) and it acts as a changer and didn't show any info on it....called my rep and he had nothing to say!!!!! I have been a loyal Eclpise dealer/supporter, but they really dropped the ball on this one.....they should have waited till next year and gotten it right. This Ipod interface is truly a POS(compared to the Alpine Full Speed)
Old 04-22-06, 10:16 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm going to be getting an AVN6600 within a month. Am I smelling that you can't use Sirius and iPod Control at the same time???
Old 04-23-06, 06:20 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by engin_ear
I'm going to be getting an AVN6600 within a month. Am I smelling that you can't use Sirius and iPod Control at the same time???

the 6600 should be able to do both since it's "ipod ready" but I haven't gotten mine yet to mess with so I couldn't tell you for sure
Old 04-24-06, 08:44 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

If you are going to use the IPC-106 that I bought then yes you can use both SIRIUS and connect an IPOD. You just have to use the IPC in CD changer mode instead of SIRIUS.
Old 04-24-06, 09:59 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by jtgs400
If you are going to use the IPC-106 that I bought then yes you can use both SIRIUS and connect an IPOD. You just have to use the IPC in CD changer mode instead of SIRIUS.
So what happens if I have a CD Changer?
I plan on running the 3083 CD Changer, SIR-ECL1, and the iPod IPC-106 adapter. Is that one too many? Saw nothing on the Eclipse website that would indicate any problem, but....

Jerry
Old 04-25-06, 08:20 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by engin_ear
So what happens if I have a CD Changer?
I plan on running the 3083 CD Changer, SIR-ECL1, and the iPod IPC-106 adapter. Is that one too many? Saw nothing on the Eclipse website that would indicate any problem, but....

Jerry
Should not be a problem as my 5435 supported 2 CD changers and I'm assuming the 6600 (?) you plan on getting should support 2 as well. You may want to look into it further to be sure. If it does then you just hook the changer to the ipc and the ipc to the deck. This should give you Changer1 and Changer2 options in your Source menu. Just chose Changer1 for the cd changer and Changer2 for the ipod and SIRIUS for sat. radio. HTH.
Old 04-26-06, 09:27 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Sounds good, thanks!