Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Will this fit in the Nak. sub space?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-06, 06:49 AM
jb86
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this fit in the Nak. sub space?

the mounting depth is 4 3/8'' and I thought I read somewhere that the stock one was the same...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kicker-FREE-AIR-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-22-06, 09:19 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

yes........................................................
Old 04-23-06, 08:05 PM
jb86
Rookie

Originally Posted by kietlander
yes........................................................

can i just unplug wires from stock sub and put them into this one...also it's 4 ohm and the Nak sub is 5ohm right?

I wanted to keep amp and HU stock and put that sub and these 4'' speakers in place of all the stock ones: http://cgi.ebay.com/Kicker-Resolutio...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-23-06, 08:21 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Remember that the stock sub wont have the traditional mounting holes like most aftermarket subs. I believe the stock sub has its own bracket with 4 screws to hold it down.
Old 04-24-06, 05:26 AM
jb86
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSteg
Remember that the stock sub wont have the traditional mounting holes like most aftermarket subs. I believe the stock sub has its own bracket with 4 screws to hold it down.

i plan on just forcing the sub out o re-use the bracket...i'm not worried about damaging the old one. Will the 4 ohm kicker even work with stock amp?
Old 04-24-06, 06:06 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember, the stock Pioneer sub is a 1 Ohm design. This is a 4 ohm design. I doubt the stock amp will be able to power this unit anywhere near effectively. Also, the brackets that hold down the speaker cover is integrated into the factory speaker. It's difficult to get that whole assembly off.
Old 04-24-06, 01:12 PM
jb86
Rookie

Originally Posted by T0ked
Remember, the stock Pioneer sub is a 1 Ohm design. This is a 4 ohm design. I doubt the stock amp will be able to power this unit anywhere near effectively. Also, the brackets that hold down the speaker cover is integrated into the factory speaker. It's difficult to get that whole assembly off.
i don't have the pioneer system, and I saw on another thread where it is possible to re-use the bracket, you just have to destroy the old sub practically.

edit: if the Nak. system and the pioneer both have 1 ohm pioneer subs my mistake
Old 04-24-06, 06:14 PM
uncle_el
Pole Position

the sub will fit.

however, the stock amp is too weak/underpowered to expect anything good to come from it (i.e. don't expect the stock amp to be able to deliver an apporpriate amount of power to the new sub). you'll need to replace the amp as well.
Old 04-24-06, 08:22 PM
jb86
Rookie

Originally Posted by uncle_el
the sub will fit.

however, the stock amp is too weak/underpowered to expect anything good to come from it (i.e. don't expect the stock amp to be able to deliver an apporpriate amount of power to the new sub). you'll need to replace the amp as well.

The RMS on the kicker is not much higher than the stock...i thought the stock amp delivered about 75-80 watts while the new sub is only designed to handle 100...will 20-25 watts make that much difference....I figured i could turn up the vol. a little more than usual.
Old 04-24-06, 08:26 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

OK, the Nak sub is 5 ohms. It may work. The Nak amp is rated to deliver 100W to the sub MAX, not RMS. My sugestion would be to hook up the sub and see how it sounds before you rip up the Nak sub to install the kicker. Don't think going from 5 to 4 ohms will make that much of a difference, just run the amp a bit harder. Just go easy with the volume and see how it sounds. If it sounds good, let us know!

Last edited by T0ked; 04-24-06 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-24-06, 08:35 PM
jb86
Rookie

OK, the Nak sub is 5 ohms. It may work. The Nak amp is rated to deliver 100W to the sub MAX, not RMS. My sugestion would be to hook up the sub and see how it sounds before you rip up the Nak sub to install the kicker. Don't think going from 5 to 4 ohms will make that much of a difference, just run the amp a bit harder. Just go easy with the volume and see how it sounds. If it sounds good, let us know!
finally someone telling me it may work! lol....and it's only $24 bux if it doesn't, i've got myself a fancy candydish
Old 04-24-06, 09:00 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Or a really big paperclip organizer. I wouldn't use it if you get any hint of clipping. Play a bass heavy piece and turn the volume **** atleast to 12 o'clock. If it sounds ok at that point, I would keep it.
Old 04-25-06, 05:16 AM
jb86
Rookie

Or a really big paperclip organizer. I wouldn't use it if you get any hint of clipping. Play a bass heavy piece and turn the volume **** atleast to 12 o'clock. If it sounds ok at that point, I would keep it.

well i get clipping now with vol. a little past 2 o'clock, the 4'' ones i posted will definately work right?
Old 04-25-06, 06:14 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

The 4" ones will work, but I guarantee you won't be happy with them. They have a sensitivity of 87db. They won't go nearly as loud as you'd like them to. I experimented with several speakers before I bought mine. The volume difference is very real especialy if you keep the stock amp. I compared the Boston Rally (93db) Boston Rally components (91db) Boston Pro 4" components (91db), Infinity (91db), and several others with lower sensitivity (<90db) and it is very noticeable. I settled with the Boston Pros. The funny thing is that ever since swapping speakers, I haven't had any clipping, even with the **** turned all the way to 2 o'clock (scared to turn it any farther). I put in lower sensitivity speakers in the rear deck and the sound stage is definitely pulled to the front of the car. I would suggest you continue to shop for better higher sensitivity speakers. Look at the older Boston line.
Old 04-25-06, 08:09 AM
jb86
Rookie

are you running yours off the stock amp...i was looking at the ones above because they are cheap, direct fit, and the ones i have now are getting muffled, almost blown

Quick Reply: Will this fit in the Nak. sub space?