Sponsored by:

Installation accident.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-01, 05:06 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Man, I was rewiring my car today and was glad i finally have the time to work on it. I started on the right side of my car laying the power cable, speaker cable and the remote turn on on the right side of the car. I used a Stinger 4 gauge ring terminal (screw on type, not the crimpt style ones) to attach the power cable to the positive side of the post. (I disconnected the ground for safety) Four inches from the post was a fuse holder with no fuse in it yet. I put back the negative so I can move my seats forward so I can work on the back seats. I closed my trunk lid and proceeded.

A minute later, I smell burning rubber and I thought....it must be from the outside...but when I saw smoke coming out my hood, I quickly opened it and saw my power cable melting:eek: ......(it stopped where the fuse holder began) and I freaked out!! How the hell did it happen?!!?!? There was no fuse in the cable so it couldn't have been shorting with some other thing....

I then realized that when I closed my lid, the metal part of the lid had touched the Ring terminal cause a horrible short circuit.....Now the tape and stuff around my negative posts are burned through..... ........Oh man....This never ever happend to me before...I'm no expert but I have installed three systems before and never had something like this happend..... Geez.....I hope everyone of you be careful when you install your cars.....I should've used the crimpstyle terminal and bend it so it would hide in the red battery cap.....

Even though his wasn't the cause of my mishap but
ALWAYS PLACE A FUSE IN YOUR POWER CABLE!!!!!!!! Your car could really catch on fire if you don't put one in and watch out where your terminal is touching.....
Old 09-16-01, 06:20 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a nice one also. You know how much a first gen LS hood weights? Well, it fell on my head when I was mounting my battery...I thought I was dead :[`````]
Old 09-19-01, 07:59 PM
SeaDooHHI
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by retrodrive
I had a nice one also. You know how much a first gen LS hood weights? Well, it fell on my head when I was mounting my battery...I thought I was dead :[`````]
LOL, how did you manage to do that? Are the first generation LS hoods supported by struts when opened or by the little post you connect?
Old 09-19-01, 11:57 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yeah, the above statements are right, unless your sturts go out. It did hurt about 1 minute, but then I looked at my finished wiring and forgotten about the pain completely. Just pleasure