Sponsored by:

Need help hooking up a AVIC-D1 by replacing a Nakamichi HU

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-06, 10:25 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hameed,

this tread is great! i'm reading everything because i'm in the same boat. if you have installed the d-1 and the wirings, make sure you take pics of the what wires you connected them to. let us know if everything is operating, especially the bypass function.
Old 05-28-06, 05:14 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

I managed to get the Navigation system fully functional yesterday!!!!

As I mentioned in my last post on page 4, I was not planning on simply hooking it up to the existing amp and then speakers, but will be ripping out the stock amp and speakers, so ofcourse there is no voice output yet.

Couldn't get the bypass function to work yet - I suspect my connection into the empty slot on the power side harness was not secure enough.

Will work on that today and the wiring to the amps and speakers.

Jerry, is this assumption correct regarding the wiring? ( a bit simplistic yes, but I need to get this straight in my head)

1. Power cable from + side of battery
2. cable above connected to plus side of capacitor
3. cable from negative side of capacitor to power distribution block
4. One connector from power distribution block to + side of sub amp
5. Second connector from power distribution block to + side of components amp
6. rca connection from front speaker output on nav to input side of components amp
7. rca connection from rear speaker output on nav to input side of components amp
8. rca connection from sub speaker ooutput on nav to input side of sub amp
9. run wiring from components amp to crossovers and the to front speakers and tweeters
10. run wiring from sub amp to subwoofer

Is that general path correct?

Regarding the camera in the trunk key hole - where can I tap a constant power wire from in that area? I don't see any in this area........
Old 05-28-06, 06:35 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can I see a picture of how it looks?

Scott
Old 05-28-06, 05:31 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Some pics of the install:

Audison RCA cables and 4-gauge ampkit

Look at the mess! Wires coming out of the wazoo....... (nav rather)

Console mess

Rear seats and thin covering behind seats removed
Old 05-28-06, 05:35 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

More wires........... I have no idea how the heck I am going to get the ashtray back in there - there are so many goddam wires in there, there is no space for the ashtray. I tried shoving the wires behind the nav itself, but there is no space there either. Not sure what to do about this problem.

Some nav shots

GPS antenna mounted. I think it looks a bit messy especially the magnet on the car that the GPS antenna attaches to.
Old 05-28-06, 05:38 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Here are the amps and looking at them and the manual I still have no idea how to wire them up.....

C2K-2.5X - this is component speakers amp

This is the C2K-2.0X sub amp

I have looked at the manual and I am still in the dark - http://www.prudensconsulting.com/yah...s/C2K_2.0X.pdf
Old 05-28-06, 06:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Way to go Hameed!

Only comment would be to stick the antenna inside the back shelf instead of on the trunk lid.

Keep up the great work!
Old 05-28-06, 07:51 PM
GSspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAMEED, looks nice man, WOW

i agree, gps antenna inside would look better, where did u get the camera for the rear view, i want one too, but was thinking of the eclipse or pioneer encolsed one but that looks a hell of alot better,
i dont use the key hole anyway
Old 05-28-06, 08:02 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

hey hameed nice install but i think you got lil problem. The connections on the amps are called symblink. Your headunit does not have that you are using regular rca's. You need an adapter to convert from symblink to rca. here is a screenshot of what you need you will find it on zapco.com.

Btw stick the antenna on the rear shelf there is no way that you should mount it outside.
Old 05-28-06, 08:05 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

need anymore help pm me and i'll help I've done many an amp for my car and my boys' cars. So i know a lil. I am gonna be tackling the install of my avic n1 next week but mine is gonna be upgraded to the n3 software.
Old 05-29-06, 04:49 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Way to go Hameed!

Only comment would be to stick the antenna inside the back shelf instead of on the trunk lid.

Keep up the great work!
Thanks Paul.

Regarding the GPS antenna, I deliberately put it on the trunk lid as I have read here on CL some issues that some people had with mouting the antenna inside the car on the rear parcel shelf and their navigation system not working properly. Apparently some window tints (and I had my car tinted before I picked it up), can affect it's reception.

I didn't want to take that chance, that is why I installed it on the outside.

Originally Posted by GSspeed
HAMEED, looks nice man, WOW

i agree, gps antenna inside would look better, where did u get the camera for the rear view, i want one too, but was thinking of the eclipse or pioneer encolsed one but that looks a hell of alot better,
i dont use the key hole anyway
Thanks Gspeed.

I bought an HQ CCD WIDE VIEW ANGLE KEYHOLE REAR VIEW BACKUP CAMERA from ebay seller yanlabonline . I just checked his listings and he doesn't have any more for sale right now, but I am sure he will some more in the future.

It is an excellent color camera with a 1/3 inch sized lens. A lot of not so good ones have a smaller lens.

I have to modify the rear trunk handle key hole (not the hole in the trunk itself, but the hole on the outside that is in the handle) to fit the barrel size of the camera itself so that I can mount the camera in such a way that it slides into the hole from the outside of the handle. That way I can get rid of that "tunnel" vision image the camera has now. Initially when I installed it and was testing it, the image was just great on the nav screen - none of those rounded cut off edges on the screen and I could not believe how nice it was. Then I put on the handle and yikes, I hate those rounded cutoff edges as the camera is now looking through a small tunnel.

The front lip of the camera is very small, so even if it is on the outside, I am pretty sure it will still look very nice and not stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 05-29-06, 04:50 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by Spyder78
hey hameed nice install but i think you got lil problem. The connections on the amps are called symblink. Your headunit does not have that you are using regular rca's. You need an adapter to convert from symblink to rca. here is a screenshot of what you need you will find it on zapco.com.
Yes, I actually do have those cables! I have three sets of them.

Originally Posted by Spyder78
need anymore help pm me and i'll help I've done many an amp for my car and my boys' cars. So i know a lil. I am gonna be tackling the install of my avic n1 next week but mine is gonna be upgraded to the n3 software.
Thanks Spyder78! Can you please answer the amp related questions I posted earlier? Look at the second post on this page itself.

I also posted a link to the manual a couple of posts down in the same post that I posted a shot of the connections on the amp.
Old 05-29-06, 04:53 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

I bought a jig saw from Home Depot and cut the mdf board for the back of the rear seat area.

Plan to do the speaker mounts for the front speakers sometime during the week and then start the wiring for the amps and speakers next weekend.

Hopefully I can be done in another two weekends counting this coming one.
Old 05-29-06, 07:32 AM
GSspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the tip hameed,
man its lookin nice as each day progresses,
well its a three day weekend,so youll have alot more time today, hahaha
alot of custom work is being done, you sould work for west coast customs, with Xzibit, haha
i have this post posted on IE shortcuts, keep visiting it for updates, and keep up on the install,
im next in about 3 weeks, gonna get the Z1
me and a friend of mine are going to get the Z1 and gonna install it our selfs,
so its gonna be funnnnnn
Old 05-29-06, 08:09 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

1. Power cable from + side of battery-correct
2. cable above connected to plus side of capacitor-correct
3. cable from negative side of capacitor to power distribution block- This is not right. Post a pic or model of you distribution block. Usually u ground the negative to the chassis.
4. One connector from power distribution block to + side of sub amp-this is right
5. Second connector from power distribution block to + side of components amp-correct
6. rca connection from front speaker output on nav to input side of components amp-correct
7. rca connection from rear speaker output on nav to input side of components amp- correct
8. rca connection from sub speaker ooutput on nav to input side of sub amp- Correct
9. run wiring from components amp to crossovers and the to front speakers and tweeters- correct
10. run wiring from sub amp to subwoofer-correct

You also neglected to mention negatives for the amps. Make sure you ground them. when you are installing power for the amps disconnect the wire from the batt so that you dont have any shocks.

Quick Reply: Need help hooking up a AVIC-D1 by replacing a Nakamichi HU