Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What (sealed) sub should i put in my rear dash
Diamond Audio D6
5.88%
MTX T8512-44
5.88%
JL Audio W3
52.94%
Pioneer Premier TS-W2000SPL (which i already own)
0%
Something else...so make a suggestion
35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Looking to get a 12" Sub...recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-06, 07:47 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get a 12" Sub...recommendations?

Hello to all. I have a 95gs300.

I'm gonna try to put a 12" Sub in the back panel and build a sealed box around it. I listen to mostly rap, some rock and other good music

I have a audiobahn a3201t

2-Channel Amp Specifications

Amplifier Type: 2-channel
RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 300W x 2
THDat 4-Ohm RMS Power: 0.02%
Bridged RMS Power@ 4 Ohms: 840W x 1
Speaker Level Inputs: no
Preamp Outputs: yes
Built-In Crossovers: HP/LP
Bass Boost: 0-18 dB
Frequency Response: 10-40,000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio: > 100 dB

I'm trying to go for 100%%% QUALITY, good bass response and hit most frequency evenly.

Here are some of my choices so please vote....feel free to make suggestions. MY budget is around 200$$$
Old 05-11-06, 05:48 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Hasn't anyone had any of these subs???

Common guys!! I need an opinion on this really important matter!! This isn't somn to be jokin around with!!
Old 05-11-06, 06:19 PM
Tranceman
Rookie

if you're going for good bass response and frequency i would recommend against a 12". i have been told that in professional systems they only use 10" subs in multiples because they are better for accurate bass. also i recall reading somewhere that it's not good to mount/install a sub on the rear deck if it's not suppose to be there in the first place. something about changing the structural integrity of the vehicle not being good - but this might just be nit picking now.
Old 05-11-06, 07:28 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

JL 12W6V2 all the way.
If you get a W3, get the V2 version.
Old 05-12-06, 10:21 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tranceman
if you're going for good bass response and frequency i would recommend against a 12". i have been told that in professional systems they only use 10" subs in multiples because they are better for accurate bass. also i recall reading somewhere that it's not good to mount/install a sub on the rear deck if it's not suppose to be there in the first place. something about changing the structural integrity of the vehicle not being good - but this might just be nit picking now.
MY buddy used to have in a jetta 3 10" MZS MTX subs in a sealed box powered by a audiobahn a4004t....underpowered and idk how he got them to run stable enough at 1.3ohms, but they sounded bad, with bad bass response and couldn't hit certain frequencies.

MY buddy in a GTO had 2 10" L5s powered by a Kicker amp...800.1 or 1200.1, not sure but again, no quality, no proper response, a lot of bass delay.

I've never really believed in 10s because it's just not my type of bass. 12'' all the way for me

There is a stock sub in my back deck right now so my car was designed for that..sorta. I'm starting to have concerns about the weight of the sub and box will cause problems. But couldn't i just prop the box against my gas tank?? (Keep in mind i have a retarded 95gs300 with the gastank in the way.)

With the sub pointing directly into the cabin, i'm thinkin i won't need as much subwoofer/power compared to it being in the trunk. Anyone care to correct me because i'm just guessing this...
Old 05-12-06, 11:06 AM
sk72
Pole Position

Talking

Originally Posted by Xeeeeeem
MY buddy used to have in a jetta 3 10" MZS MTX subs in a sealed box powered by a audiobahn a4004t....underpowered and idk how he got them to run stable enough at 1.3ohms, but they sounded bad, with bad bass response and couldn't hit certain frequencies.

MY buddy in a GTO had 2 10" L5s powered by a Kicker amp...800.1 or 1200.1, not sure but again, no quality, no proper response, a lot of bass delay.

I've never really believed in 10s because it's just not my type of bass. 12'' all the way for me

There is a stock sub in my back deck right now so my car was designed for that..sorta. I'm starting to have concerns about the weight of the sub and box will cause problems. But couldn't i just prop the box against my gas tank?? (Keep in mind i have a retarded 95gs300 with the gastank in the way.)

With the sub pointing directly into the cabin, i'm thinkin i won't need as much subwoofer/power compared to it being in the trunk. Anyone care to correct me because i'm just guessing this...

I just installed a Kicker Com 12" in a sealed box powered by Kicker ZX300.2.. on my 06 Es330 it sound great dude.. you can visit circuit city to get the feel of it cause they have this config in their car audio section.. also you can mess around with other kicker amp series to suit your perfection. To me I love this bass.. not the type where it rattles your whole trunk ...

Pay a visit n you will hear what said... good luck buddy!! n do let us know what system did you go with...
Old 05-12-06, 12:41 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Tranceman
if you're going for good bass response and frequency i would recommend against a 12". i have been told that in professional systems they only use 10" subs in multiples because they are better for accurate bass.

Whoever told you that is wrong.

If anything, a 12" is more accurate than the 10" of the same version subs. The only reason why people get worse sound with a bigger sub because they do not have sufficient box size. Many people buy prefabricated boxes and just slap in their sub, which is a no-no because all subs requires a specific enclosure .
Old 05-12-06, 09:30 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by GSteg
Whoever told you that is wrong.

If anything, a 12" is more accurate than the 10" of the same version subs. The only reason why people get worse sound with a bigger sub because they do not have sufficient box size. Many people buy prefabricated boxes and just slap in their sub, which is a no-no because all subs requires a specific enclosure .
Absolutely right. The notion that a 12" sub is "slower" is largely BS. The whole thing depends on the quality of the woofer suspension, the matching of the enclosure, and the amplifier quality and correctly rated power.
Old 05-12-06, 09:41 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Oh, and what "type" of bass would that be???
If you do 10"s right, you can have better deeper harder hitting bass than if you do 12"s wrong.
I'm not recommending 10's, just a statement.

Probably right. You will waste less power. But you'll still need plenty of power to reproduce dynamics properly, prob 250-1000W, depending on which speaker(s) you get.
I've made the case for years that when you throw a box in your trunk, and aim it toward the rear, you vibrate the CAR before you vibrate YOU. That results in 1) waste of power, 2) bass delay, 3) cancellation and reinforcement of bass freqs, so that the response is no longer flat, 4) unwanted sounds from body resonance, 5) serenading the neighborhood (some people are looking for that). Sometimes the bass sounds louder, but what you're hearing is actually a peaking of certain frequencies, while others are missing. Basically you turn the whole car into a crude bandpass enclosure.

Jerry
Old 05-13-06, 12:02 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Everyone is leaning towards the JL Audio and so am i. I've heard them before and they sounded clean. Kicker comps are a consideration right now too!!

SK 72, was that sub mounted on the rear panel or just in the trunk??

Has anyone heard the Diamond Audio D6 at Ultimate Electronics yet or anyone have it??
Old 05-13-06, 06:22 AM
sk72
Pole Position

Everyone is leaning towards the JL Audio and so am i. I've heard them before and they sounded clean. Kicker comps are a consideration right now too!!

SK 72, was that sub mounted on the rear panel or just in the trunk??

Has anyone heard the Diamond Audio D6 at Ultimate Electronics yet or anyone have it??

Xeeeeem, the sub is mounted on a sealed box in the trunk. It really sounds great.. like what i said...go to circuit city n test hear it buddy... good luck with your sub search... let me know if you have any other questions..
Old 05-13-06, 03:03 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sk72
Xeeeeem, the sub is mounted on a sealed box in the trunk. It really sounds great.. like what i said...go to circuit city n test hear it buddy... good luck with your sub search... let me know if you have any other questions..
Hey, i'll look into it. Got any pics?

How do you mount the sub box to the rear panel
Old 05-21-06, 11:07 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Default GReat news!!

I got an appointment set up with ultimate electronics on thursday....you guys arent gonna believe this:
They are installing my deck, running 4 gauge wires, running new speaker wire, all the accessories and supplies they need for the install, and mounting/installing/hooking up my amp for 131.00$$$

They wanted to install my components and coax speakers for 100 more but thats too much and i think i can handle it my self!!

Thats only for my mids and highs, i gotta start thinkin bout the sub now
I think i'm gonna go with the Diamond Audio D6, i heard it there and it just sounded too good!! I'm gonna mount it on the back dash and build a box around it!!

I'll post pics and let ya'll know how it sounds asap!!
Old 05-21-06, 12:51 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats on the deal from ultimate electronics. let us know how the install went - i need to find a company that can redo my wiring since the local shop jacked it all up - i have an Avic N1 and they felt the need to use noise blockers because they used crappy wires. blah. a good deck with crap wires will definitely sound like crap so make sure they use good wires man.

with regards to a sub - i'd go with the JL but... BUT... it will require A LOT of power. there's an eclipse deck on sale in the audio classifieds - brand new and it runs 2000 watts RMS. Some have bench tested that amp to 3000 watts. it's a screaming deal that i would have jumped on but i just bought a JL 1000.1.
Old 05-21-06, 03:44 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

I got an appointment set up with ultimate electronics on thursday....you guys arent gonna believe this:
They are installing my deck, running 4 gauge wires, running new speaker wire, all the accessories and supplies they need for the install, and mounting/installing/hooking up my amp for 131.00$$$

They wanted to install my components and coax speakers for 100 more but thats too much and i think i can handle it my self!!

Thats only for my mids and highs, i gotta start thinkin bout the sub now
I think i'm gonna go with the Diamond Audio D6, i heard it there and it just sounded too good!! I'm gonna mount it on the back dash and build a box around it!!

I'll post pics and let ya'll know how it sounds asap!!
Careful Xeeeem. You don't get any more than you pay for. Don't forget these guys are gonna have to rip your Lexus apart and put it back together so that everything still works and without rattles. $130 isn't anywhere near enough to do a good job with that. Beware!

Quick Reply: Looking to get a 12" Sub...recommendations?