Sponsored by:

LX470 Amp install

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-06, 12:20 PM
kjhouston
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LX470 Amp install UPDATED to HOW TO INSTALL

My 01 LX470 Amp blew and I found a new one to replace it with. Having never messed with any car stereo system, how easy of a job is this??? Anyone have knowledge with this? Any ideas where I can get instructions for this task? Thanks.

Mission Accomplished! I successfully changed out the amp on my LX470 tonight. Took approximately 40 minutes. It is located under the passengers front seat.
Move seat all the way up, remove plastic covers at base of seat. There is a bolt under each side. Also remove plastic cover for under seat. Has two plastic clips that easily come off. There is one screw securing the back side of the amp, remove it. Then go to the front and slide seat all the way back. After this disconnect the battery. Once again, remove plastic covers to seat bolts on each side. Then lean seat all the way back. No need to take seat out. Disconnect one bolt for ground wire. Then remove bolt for front mounting bracket. Amp will slide toward center console and come out. Disconnect wires on back of amp. The mounting brackets are secured to the amp. Do not try to remove with a phillips head screw driver. They strip extremely easily. Use socket wrench. Place brackets in same position on replacement amp. Follow all instructions in reverse to reassemble. I was quoted $695 to remove. Bought remplacement amp from ebay for $89 plus $12 for shipping. So I saved $594. I'm a happy man. And if I can do it, then anyone on this board can do it. I don't know a single thing about stereo amps and installation. It really wasn't hard at all. Now hopefully this one will last another 100k miles. Good luck.

Last edited by kjhouston; 05-23-06 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Figured out how to install amp
Old 05-12-06, 01:27 PM
sk72
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by kjhouston
My 01 LX470 Amp blew and I found a new one to replace it with. Having never messed with any car stereo system, how easy of a job is this??? Anyone have knowledge with this? Any ideas where I can get instructions for this task? Thanks.

If you are replacing the amp with the exact same one, it should be fairly easy as all you have to do is unplug the old wires from the amp and plug it onto the new amp. How did you know your amp blew?? in the first place?? did you consider checking the fuse in your amp, it could be that might blew not your amp.

The only hard part is to find out where the amp is located and how to get to it, once you find this out, I think it should be a easy swap. Make sure you have your Battery disconnected before you perform this job.. ( I may be wrong on this but it's just for safety concern)

Good Luck...
Old 05-12-06, 09:21 PM
kjhouston
Rookie

We took the car in to the dealer for our routine service and asked them to check it out. They said the amp blew. $700 to replace. Well, I've found one from a LX that had been totaled, but the inside was fine for $89 instead. Does anyone know where the amp is?
Old 05-13-06, 06:42 AM
sk72
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kjhouston
We took the car in to the dealer for our routine service and asked them to check it out. They said the amp blew. $700 to replace. Well, I've found one from a LX that had been totaled, but the inside was fine for $89 instead. Does anyone know where the amp is?
Try this website ... ask them if they have a manual for LX amp removal... it's a cheap $ to get manuals with pictures

http://www.carstereohelp.com/lexus.htm

goodluck
Old 05-19-06, 05:40 PM
MARTIN G.
Driver School Candidate

Hello. Did You Found The Factory Amp Location? I Have Same Problem/same Car . I Know Where The Amp Is Located,but I Am Wondering If You Solve The Problem With The Amp Replaced. Take Care!
Old 05-19-06, 09:25 PM
kjhouston
Rookie

Amp doesn't arrive until Monday. How about letting me know where the amp is then?

PLEASE
Old 05-19-06, 09:33 PM
kjhouston
Rookie

Martin G said, "I Know Where The Amp Is Located"

Are you taunting me with not providing the answer? Help a fellow Lexus owner out. Huh?
Old 05-20-06, 07:49 AM
5ofakind
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I dont understand why didnt he tell you where the amp was located ????

That is odd....we are here to help everyone out......

Strange.....

5ofakind