Sponsored by:

Bad radio reception on pioneer

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-06, 08:12 PM
icey white
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad radio reception on pioneer

Well i am new to the lexus crowd and have a question. I have a Pioneer AVH p7480 and the radio sucks on it. i can watch dvd's listen to the change no problem, but the reception is horrable. Is this a common problem and if so what should i check first. i know no power antennna so trying to figure it out any help would be greag.
Old 05-24-06, 09:48 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by icey white
Well i am new to the lexus crowd and have a question. I have a Pioneer AVH p7480 and the radio sucks on it. i can watch dvd's listen to the change no problem, but the reception is horrable. Is this a common problem and if so what should i check first. i know no power antennna so trying to figure it out any help would be greag.
Are you saying the power antenna is not connected properly so the antenna does not raise when you switch to the radio? Its understandable because I dont have the power antenna connected on mine either. Just wanted to clear that up before we get started.
Old 05-24-06, 09:50 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple things. If you are in fringe area it just may be difficult to get reception. FM signals require a line of sight and have a limit of about 25 miles. Under optimal conditions maybe farther. If there are available stations in your area be sure your antenna is clean and fully extended. Check the antenna connection to the cable to be sure it is not broken. Assure that your antenna cable (coax) is not broken (cracked insulation, cuts and brakes) along its length and it is the appropriate length so that you have the lowest SWR (standing wave rate, OK I am showing my age). Note that a prepared cable (manufactured) that is properly "terminated" at both ends is usually made to be the "optimal"length. Be sure that the cable has not become "pinched" somewhere along its length and has made contact with the body of the car. This might have happened during a repair to some other component of the car. Assure that the antenna lead is properly and tightly seated in your head unit. Rarely do the head units go bad in the tuner section but it does happen.

An auto-radio shop in your area usually have the necessary meters and expertise to quickly assess your setup and make necessary repairs.
Old 05-25-06, 06:22 AM
icey white
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i know i have only had the car a week, but i guess the power antenna must be disconnected becuase i A) haven't seen it come up. B) don't know where it is. I guess i need to take a closer look over the car. i Checked the terminationin the back of the head unit, and it was good. I guess for some reason i was led to believe that the antenna was in the back glass.
Thanks for the help all oppinions welcome.
chris